Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

HAPPY AMERICA DAY!!! July 4th WDT 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You sent a fair number of them my way.

2. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is Quebec still trying to become its own country? Why don't you guys just allow it? What does Canada really gain by having Quebec as a state (I kid, I know its a province).

3. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Um, you do realize USCIS publishes the questions AND the answers:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test/study-materials-civics-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learne ... ivics-test</a>

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Forgive me fellow Canucks for wondering into Stereotypeville:

Canada makes more than 80% of the world's maple syrup, and more than 80% of Canuck maple syrup is harvested in Quebec. Also it's where Canada originated, it would put our economy in a tailspin, blah blah blah.

You're going to get ten different answers if you ask that question. The French "separatists" basically think being French makes them unique and they demand their own nation for it. They have lobbied (and failed) at trying to ban non-French students from their schools and invoke a charter similar to France's that oppresses religious symbols and wardrobe, which is wrong.

Truth be told, The majority of Quebec does NOT want to separate and they made it clear in a recent election. It's a clusterfuck topic and gets too political to get in-depth, but like any political discussion it degenerates into mindless debate. Most of us try not to think about it too much.

5. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok. And? How does that have any bearing on us doing the test cold turkey? You know, for fun.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The problem is that Quebec's idea of separating is like that of a trophy wife... "I'm going to leave but take all your stuff with me and you need to keep giving me an allowance".

If they actually did leave, they'd have to create their own currency, passports/borders, military, etc. They'd lose Federal funding, and job creation/etc. It would also cause problems with shipping lanes in the St. Lawrence, roads, etc.

I really think it's basically a passive aggressive thing the Quebecois do in order to try and get their culture more accepted/recognized/protected. Every time separation comes even a little bit close to being a legit thing that could happen, it gets shot down in a big way as the people who usually ignore them and don't give a shit actually mobilize and give them a collective smackdown.

It's very much a case of the vocal minority making waves.

In the real world, it'll never happen, but it makes them feel better to think that it might.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

French people? Passive-aggressive? You dont say.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

For example: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/the-staggering-price-of-quebec-independence/article17529502/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e17529502/</a>

9. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good points, so they think they are special and unique and want everyone to know that. So they're kind of the annoying person in the room that goes out of their way to show how different they are. I guess if they wanted to separate for real it would have to have happened a long time ago before all the infrastructure went up and the economics became so entwined.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They're the ultimate hipster.

11. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone here from Texas? I've heard they're kinda the Quebec of the States, they keep wanting to form their own country but never will, its more for show.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Separatists are like the angsty 18-year-old who always bitches about how lame his/her parents are, yet their folks let them live at home rent-free, do their laundry and provide them with their cash flow.

And you have NO IDEA how close they came to separating. In the mid90's referendum, common sense won the vote by 0.6% to stay with Canada. That vote was saved by Quebec immigrants, who vastly voted "Non" in order to stay with the rest of our country.

"0.6 in your FACE! I. Am. Ethnic."

13. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Being your own country sounds cool until you have to face the realities of it. Its much easier when you have the Federal government paying for defense, collecting taxes, enacting substantial laws etc etc etc. Like the kid who runs away, they would find out its tough being on your own, especially when the bills come due.

14. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's not serious. The bipeds who talk that talk have an inverse ratio between their brains and mouths. If push came to shove the "USA! USA!" crowd would outnumber the Secesh - though give it enough time and there may be a movement to annex it to Mexico.

There's an native independence movement in Hawaii, but beyond its existence I don't know much about it.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

There are a few radical purists, but its more tongue-in-cheek than anything and nowhere near to the level of the Quebec secessionist movement. Aside from the Civil War, secessionist movements in the US tend to be purely symbolic gestures expressing displeasure with the Federal Government rather than making a serious cultural, economic, or political argument for it.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You know, outside of the incredible history and beautiful architecture in Quebec City, I couldn't give a fuck about Quebec, and part of me wishes that they DID win their separatist vote.

It would have been awesome to hand them a bill and send them on their way.

"Oh... you want to move to Ontario? Welcome to our federal immigration process..."

It's the biggest case of "be careful what you wish for" that I can think of.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I still would like to hit the town in Montreal, which everyone tells me is a great time. The furthest I've been into Quebec is Meech Lake , we were there during the autumn colour change and its one of the more incredible sites I've seen.

Also, Costco has beer there. CHEAP beer.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not enough.

19. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From a culinary standpoint I'll happily take them all.

20. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Clearly you've never indulged in the Quebecois "treat" known as Maple Syrup Pie. Ingredients: one pie crust, sugar, maple syrup, cream, eggs, butter. Oh the diabeetus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.