Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, May 25, 2014.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Don't forget Clare murdered Van Helsing in front of Victor while taunting him. I think he's a whiney psychotic with little regard for mortal life.

I didn't like that episode. Ethan's denouncing of Venessa at the end was dumb and hypocritical. I'm wondering if Brona/Lily will go on a killing spree, that shit would be tight.

2. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh man, I forgot about Van Helsing. Okay, so I guess being undead causes murderousness. That should make her future encounters with Clare more interesting. She was acting like such a delicate vulnerable flower, but now she's stone cold in every sense of the phrase.

I agree about Vanessa's dressing down. I understood his disappointment, but it went on and on and he was ruining my Vanessa/Ethan ship.

3. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best scene of this entire series: John Clare rendered fucking speechless. Just goddamn mute while someone else spouts poetry and threats at him for a change. It was hilarious.

I loved that her Brona brogue started coming out when she was describing her marriage (she had talked about it with Ethan last season). I wonder if she remembers her former life or just retains the emotions from it.

A couple weeks ago someone had speculated Angelique's fate on the PD FB page - I guess in the Dorian Gray book there was a woman that saw the portrait and he killed her? So because of that I saw it coming, I guess. I should probably read that book.

I loved Sembene's reaction when Malcom started getting all possessed. One of the things I really love about this show is people's love for each other as a weapon against evil. It is a theme that is both treacly and beautiful.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That was one of the best episodes. Billie absolutely lit that shit up like it ain't no thang. Her putting that whiney bastard in his place was orgasmic.

Nice they finally brought Dalton back. He had some magnificent moments that episode.

Here's a far-fetched question: is Dorian the fallen angel? I've read Wilde's story but they put a spin on every horror tale in this. He's immortal, and has his true soul chained in the portrait. He's infatuated with Vanessa, and we also know now he's murderous sociopath now.

Sembene is so awesome. His being somewhat enigmatic adds to his good vibes, but he devours the scenery while rarely saying a word.

Loved that cliffhanger.

5. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I suppose I could always hope that Sembene's body somehow comes back to life when it hits African shores.

I'm a little bit startled to realize that at the close of this season I actually like John Clare. As happy as I was that Lily gave him a verbal smackdown, it is clear that she is batshit crazy and I give him a lot of credit that he apparently does not want anything to do with her plaaaaans. I also enjoyed his dispatch of that nasty couple that caged him, the perfect touch in leaving the blind girl alive to deal with the aftermath. I was hoping that he would find Victor mid-suicide and rescue him, but oh well. I'm guessing Lyle is going be the one to pull Victor out of death and despair.

I am looking forward to seeing next season what fuckery will go on in the States, and what Ethan's father must be like that he tried so hard to escape him.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Sembene's killing was uncalled for and really just pissed me off. I'm hoping Ethan "infected" him so he can come back. We never knew anything about him.

Lyle is great. Such a fun and peculiar character, I never thought he'd make it past this season.

In the original story by Mary Shelley the Creation went to the North Pole and Victor died hunting him there. I'm guessing Clare won't be back next season because the actor plays M's right hand man in the Daniel Craig 007 films. And originally The Wolf Man's father was a rich and powerful werewolf, but who knows what else he is in this. Ethan isn't making it home. The next full moon everyone on that boat is dead.

Africa and Egypt is where the evil spawned as said in season one. This should make an interesting trip for Malcolm.

7. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Enjoying the new season so far. On a purely fangirly note from this week's episode:

I am glad Mr. Sweet is Dracula. It seemed like they were about to build a romance with him and Vanessa, and that is unacceptable because I want her with Ethan. I ship that OTP 4 lyf

Rewatching last season to refresh my memory, I found myself having a greater appreciation for Clare. I look forward to seeing his adventures this season.

Another person I've revised my opinion on is Rusk, the Scotland Yard detective. I was so annoyed with him in season 2, just wanting him to leave my Ethan alone. But rewatching the season knowing how it ended, I had greater respect for his role. In this week's episode, when he made his position clear to the US Marshall, I liked him even more. Yes he's still going after my Ethan, but I dunno I can somehow forgive him that because I appreciate his drive and commitment.

My favorite scene from this week's episode was the discussion between Sir Malcolm and Kaetenay, where they contemplated the similarities in their relationships with Vanessa and Ethan. Stuff like that is precisely the reason why I love this show - the monsters are just a backdrop to the beautifully complex relationships.

