Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfrosted, the Pop Tart movie is just right for Netflix. It didn't need to be a theatrical release, tons of comedians and actor cameos, silly and clever comedy typical of Seinfeld, mish-mash of historical accuracy and era-specific references right there with just made up stuff. Good fun.

2. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eh, it was fine. Great cameos and some laugh out loud moments, but too many times when the writing was lazy or obvious. About 20 minutes into the movie I predicted it would end with a blooper reel.

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m currently watching a couple of good shows on Apple +

For All Mankind- I’d never heard of this until I stumbled across it while looking for something else, but it is on its fourth season and it’s a really good show. It’s an alternate history of the space race that is way more interesting than what actually happened (of course). It stars Joel Kinnaman and Shantel VanSanten (Feona from Shameless), among others. It starts out a bit slow, but picks up speed around episode 3-4. I’m on season 2. So far it’s not heavy sci-fi, but if you’re into all things space related and like alternate history themes, this show is for you.

Sugar- Also on Apple +. Starring Colin Farrell (dude is a great actor- I judge them by the variety of roles they’ve played, and his have been all over the map and he pulls them all off extremely well), it’s sort of a detective noir theme that really holds my interest. There’s a twist late in the series that you might be able to see coming, and I’m not sure yet how I feel about it, but overall it’s absolutely worth watching.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I looked up what the twist was - is it worth continuing with it? I watched the first four episodes but kinda stopped when I realized what it was about.

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We just finished the “twist “ episode- up until now it has been worth watching. The whodunnit aspect of the show is still intriguing in my opinion. I’ll report back when we’ve watched the subsequent episodes.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Scavenger's Reign, from HBO now on Netflix.

Incredible sci-fi. Animated, with voice actors that I'm largely unfamiliar with. The premise is a space freighter maroons a few people on a planet teeming with unbelievable life forms. It's stunning, absolutely amazing and haunting. I'd describe it as Alien meets Avatar, Netflix calls it Studio Ghibli in space. Lot of horror, ton of anime influence, but gorgeous and...beyond unique. I can't think of anything else truly like it.

12 episodes.

7. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't have Apple TV+ but I may subscribe to watch this upcoming series.

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mentioned this before, but my cousin is one of the creators. We knew he’d go places with his art when he was young, and then when he got into animation, it was a lock.

I won’t give spoilers, but that one really trippy segment in Episode 12 is straight from his mind.