Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General '12/'13 Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by $100T2, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright folks, I need some help here. Apparently my team is pitiful. My best player, Aaron Rodgers, has been nothing but disappointing (and outscored by my back up Mark fucking Sanchez for the last two weeks), and none of my other players are superstars. So, who should I start this week.

RB
    Michael Bush - and hope Forte doesn't play
    Daniel Thomas - and hope Reggie Bush doesn't play
    Willis McGahee - he is listed as Probable but got pulled from the game early last week so I don't know if I should roll the dice on him
    Shonn Greene -
    Michael Tolbert - yeah, I am not playing him, but he is an option

I already didn't play Torrey Smith in Thursday's game which may have been a mistake.

Suggestions?

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why wouldn't you play Torrey Smith after last week? That guy is a must start every week, without a doubt.

I'd go McGahee and Bush. Even if Forte returns, he won't be 100%, and Bush will always get the goal line carries, so he'll be a TD vulture all season. McGahee is probable, and likely to get the vast bulk of the carries.

3. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

McGahee may be both the best and safest bet here. Not only is he probable but they're playing the fucking Raiders. You should definitely start Torrey Smith every week. That dude has been my best draft pick this season.

4. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just have this sneaking suspicion that McGahee won't play much. Of course this is based on absolutely nothing. Another sneaking suspicion is that as soon as I play Torrey Smith he'll have a shitty week. Same on if I ever decide to bench Aaron Rodgers he will finally do something.

5. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Few things.

First, Wide Receivers will have shitty weeks. Even Calvin Johnson has a shitty week here and there. That is the nature of the position. Sometimes the QB has an off game. Maybe it is windy, maybe the defense is cheating over towards your guy, or maybe he'll just get a case of the dropsies, but they WILL have a shitty week. This is why Wide Receivers are less valued than running backs. RBs are guaranteed to get the touches. There are no guarantees with Wide Receivers. It sucks, but going into the week, you're playing your best bets. At this point, Torrey Smith is clearly Flacco's go-to guy, and he will be the best bet, unless you have some AMAZING receivers above him.

It took me a long time to learn this: you have to just go with your most talented guys at the wide receiver position, because more often than not they'll produce. The weeks they don't, you might lose, and that sucks, but it is part of the game. Last week, in the league I was dominating in and was in 1st, I ended up losing after my wide receivers all put up only single digits. The week before, all three exploded for massive numbers, giving me the biggest blowout in our league. You just have to hope they don't all shit the bed the same week. If you always play your best wide receivers, you're playing the odds that they won't all have a crappy week the same week.

Rodgers is another good example of always playing your stars. If you told ANYONE who played fantasy football that you benched Rodgers for Sanchez, on any week, they'd smack you and call you an idiot, even if it turned out you were right. You don't draft Rodgers in the first round to NOT play him. You draft Rodgers as your starter, until he gets injured. You draft him because he has the potential to throw four TDs and 400 yards on ANY given week. Sanchez has the potential to throw 3 TDs and 300 yards on his absolute best week, but is more likely to throw for 200 yards/1 TD/1 INT. If you're truly worried and don't want to start Rodgers? Trade him for a guy you DO want to start every week. There will be no shortage of people in your league who will be drooling at the chance to get Rodgers.

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, I was never seriously not going to play Rodgers, I am just bitter about him.

For WR, I already didn't play Torrey Smith so too late to make that change this week. He has only been doing quite well for a couple of weeks, and I have been sticking with Wes Welker and Steve Smith. But I will likely switch that up next week.

What I actually was questioning is which RB to play given the injury status.

edit - actually take that back....went back and looked and actually played Torrey Smith week 2, but benched him last week because I heard he had a death in the family and wouldn't play. They were wrong.

7. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bush (assuming he plays), Sproles, Welker, Bowe, Benson, Leshore. Pick 3.

Current thinking Bush Welker Bowe.

8. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guess I should have asked about wide receivers too, I picked up Brian Hartline last week, but he is just hanging on my bench with his 36 points. I am starting to think I am just no good at this FF stuff.

(I say this but I am on this top so far this week, 100+ points with a RB and Kicker to play on Monday....I just could have had MORE)

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hoo boy. Good fantasy week for me, to make up for losing all three last week. In my work league I had 153 points. Holy fuck. Andre Johnson was my worst performer on that team.

This board's money league, 128, free league, 127. I... shit, I guess it was just that everyone I owned had a shitty week last week.

10. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I left Hartline on my bench too but no one could have seen that coming. Who knew based on his one 20+ point week and two weeks with under ten points that in week 4 he would have a 40+ point game (ppr league). If I had played him I would be #1 in my league but that's how fantasy goes.

