Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MLB 2016

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by toytoy88, Feb 11, 2016.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    They're probably afraid of being shot. Most violent city in the US after all.

2. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

My team:

[​IMG]

That is all.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It really happened. Colon, 42 years old, 42 inches wide, hit a dinger. His first.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

For the second Sunday in a row, the ESPN game is Yankees/Red Sox. I wonder if ESPN realizes no one outside of the north east even cares? Last place team vs. first place team! Woooo!

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Fuck's sake. Did y'all notice how the Cubs pitched Harper this 4 game series?

His previous 4 games he was 3 for 17, 0 BB, 10K. Not exactly lighting it up.

The 4 games vs. the Cubs? 1 for 4, 11 BB, 1 HBP, 1 Sac Fly. 12 free bases.

That's some Bonds like numbers there. Unreal.

EDIT: Make that 13 BB for the series now. 7 PA today, 6 BB,1 HBP.

#145 toytoy88, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel you. I didn't even know you were a Braves fan. The Braves are on pace to lose 113 games, which is worse than 1988, which I thought set the bar for futility.

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like how people are freaking out about it. Obviously it wasn't a bad strategy as they 4 game swept them. Avoiding Harper gets them Zimmerman (no power) and Werth (forgot how to hit) in the next 3 batters. Harper hasn't been on fire, but he has great power and can get hot fast, I'm fine with how they pitched.

24-6, unreal. This team is a monster AND fun to watch/follow. Should be a good summer.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The point is to win the game, right? What's the difference between bringing in a lefty to face a lefty and walking Harper? Just another piece of strategy.

Somebody - Larussa, maybe? - had a 3 run lead in the 8th or 9th and intentionally walked Bonds with the bases loaded once, if remember correctly.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

The strategy certainly did work, but it was odd.

Coming into the series, like I said, Harper was 3 for 17 in his last 4 games.

Hitting behind him was Zimmerman, who was 7-16 in his last 4 games with 4 doubles.

Behind Zimmerman was Daniel Murphy, who was 9-17 in his last 4.

Basically their whole strategy for the series was don't let Harper burn them. That's an awful lot of respect for a guy who has had one good year...to take the bat out of his hands in favor of pitching to two guys hitting a combined almost .500 in the previous few games.

Harper is a player on a level I've only seen once before....the 'roided up Bonds. What this kid could accomplish is downright scary.

10. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Zimmerman was 4-30 in the previous 3 series before the Royals series. And he wasn't very good in 2015. Not to mention Revere and Rendon/Espinoza batting 1-2 are around the Mendoza Line, you were often getting Harper with 1 or 2 outs, so you would see Zimmerman and not necessarily Murphy after, depending. Maddon dared Dusty Baker to change his lineup and Dusty remained stubborn like he has done for the last decade. Murphy and Harper should be some combination of 3-4 and Zimmerman should be much farther down. You're batting a guy 4th who has 20 HRs over the last 3 seasons, combined, and a slugging percentage that peaked at .450 at that time, which would barely be top 100 in MLB, and is like .350 this year...all because he was a beast 5-7 years ago.

Thats why you skip the most dangerous young power hitter in baseball, regardless of recent struggles, to attack a has-been.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

12. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone else's team have anything as terrifying as Jim Knox?

13. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

So I haven't been watching much of the Twins because NBA/NHL playoffs and because the Twins are a fucking disaster. Since I haven't been watching many games I've had to look at their stats to see if I could get an idea on why they're so terrible. Aside from being at or near the bottom of the AL in every meaningful batting, pitching, and fielding category, two things stood out. The Twins starting pitchers have a total of 3 wins for the entire starting rotation, and have blown an incredible 7 out of 9 save opportunities. I'm beginning to think maybe I should call them up and ask for a tryout for their pitching staff.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yesterday was the anniversary of the day in 1977 that Ted Turner fired the Braves' manager after they started 8-30 or something. He hired himself as Manager for one game, that day. (Incidentally, Phil Neikro threw a complete game, but the Braves lost 2-1.) I can't remember, but that may have also been the year that Turner had the announcers ride in an ostrich race. Anyway, this anniversary note had a buddy and I discussing how horrible the Braves are. I think this will likely be their first year in Turner Field that they won't draw 2 million fans. So, we were pitching each other ideas on how they could get people to the park - win: hahahahahahaha
    - fire Fredi Gonzalez: let Chipper Jones interim manage the rest of the season
    - open tryouts: a contest or something, sign the winner to a one day contract

I think the Union would probably kill that idea or something, but seriously, how much worse would the Braves (or Twins) be if you and I were playing in the majors? Actually, they should have some of the actors that play in the celebrity all-star softball game compete, with the winner get a contract for a day. That might actually bring some fans out.

Ugh.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Braves already have last year's #1 pick. The Twins can have this year's.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Bring back that racist California Raisin-looking native mascot back. In the Age Of Putrage it will get the team PLENTY of attention.

image.jpeg

18. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd be happy to be the Braves 5th starter. I've got three pitches - slow, slower and slowest. Seriously, it would be an eephus pitch like the big leagues have never seen.

Disclaimer: The clip title is unrelated, and in no way reflects reality.

#158 Misanthropic, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That might qualify you as #4 starter. I have as many wins as three of the Braves starters, including their opening day "ace."

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse