Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

March Madness 2011

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Diablo, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Looks like it might be VCU-Butler and UK-UConn in the Final Four. At least I hope it will. I hate both UNC and Kentucky, but you know that if Kentucky wins it'll be vacated in five years or so.

So in one corner we have an 8 seed vs an 11 seed, vying for the chance to play the winner of UConn and UK/UNC... Jesus. Can you imagine if VCU takes it? They just knocked off the #1 seed in their region by TEN POINTS. Who says they can't beat any of those three teams?

By the way... what the fuck does VCU stand for? And where the hell are they? New York?

PS -- oh wait, Virginia Commonwealth. It just hit me. Never mind.

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congrats Calipari on making it to your third, woops, I mean first Final Four. How long are you going to keep this one.

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently his campus nickname is Jorts Josh.

Read this article on him. It's...I don't even know what to say.

If I were to find out tomorrow that Harrelson is either a) a serial killer, b) autistic or mildly retarded, or c) both, it would not surprise me in the least. Everything about him leads me to believe that he's what our grandparents might have called "a little bit simple."

4. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

March Madness, indeed.

At this point I could see any of the four remaining teams winning the whole thing, but I think UConn probably has the inside track.

5. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love the KU fans ability to hold a grudge. The consensus around here is that while it sucks that KU lost, at least Roy Williams and his Tar Heels didn't win either because that would have just been too much to take.

How often has it happened that no #1's have made it to the final 4? I guess I will put all of my support behind Butler for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

6. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's happened twice before. 1980 (#2 Louisville, #5 Iowa, #6 Purdue & #8 UCLA ) and 2006 (#2 UCLA, #3 Florida, #4 LSU and #11 George Mason)

At this point I'm pulling for Butler too, but wouldn't mind seeing VCU win the whole thing either.

EDIT:: According to ESPN, it is the first final four without a single #1 or #2 seed. So there's that at least.

7. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

VCU would be a such an underdog story and their winning would certainly be sweet. But I just think Butler has a better chance of going all the way. Of course, what do I know, VCU just took down the top ranked team remaining in the tournament and didn't seem to be suffering from either fatigue or nerves.

8. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I love the fact that VCU didn't even watch Selection Sunday, figuring their chances of making it were so slim it wasn't worth a bother. Instead they watched Cartoon Network and ate burgers, totally serious. That's the sort of inspiration you needed to get to the Final Four this year. Fuck yeah.

9. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would have said that Butler was more talented before the last few games, but recently VCU has looked better. VCU has been playing very good basketball, and while Butler hasn't been playing bad basketball, they've been playing sort of sloppy against opponents who weren't playing particularly well. Obviously this can change at the drop of a hat, but VCU has been playing higher-quality ball recently than Butler.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now that my beloved Heels are out of the running, I will opt to my usual strategy of pulling for the Huskies (my entire family is from southeast CT so I'm a quasi fan). But speaking of the UK-UNC game, that little one-man tear by Barnes late in the 2nd half was straight beast mode. Too bad the rest of the team was too busy throwing errant passes for it to matter.

Is anyone else mildly disappointed that the bracket doesn't work out so that VCU and Butler could potentially face each other in the championship game? Because I think that would be awesome. That's just the way it is, though.

11. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, that kinda sucks, but this way you know there will be a David-Goliath sort of game for the title. Of course I'm rooting for Butler or VCU to take it all. If that happens, you have a team with smaller resources and, to my knowledge, a clean administration taking down a program with questionable practices and all the resources in the world.

12. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No one has posted here in almost a week and the championship game is tomorrow. Maybe that's mirroring the general apathy everyone else seems to have about this Butler vs UConn matchup. I've heard predictions that this will be one of the worst ratings for the NCAA Championship in decades and lots of empty seats at Reliant.

As for the game itself, I feel like UConn is going to win. Despite a pretty poor PPP last night, I don't think Butler will have an answer for UConn's offense and Walker's going to carry them.

13. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

i guess UConn is the flagship Athletics School of 2011.... Women's team suffering 2 losses and going to the Final Four on the verge of a 3rd straight title, men's team playing for a National championship, football team playing in a BCS Fiesta Bowl.

14. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had no idea UConn was such a young team! 3 of their 5 starters are freshman, 1 is a Sophomore, the last is a junior. Damn.

15. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If UConn wins, does that mean that Charles Barkley will shut up with his nonsense about the merits of the "Big Least"?

Probably not.

16. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Worst shooting game in history. 15% shooting for the game at 7 min to go. Really? What the hell is going on?

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Fuck yeah UConn.

18. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The rims looked really small on both ends. I counted at least 10 shots for Butler that went in and out. Also it was hilarious when a UConn player got pushed and you could hear "What the fuck?"

Clark Kellogg had an amazing phrase but I forget it now, something about a rebound hustle maker or something - it made me crack up.

Edit: I think he said "rebound factory maker." I'm definitely saying I want to be that in my interview tomorrow.

19. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Seriously one of the worst final fours I've ever watched. Where was Butler in the paint? Where were they on the baseline? In the corners? Answer to all of those and more, they simply weren't there last night. It was a pathetic showing and end to their season. You can't win a game ONLY SHOOTING THREES. And when I thought it was going to get better (2nd half) it actually got worse. Terrible. They didn't deserve the win. Hell, I don't really think either team played final four caliber ball. What a shitty end to the season. Now all we have is fucking baseball and the hopes there's not a lock out for a football season.

I'm just gonna go rock in the corner now.