In other news, Ryan Matthews is fucking all of his owners because of his butterfingers. That motherfucker didn't even get the start today and left me with a measly 10 points. I knew I shouldn't have taken him with my second pick.

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I started him in two leagues. Fuck Me.

The worse part? Fucker is playing against New Orleans and that god awful defense next week. How can I take a guy with the ability of Mathews and bench him against New Orleans? Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

In other news, my RB starters (Mathews and Ray Rice) were vastly out scored by my bench guys (Ridley, McGahee, Morris). I really need to get rid of a few of these guys, but my WRs (Roddy White, DeSean Jackson, Stevie Johnson) are all really good, my TE (Jimmy Graham) is great, and I struck gold with RGIII. I just can't think of anyone that would be a major upgrade over some of these guys. Besides, apparently no one is willing to trade with me.

12. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dammit. I needed Brandon Marshall to have a 28 point game in order to win my game this week. He had 26.8 points in our ppr league. It's far more than what he was projected to have. So close yet so far. If he had a 14 point game as projected I wouldn't feel nearly as disappointed.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does this trade make sense: Give Morris and Amendola, for Wallace and Garcon with an agreement to swap Amendola and Garcon back in 3-4 weeks. Amendola is slated to come back in about 4-6 weeks. It's worth noting that Wallace has had his bye week, while the other players have not.

The advantage is that I get Garcon while Amendola is out, without having to risk someone else picking up Amendola in the interim off waiver wires.

Rest of my lineup:
    Brady
    Lynch
    Green-Ellis
    S Johnson
    Decker
    Graham (Bye week TE TBD)
    Morris
    Hanson
    Bears (Bye Week MIA)

Bench:
    D Martin
    Amendola
    A Smith
    A Hawkins
    A Roberts (to be dropped for a TE)

14. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright, time for my weekly "help me" post. I am finding this FF league to be very frustrating (as I am sure most people do) because I am 4/14 in total points, but am 2-3. How is that even possible? Just bad luck?

Anyway, here is my team, I have lots of players on byes so my options are limited.

Definite:
    Aaron Rodgers - QB
    Owen Daniels - TE (quickly becoming my favorite player on my team)
    Ravens - D
    Blair Walsh - K (Picked him up because Robbie Gould has bye)

Options:
    RB - Willis McGahee vs. SD, Shonn Greene vs. Ind, Daniel Thomas vs STL (inured so he may not even play)
    WR - Welker vs. Seattle, Torrey Smith vs. Dallas, Brian Hartline vs. Mia

I also have Jason Whitten as a TE option, but I like Owen Daniels unless somebody has a compelling reason for switching.

Any thoughts?

I really think I should be winning more.

15. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure how you have to set your lineup, but I'll tell you who I wouldn't play and why.

I'd avoid Hartline and Tannehill versus a St. Louis defense that hasn't given up a 100 yard receiver since Calvin Johnson in week 1.

McGahee in San Diego seems like a bad play too. San Diego's defense hasn't given up a 100 yard rusher all year. Jamaal Charles did alright, but that was 3 weeks ago, and he's the focus of Kansas City's defense.

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Assuming you play 2 and 2, you should be playing McGahee, Greene, Welker, and Smith. Avoid Thomas, as there's no reason to think he'll actually get carries. Touchdown vultures like him are inherently unreliable, and he had a concussion last week. Sit Hartline as he is largely a one week wonder (otherwise decent but unexceptional) whereas the other two guys are studs.

17. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eric Decker tripping in the open field pretty much encapsulates my fantasy team's luck in one perfectly symbolic moment.

18. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In light of last week's injuries, should I drop the Ravens D/ST? Should I wait it out a week and see how they recover? Options I could pick up at this point are Buccaneers, Rams, Browns, Jaguars.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone feel that Turner has much value in a trade? It's a 12 man PPR league. My receivers are currently Andre Johnson, Crabtree, Meachem and Heyward-Bey (start 3). My other two RBs are Matthews and Gore, and our league has no flex. I have to keep Turner for this week because Matthews is on a bye, but what sort of receiver could I expect to get of him? Is it realistic to expect an upgrade at the position?

20. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't see why not. He's a viable starter every week, albeit unspectacular. There has to be someone with only one solid back. I think your goal should be something like Meachem+Turner for Decker/Demaryius Thomas/Desean Jackson/Steve Johnson/Garcon, with maybe a garbage back coming your way. Anything higher is unlikely.

As for the Ravens defense, it's unlikely to matter much. They've been serviceable but not great, and those defenses listed aren't very good (the best one, St Louis, has New England, Green Bay, and its bye week in the three weeks. The Bucaneers are going against the still-prolific Saints). I'd slightly prefer Cleveland to Baltimore given performance thus far, injuries, and Joe Hadden's return, but it's a very weak preference.