I like Dr. Jekyll. My woman crush on Eva Green is still strong. Interested to see what will play out with Dr. Seward. I really hope Renfield will be campy. I love a campy Renfield.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I am loving this season so far.

I still want To know what Hecate wants with Ethan, and I why he relented on killing her after they killed everyone who in the trading post.

Frankenstein and Jeckyll were gay for each other in college. That veil is an thin as a microsheer condom.

I guessed right that Sweet was Dracula, I'm just glad that he WILL be a humanoid (and a real character) not like the weird monster we thought was Drucula is season 1.

Clare actually has an interesting plot arc this season. Hopefully he won't be too whiney and annoying.

9. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was part of the prophesies last season and just like how Madame whatshername wanted to use Vanessa's destiny to achieve power, Hecate wants to use Ethan's destiny for power. I think he didn't kill her because she confused him with her otherworldlyness, or it could be that she used some of her witchy power to make him back off.

10. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Not that I don't enjoy all of the subplots (except the whiny Frankenstein beast), but the show could straight-up flip to only Ethan and I'd be totally down. Josh Hartnett as a lycanthrop in the Old West being pursued by multiple baddies while trying to reconcile his nature? Hell. Yes.

11. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Weirdest threesome EVER.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I love what sickos Dorian and Lilly/Brona are. It's like they keep trying to up the ante. After you stab a baby to death on camera there's only so much ceiling you can punch through, this show's willingness to cross the line is admirable if anything.

Interesting final shot. Clare's story seems to be moving quick-- note his eyes weren't red anymore after watching his family, they looked brown like a human's. Not sure if that meant anything.

13. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This was pretty much me at the end of the episode.

[​IMG]

14. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

anyway, I'm kind of annoyed by this development because of course it's going to turn out that she killed him and is the set up for Much Angst between them, which makes me sad because I like their odd little friendship - especially since I'm starting to like Clare and I want him to have at least one goddamn friend.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Really? Because I have a different prediction-- Dracula killed Clare. Remember, nobody officially died by Vanessa's hand until she willed those dogs into killing that guy from last season. I think Dracula who was"in the white room with her" murders an inturrupting Clare, perhaps putting a Dracula vs. Frankenstein fight in the future of this season.

16. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope that is the case. The thing about Vanessa not killing anyone - wasn't that established because she told Ethan she never killed anyone when he asked her? It could be that she killed Clare and has no memory of it. She didn't recognize him when she met him at that homeless shelter. But your theory gives me hope. And thinking on it further, with the preview from next week where she jumps on his back, it looks like they WANT us to think that she is the one who kills him, and we all know that is usually code for "this is not at all what happens, we're just yanking your chain."

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Precisely. That's a classic foreshadowing distraction.

Looks like we'll get the "flashback episode". They're hard to watch, Ms. Ives suffers extra hard in these episodes. I wonder if this role makes Eva Green miserable. She's always been kind of "dark" even for a French actress, and I know she's a proud introvert in real life but Venessa goes through EXCRUTIATING torment on this show, almost non-stop.

I'm also confused: in season 1, when Mina and others refer to the "Master", was it Dracula or Lucifer's unnamed brother? Or IS Dracula the brother? I-am-a-confused.

#57 Crown Royal, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That was the best episode of the series so far. Using only three actors and one blank room, they answered th questions, showed Clare in his real life (I LOVED his orderly character) and was a complete acting showcase for Green. Once again she is put through the absolute ringer and comes out stronger in the end.

So Dracula IS indeed the "Master", and brother of Lucifer. That ties up a LOT of plot holes since the pilot episode. It also gives the show a villain that CAN be defeated and killed, where as the Devil cannot be. Back to Clare: his orderly is the most likeable, loving and decent character this show will ever have. I could watch a whole spin-off and him and Venessa locked in a cell.

This season gets better by the minute.

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Did anyone pick up on the irony that Frankenstein is trying desperately to get Lily/Brona to have some love and compassion, yet his first creation - Clare - has all of that and he categorically rejected him?

I have to watch this episode again. I always zone out on the Eva Green only episodes, because I'm in this show for Josh Hartnett as a cowboy/werewolf.

20. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I was watching the episode, I glanced at the clock and saw there was 8 minutes left and it completely startled me. I'd been staring transfixed for most of an hour and never even noticed the fact that they didn't cut to any of the other subplots.