Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Aug 16, 2010.

1. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Maybe take my advice with a grain of salt since I've never played in a 2 QB league, but I would consider trying to trade Sanchez before dropping him outright.

Jackson isn't eligible to play until Nov. 28, I believe. And even when he is eligible, there's no guarantee that San Diego will actually play him. AJ Smith is a stubborn asshole of a GM, and he may want to sit Jackson simply to try to harm whatever deal Jackson gets in free agency next year. While its entirely possible that Jackson comes in the last few weeks of the season and puts teams over the top in the playoffs, I personally believe that the odds are against that happening.

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think San Diego is flailing, and if they lose their next two or three games before Vincent Jackson comes back, they'll be pretty much out of the playoff hunt. I think if they're out of the hunt, AJ Smith won't hesitate to force Norv to keep V-Jax benched.

AJ will do it for a few reasons:

1) Norv will get shitcanned either way, and AJ will know that any blow-back controversy from benching V-Jax will fall on Norv, who has the ultimate decision
    2) AJ Smith is a vindictive asshole who has no qualms fucking his team over to make a point.

Bottom line? Even if V-Jax returns and does play, there is no guarantee he will be good. He has missed a lot of time. His chemistry with Rivers will be off, and Malcolm Floyd hasn't exactly been shitty in Jackson's absence (pending he comes back from that hammy injury). I don't have a lot of hope for Jackson to do well this season. I do hope he goes into free agency and the Bears sign him in the off season, though.

3. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's fairly well known that if you decide to play in a fantasy football league, you should make oan effort to play the whole season, especially if there's money on the line. My experience, however, is that this is rarely the case, there is usually one guy who either gives up or stops caring, and fucks the system up for everyone else. It sucks, but I've gotten used to it.

Until this weekend, when I discovered a new kind of fantasy football rage.

I am tied for first place in a ten team league with one of my good friends. He and I both have really strong teams, and are very competitive. So, imagine my anger when I looked at his opponent and saw that he was starting empty positions for his two rbs, which I was in what was at the time a pretty tight matchup of my own. I texted my friend who informed me that his opponent hadn't forgotten about the league, he deliberately left to empty positions so he wouldn't have to drop guys he liked who were on bye this week.

Here are the guys on his bench that he just couldn't let go of:
    Michael Turner
    Jason Snelling
    Ahmad Bradshaw
    Brandon Jacobs
    Desean Jackson
    Johnny Knox
    Malcolm Floyd
    Michael Vick

JOHNNY FUCKING KNOX?!?!? REALLY?!?!

Worst of all, he's not even the basement dweller in this league! He's 4 - 3!

I managed to win anyway, thank you Calvin Johnson, but this puts me at a severe disadvatage in the points for and against. Fucking prick.

4. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Off the top of my head, he could have dropped Knox and Snelling. Maybe Jacobs, too. I can't imagine anyone in a 10 team league seeing Johnny Knox or Jason Snelling hitting the waiver wire and going 'HOLY FUCK I MUST HAVE HIM!"

That being said, points against doesn't determine shit in my league, except who has had the worst luck in matchups. It goes by record, followed by points for. I can't imagine points against ever being an issue. You'd have a right to be pissed if your buddy won and you lost (and you'd have a right to give the guy shit relentlessly through smack talk, like asking if you plan to split the winnings at the end of the season and whatnot).

5. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'd just like to thank Roy Motherfuckin' Jones for saying the following:

Fred Jackson is a pussy. He's fantasy fool's gold.

Pickup Josh Freeman and Bount off of waivers and start them. You'll be winning by 20 at the end of Sunday night thanks to their combined 65 points with Foster and Garcon going on Monday.

Thank you, Roy Jones.

6. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So Randy Moss is undroppable in most leagues... This better fucking work out.

7. mrwoliachi

mrwoliachi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Who's the highest RB that one would trade for Hakeem Nicks?? What are some names you guys see as reasonable.. Or a packaged deal of Nicks and Matt Forte for ADP and another RB.. I have too many WRs and need some space for RBs. My team is 3-5 after this weekend but I'm hoping for a strong season finish with some strategic trades and all my byes gone. I really need some RBs and the wire is a barren wasteland.

