Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

HAPPY AMERICA DAY!!! July 4th WDT 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's about a toss-up between hippos and cape buffalo. Both very aggressive.

Nett, I think it's pretty rose-tinted to suggest some kind of meaningful number of elephant hunts are "asshole" elephants that are causing meaningful problems for local villages. Especially given that elephant populations are plummeting.

In any event, it's just not a mentality I'm ever going to be able to understand. Go to a foreign country, find a large/dangerous animal that's not instinctively afraid of you at all, put a bullet in its head. Why? There's nothing sporting about that. Go sit in a tree and look for deer. At least the deer are afraid and will bolt at the first sign of a human.

2. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I grew up wearing these*:
    [​IMG]

In retrospect - awwfuullll. There's absolutely no way I will ever wear a waistband like that ever again.

*No seriously. I had this exact style in 2 colors.

Seriously. Think waistbands a la Shania Twain in Any Man of Mine.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Every girl wore those. Or "baggies/Happy Pants. Or tapered jeans lined with safety pins. All these things are being resurrected, Jason-like, to make women look less attractive. I know women dress this way to impress each other, because there is no man alive that likes that nowadays.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There's no right or wrong answer to the ethics behind big game hunting, as everyone has their own feeling about it, especially depending on whether or not it's in your own back yard. Our idea of a majestic beast of the plains might just as easily be another person's idea of "that bastard that ate my sister" or the reason they don't go out at night.

To be clear, there is a huge distinction between ethical big game hunting and trophy hunting, and I'm not condoning the latter.

But you can't oversimplify things by making blanket, generic statements like "elephant populations are plummeting so we should stop big game hunting". In areas where there is controlled hunting, the big game populations are actually on the increase.

Source (one of many): <a class="postlink" href="http://africageographic.com/blog/trophy-hunting-in-the-context-of-community-conservation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://africageographic.com/blog/trophy ... servation/</a>

Ecosystem management is a very, very complex thing, and it's often times impossible to talk about it with any real clinical detachment when it comes to what we consider exotic animals due to us not being in that ecosystem.

5. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

I've heard this mentioned several times. I don't get it.

Things I've thought when trying on clothes:

"Is this too tight?"
    "Is it too loose?"
    "Who the hell would buy this shirt?"
    "Why is one pant leg longer than the other?"
    "Why can't I get this over my head?"
    "Um, no."
    "Good Lord, get this off."

Never ever have I thought "wonder what the ladies will think of this?" Ever. Never crosses my mind.

And shimmered--just looking at those pants is making me uncomfortable.

6. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Me too.

I don't like when things touch my belly button.

And women do dress to impress other women. Generally, females buy what other females are wearing. I don't do that though...mainly because the mainstream women's fashion looks awful on my weird ass body shape.

7. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I noticed this too when I was recently on my old university campus. High-waist stuff everywhere, and it made me feel old. It was the first time I went "huh, so that's what the kids are wearing these days?" when referring to college aged people.

I officially can't pass for college age anymore. I made a graph to explain where I'm at in life:

Attached Files:

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Saving Every. Single. Animal. First world problems.

The past few years in DC, the NPS has held a yearly deer cull in Rock Creek Park. Of course the no hunt/no kill zealots push contraceptive as the preferred alternative, yet it is less effective, much more expensive, time consuming, etc. Additionally, the NPS donates the meat to the DC Central Kitchen which feeds the city's homeless so it's a win/win for everyone including the deer which have less competition.

I find the comments section of the various articles about the subject hilarious and sad. I love animals, but will never understand people who hold the value of an animal over that of another human's life. Ask me to choose between a beloved animal and an asshole human? With very few (I'm talking Hitler, Bin Laden) exceptions I'll save the human every time.

In a similar vein, DC Zoo visitors had a chance to watch the circle of life up close five years ago when a fawn jumped into the lion exhibit: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/National-Zoo-Lions-Attack-Deer-69525722.html

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you just decide to go off on a random tangent, or do you actually think this is relevant to the preceding discussion?

Nett; I understand what you're saying, and I agree that ecosystem management is a complex topic. I wasn't implying there is no reason to kill an elephant simply because their populations are dropping, just that I think a flippant reason like, "some elephants are jerks" is a little harmful to the discourse around the topic. It seems to imply there are mostly easy reasons for killing an animal whose species is in danger.

I'm certain you didn't mean it in that spirit, that's just why I responded.

In any event, I think everyone should spend a little time watching these animals if you're able. It's a pretty amazing experience. I was not really prepared for how seemingly intelligent and compassionate the elephants are in their family groups.

#229 Binary, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I never meant for that to be used as a blanket justification for big game hunting, but rather just to kind of remind people that their ideas of what an elephant is (Disney movies, zoos, etc) aren't always how things are in the "real world" where the animals are being hunted.

I also bring this up because in some of the controlled hunting domains, they do actually target problem animals rather than just randomly picking them.

It's not all just wonton killing of Bambi's mom.

For example:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/11/13/elephants-rampage-through-villages-in-india/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/11/13 ... -in-india/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers-blog/2013/02/15/a-village-hunted-by-wild-elephants/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers- ... elephants/</a>

11. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Anyone else feel like we can do an entire thread on the hunting topic? I'm finding it quite interesting.

Anyway, a friend of mine bought me a shit-ton of Guulden Draak 9000. This will be an interesting evening.

Attached Files:

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, hunting has been talked about before... it's one of those things, like abortion, that is just ugly to talk about because most people feel very strongly about it one way or the other, and very few are in a position to want to change their mind.

But if you want, feel free to do up a thread for the suggestion forum and we'll see if a mod is brave enough to set it free.

13. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you mean the discussion of hunting and its use as a wildlife conservation method? It is anything but a random tangent. Instead of reeling off a long diatribe, I'll discuss further in a PM if you'd like.

If you mean the discussion about the return of 80's era fashion to women's clothing, then you are correct, it has nothing to do with it.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm at Sunfest amongst awesome food and music. We're watching this amazing accapella group of Swedish girls, my daughter is mesmerized by them.

15. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just finished watching the latest installment of Transformers.

Michael Bay is awful.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He needs to stop doing everything that he does. He made The Rock-- which was decent-- and practically everything else was shit. It makes you wonder if you handed his movies over to directors like Cameron or McTiernan how much better they would be.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not this shit again.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You paid him money to watch it.

He's made a shit ton off this latest installment, regardless of how bad it is.

Therefore he's going to make more shit.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He has potential to make good movies, but he'd rather make them for 14-year-olds. My biggest beef with him is that he's remade half a dozen classic horror movies and fucked every one of them up, and he's kind of a douchebag. Like how he was constantly pissed off at Jordi Molla for not speaking English well during filming of Bad Boys II. Maybe it's because Molla is from Spain.

People say its because he's a commercial/music video director, but so was David Fincher and just look at his body of work.

20. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

Seriously. They make movies like that because it those movies are a mentally-challenged goldmine.

The sooner movies like "Exposlosions II: Explosion Harder" make negative monies, the sooner this guy can go back to movie-making school and watch a REAL genius at work. Like the dude who made that Miserable lesbians movie.

For real- that guy had Wolverine, Catwoman, AND Maximus singing their asses off. If you can't respect that, then shut your face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.