Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MLB 2016

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by toytoy88, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In big moments, a big hit warrants a little bit of pimping, but what Bautista did last October was over the top. It was extremely satisfying watching Odor jack his big-eared head back.

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

That was the sweetest punch I've seen in sports. And I'm including boxing and MMA in the "sports" umbrella here. POW. Like an old 1960s Batman villain.

Bautista is a notorious complainer/loudmouth. I don't know that he's well liked, which is not an excuse but certainly sets the stage. And what a series of events.

1. Texas pitcher, fresh out of jail, drills a 98mph fastball into the star batter's ribs.
    2. Bautista slides into second, with the intent to take out Odor's legs and screw up the throw, which he does. As an aside, I think the new sliding rule is stupid and that Bautista played that play exactly how it should be done.
    3. Bautista thinks he's going to run smack and, "Guys, hold me back!" it.
    4. BOOM. A punch that looks beautiful from any angle. The impressive thing here is that Bautista did not collapse, though he was mostly saved by Beltre coming in and restraining/supporting him.
    5. Everyone gets ejected, things settle down, and the first play back the Blue Jays deliberately hit the Texan batter. Stupid to begin with, but they hit PRINCE FIELDER. Fielder, who is at the end of his career with nothing to prove, who must weigh 300lbs and is only employed to hit grand slams. Good choice, pitcher.

I think the whole thing was entertaining and just an example of good, old-school baseball. Yeah, there will be some suspensions but I don't mind anything about how that game went down.

3. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

No issues with any of this happening. Except of course the Rangers knowing full well they won't have to face the Blue Jays again this season. So....... they wait until the last game and the last at bat for Bautista, to hit him. Thus, there is no chance for reciprocation for the Rangers or for Odor. The Rangers had plenty of chances to hit Bautista already and provide pay back for the 'bat-flip' but instead waited until the last possible moment to get away with it.
    Now I am a Jays fan and love Bautista but also love that he took a right hook to the face. It was mesmerizing. Equally impressive is that Bautista didn't complain or cry about Odor hitting him and understood it was part of what happens when you lay down a dirty slide into second.
    This is great baseball enjoyed by all.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'll give Odur full credit, that was the hardest contact he's made all year.

5. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No chance for reciprocation?
    They HIT FIELDER ON THE FIRST PITCH immediately afterward. They got their retaliation.

6. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I repped you but...
    Odor's line is better than Bautista's, currently. And his career average is higher. So........I don't know what you're saying here? Odor is known for power from a small player. Find pics of him in civilian clothes. Dude is jacked.

7. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Question: Why didn't Dyson hit Bautista when he had the chance in previous games? Why do you bring in an ex-con pitcher to do it? If it's supposed to be revenge shouldn't it be Dyson doing it since he was the one shown up by that 'vicious' bat-flip?

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    My thoughts exactly. It was even up to that point.

Bautista's bat flip +1 Blue Jays
    Bautista getting hit by a fastball even
    Bautista's dirty slide +1 Blue Jays
    Bautista get punched even
    Fielder getting plunked +1 Blue Jays

It ain't over. Post season or next season, Bautista is getting at least one aimed at his ear hole.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Because there is then the chance of proclaiming innocence. Bush was not part of the organization when the bat flip occurred, or even in organized baseball. That leaves 3 options: 1) He was ordered to do it, 2) He did it of his own volition to make brownie points, or 3) Maybe the ball just got away from him.

10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bush went high inside on Donaldson before.
    It's not improbable the pitch got away from him - it was his second MLB outing ever.

Aside from that - you point out Bushs prison record like that's why Bautista was hit.
    Bush has a helluva arm, and a ball got away at a perfect storm time.

Throw in that hitting the tying run and bringing him on would just be bad tactical baseball, and *shrug* there's a solid argument that it wasn't intentional.

But if it was -
    Where does this notion that one gets to choose when one suffers comeuppance come from?

11. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

There is a very good chance Bautista isn't even back with the Jays next year, so if they don't meet in the playoffs does some other random team inherit Bautista's 'debt'?

12. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Wouldn't that be an awesome twist? If this was not some Great Planned Event, but just a rookie pitcher who let one slide and accidentally hit the wrong dude? Imagine the locker room afterwards. "So, guys...I totally didn't mean to do that. My bad."

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Somewhat. After Reggie Jackson's HR in the '71 All Star game against Doc Ellis, Ellis took exception. In '76 when Ellis was with the Yanks and Jackson with the Orioles, Ellis drilled him.

14. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean. Not out of realm of probability.

The idea that
    Plunking Bautista > dirty slide > Rougie jawing Bautista > 10 minute brawl resulting in multiple ejections
    Was all planned is a stretch, I think.

Toronto really WANTS it to be about bat flip, but hanging onto that overlooks the reality that Odor has never been one to shy from brawling.

15. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

It was assumed that Bautista was going to get hit, and if he got hit it was because of the bat flip.
    Everything AFTER that was just circumstance. No need for Bautista to go in with the hard slide and then attempt to stare down Odor, and you right, Odor is not going to back down from Bautista and thus the brawl ensues. So not intentional but happy coincidence for sure.

16. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So based on that - Bautista can't be mad about getting plunked, because baseball.

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is all also why baseball is fucking stupid about some shit. People getting plunked 7 months later for not "playing the right way". And for the record I think hockey line fights at the start of a period to settle a score from a different game are stupid too. In the game, heat of the moment, fair enough. Delayed butthurt is fucking stupid.

18. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Bush didn't hit him on purpose...then...

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Bautisita had taken getting plunked as well as he took the punch, the rest wouldn't have happened. He got plunked in the ribs (ow) for the bat flip, and called it cowardly to wait until that at bat. He didn't even start his slide until he was ON second base (knee surgery > bruised ribs)
    upload_2016-5-16_13-55-19.png
    and Bautista "not crying or complaining" including him making a dig at Odor's size by saying it takes a little bit bigger man to knock him down. Odor make Bautista's knees buckle and got another gloved hand whack on top of his head before getting separated. If he understood that dropping a dirty slide may lead to a confrontation, why didn't he also understand to let it go, and call it even after he got plunked?

20. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

This will be racist and perhaps incendiary, but I've never met a Latino or Latina person in my life handled anger or disrespect very well. In my (limited) experience, they go fucking crazy if you piss them off, to the degree that it doesn't even make sense upon reflection. I don't think Bautista is any different.