Also, I don't see VJax sitting out the rest of the season after he signs. doesn't make any sense. Granted, I've sat on this rotten egg the entire season so I'm a little biased in my speculation.

Also, Randy Moss will be picked up ASAP

8. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It all depends on who needs WRs in your league. If the ADP owner is in desperate need of WRs, then maybe you get ADP and his #3 back. The problem with trying to trade for a guy's #1 and #2 back is most intelligent owners are going to say no because it weakens their depth far too much. Now, Nicks has approximately 100 points on the season, and that's surprisingly good. But he doesn't have the name recognition or history of big seasons, so it may be tougher to get a big time RB in return for him. I could see a Nicks for Michael Turner trade being successful. I could also see a Nicks for Ray Rice working. Just depends on how much those owners need WR v. RB.

I feel like I may have just made out like a bandit in a trade. I've been trying to get an upgrade at WR because of Moss' underperforming and uncertainty. I think I did pretty good:

I got: Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson
    I gave: Eli Manning and Braylon Edwards

Schaub has been a disappointment this year, but I have Flacco on my bench so I'm not too worried about that. Braylon is too inconsistent, and with Holmes getting more targets each week, his value to me was at its lowest. Johnson is dinged up, but he still plays and performs at a decent level each week. This leaves me pretty good at WR with Johnson, Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, and Dwayne Bowe. Plus if Schaub starts performing to expectations, I could be a beast come playoff time.

9. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So in the one league where I'm not doing great, I made one last desperation trade with another guy who is struggling. I gave up:

Matt Schaub
    Andre Johnson
    Jahvid Best

and I got:

Aaron Rodgers
    Greg Jennings
    Ryan Matthews

If Schaub gets his shit together and Andre gets healthy, this trade will bite me in the ass. If not, I'll look like a fucking genius.

10. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm loving it.

My week 9 lineup was:

Vick 41 points
    Foster 33 points
    Turner 28 points
    Bradshaw 22 points
    Nicks 28 points
    Fitzgerald 15 points
    Saints Def 39 points
    Grodowski 1 point (stupid drunk kicker)
    Heath Miller (tonight)

Bench
    Flacco
    Harvin
    Blount
    Breaston
    Cooley
    Miller
    P. Thomas

I have now scored 170+ in the last 3 games, beat the first place team this weekend to draw into a tie for first place, and I am leading the league in scoring. We don't have playoffs. We split the pot between best head to head record and most points scored. While everybody else struggled through the byes, I've posted my best scores all year.

The best part is that my first and third round picks (the turnaround pick to boot) were Ryan Grant (IR since week 1) and P. Thomas (who got his foot cut off and won't admit it to anybody setting his recovery waaaaaaay back).

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damn it! Matthew Stafford goes down again. I started the season with Romo, and then hoped that Stafford would help carry me. He went down too, so I was forced to make a trade.

I ended up trading Jacob Tamme to a guy with 3 QBs for Joe Flacco. I'm not exactly excited about finishing out the season with Flacco, but at least he'll be serviceable, at the least.

12. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I was down by 39.1 points going into this Monday Night game, my opponent was the high-scorer of the week for our entire league. I had Vick left, my opponent had no one. Vick has 250 passing, ~70 rushing, 5 total TDs, and got me 40+ points...and it's not even halftime yet.

I (almost) feel bad.

13. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in a similar situation, except I have McCoy and Maclin, and I was down by 40. I need 8 more points. Another Maclin or McCoy TD will seal it for me. 4 catches for 60 yards seals it for me. 80 rushing yards... fucking 8 points is all that stands between me and a major comeback victory that would be god damned delicious for a few reasons:

1) I'm playing my little brother. His "points against" stat is far and away the lowest in the league, a full 100 points below the next closest team. In other words, he has been luckier than anyone in fantasy football this year. As a result, he is 6-3.

2) If I don't win, I likely won't make a playoff spot. A win keeps me in 8th place (top 6 make the playoffs) and 1 game behind the 7 and 6 spots (with more points). A win keeps me in the hunt.

3) This is my more expensive league ($40 buy in, 12 teams) so there is a tasty pot at the end. I also have a really excellent playoff schedule for my team, and I just made a big trade for Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings (gave up Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson). I really want that trade to pay off, but I need to win this week with them out for it to matter.

So, in summary: Hey, Michael Vick: STOP RUNNING THE BALL IN YOURSELF, DICK! GIVE IT TO MCCOY OR THROW IT TO MACLIN!

14. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I, too, almost feel bad.

Except my opponent had Mike Wallace (who went nuts in the last 7 minutes of last night's game and put me down 143-89. I have Vick and Cooley, and he has Akers.

Vick has scored 65 and I am winning 155-152.

This is after suffering a TD drought this week from Foster, Bradshaw, Turner, Nicks, and Fitzgerald.

15. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wow, I'm glad I wasn't going against someone with Vick on their team this week. That was a clinic. I really regret not picking him up off the waiver wire this year.

Currently I'm sitting in the final playoff spot, but I'm only one game up on the guy behind me (though I'm tied record wise with the 3rd and 4th place people with only a small total points scored margin separating us). This week I get the #1 guy in our league, so I'm trying to make sure I get production from every lineup spot. And with last night's Eagles performance, I'm worried about my defense, the Giants, who are going up against the Eagles this week.

Some of the available teams include:
    Arizona (v. Chiefs)
    NY Jets (v. Houston)
    Kansas City (v. Cards)
    San Diego (v. Denver)

Those are probably the best defenses available. I'm not confident in starting the Giants this week, especially since they crapped the bed against Dallas this past weekend. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. It seems like all of my options are shitty, but I don't really want to have to make a trade for one week of the Baltimore defense (v. Carolina). Thanks.

16. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of those four, I'd go with Kansas City or the Jets.

In ESPN leagues, Arizona's given up the third most points to opponents' defenses (source. Obviously I'd be a little worried about KC after the way Denver shit all over them, but Arizona's offense is a far cry from what Denver has going for them right now.

As for the Jets defense, they're not as dominant as they were last year, but they're having a decent year fantasy-wise and should be a decent option also. I wouldn't touch Arizona or SD this week.

17. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I agree with this, and think I'd rank KC over Jets this week. My thought process for waiver-wire defenses is usually to pick the one that has a chance for tremendous upside, but very little chance to get me negative points. With KC, coming off that awful performance vs. Denver, I think there's very little chance they give up 21+ points. On the other hand, I think there's a semi-decent chance they could get a pick 6 vs. Anderson, or have Arenas/Mccluster run one back. They tend to play better at Arrowhead as well.

Compare that to the Jets, who COULD have a big week vs Houston, as Schaub has had a down year to this point, but could also very easily give up 28+ and have Foster/Andre Johnson go off. I think it's less likely that KC gets you negative points.

18. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just traded Keiland Williams (garbage backup-backup RB) + my 3rd & 4th rd picks next season for Adrian Peterson & his 5th & 6th picks next season.

I wonder if this shit is going to get veto'd by the other guys in the league but I think it's a genius move on my part. He's out of the playoffs, my RB situation is a little weak for the playoffs.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could use some advice. Currently 5-5 in my league, and with no one being far in the lead I could easily be ranked 1rst going into the playoffs (or miss them completely).

Scoring: 4 pts per passing td, no ppr, 1 point per 10 yards/6 pts per td rushing/receiving,

Start: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, one flex, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 DST, 1 K

Here is my roster as it stands.

My main problem is that my receivers suck. I had no idea the bills passing game would be this abysmal (not that I was expecting greatness, but come on) and I thought Ochocinco would be better than TO. Grant going down hurt my team, but I was a lot deeper at that position. I currently have three good QBs: Rivers, Orton, and Roethlisberger. Since we start 2 in this league a trade involving any of those 3 could help virtually anyone. Who should I go for? Which back ups should I throw in? Which QB should I trade? I don't want to lose Rivers, but for the right deal I'm cool with it.

20. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I need assistance in picking my flex player this week in my PPR league. I have narrowed it down to the following:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis vs. IND
    Malcom Floyd vs. DEN

Right now, I am leaning towards the lawfirm, with the hope that NE will get an early lead, then run the ball to keep Peyton Manning off of the field. But Malcom Floyd has big play potential, given SD's offense, and could get a lot of looks if Antonio Gates misses the game.

I am 4-6 and could get in the playoffs if I win the next three weeks. Thanks for the help.