Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pre-Thanksgiving WDT...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cummon now. Lay off the Canadians.

Their money is soooo utey-cutey.

2. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Oh? How interesting. (Smile) Well, we think it's a fun idea to switch things up every now and then. This [insert subject of her complaint] seems like a really neat way of [outcome of subject], so we thought we'd test it out. Hope you enjoy it!" (Smile) (Change topic)

"Oh? Well, you're right, that is one way I've seen [subject] approached. But I/we like [suggested change] because of [reason]. (Super sincere smile) Hope you'll like it, too!" (Change topic)

I have managed to oust every "tradition" or established way of doing things that I disagreed with using the above phrases and/or blatant lying. Unmarried women sit at the children's table? Nope, not happening. Wine-free holiday meals? Again, not gonna fly. Horribly disgusting onion stuffing that only one person enjoys? Ooh, sorry, there isn't enough room on the table anymore now that we've added new side dishes.

If you smile and seem super enthusiastic about your proposed changes (and maybe get wife or kids on board to back you), you can overpower her.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or, if you sneak up behind her with the right amount of chloroform.

4. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Xanax is easier to come by. Just grind a few up, add to their cocktail of choice, and then sit back and enjoy the peace, quiet and video recording of unconscious and drooling in-laws to be used as leverage at a later date. Or posting it on YouTube with credits going to other in-laws you despise. That's what I call making good use of the Internet.

5. ryan mc

ryan mc
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Canadians: Please tell me your opinions of Wok Box. Both the company and food/product. They are opening in US markets and I was contacted for a store manager position, but know jack shit about the company. Thanks.

6. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll just leave this here for you guys. Enjoy.

#266 Now Slappy, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  7. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Since it's Thanksgiving:

Highly NWS

#267 CharlesJohnson, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't you live in the South somewhere? Isn't that what "bless your heart" is for? Or do dudes not say that?

9. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last day of work!!!! Happy dance!!!! Guess who is going to be drinking.... no drunk..... on a Tuesday! Judge me all you want fuckers , I won't call you lame.

But seriously everything that I hated about that job culminated I one afternoon that I go to walk away from. Employee who calls out sick, employee who calls out with dying family member, employees bitching because they are the only ones in the entire office who work and are tired of being the only ones expected to do everything, people passing the buck, office manager doing nothing about any of the above.

(And not insensitive about dying family members, this girl has burned through more uncles, mothers, fathers, grandparents, sisters, brothers than the Duggars

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Your ex-office should ask for proof of funeral. I sort of see a replay of that Seinfeld episode in my head happening. It would be glorious.

11. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually had this happen at a job. I turned in my notice, during my grandfather actually did die and I had to go his funeral. They asked for a obituary. I get it, the timing was suspect. My boss felt horrible when I actually showed it to her on the Ohio funeral homes website. But I didn't hold a grudge, because, you know, I wasn't lying about it

12. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To me, that is the most insulting thing a job can do. It should be flat out illegal. We're not in highschool. Fuck you. Same at college. I got furious when a professor asked for my uncle's obituary. None of your fucking business. If I go to the hospital do you want to see the bill and a doctor's note to make sure I was there for pneumonia and not a rectal rodent removal? It is the further erosion of privacy.

13. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had to take a professor my hospital bracelet when I came down with pneumonia and missed the week of school before finals.

Computer Science 101 is some serious business.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

[​IMG]

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I just don't fucking get why it is such a fucking tragedy to some places if you (deep breaths everyone) miss an entire day of work *gasp!*.

What makes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many bosses turn into these snarky, Napoleon complex-riddled lizards who not two shits for anybody but themselves? You give 90% of people an inch of authority and they will ride everybody's ass underneath them like fucking Zorro. Show me an obituary or you're written up. Half hour lunches only, that way they have no choice but to buy our crappy on-site food. Let's make the coffee breaks 10 minutes instead of five what, an extra 10 minutes on your feet is gonna kill you ya fucking pussy? We have rich people to make richer here, and you're whining about "wprker's respect"? Like it existed here in the first place. That's a job interview lie sucker, a classic one at that.

Like you mentioned, fucking high school. They think the employee is playing hooky to go to the fishing at the ol' swimmin' hole. It's like they think people ENJOY missing out on a day's pay.

People like that should be locked in a freight container with a bullet ant colony.

16. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's the thing. There are some people who call in often, using these excuses, to get out of work. It's a problem when someone else has to cover for you. When it happens often, it's a big problem. So now it is something that requires proof. I hate having to ask for paperwork validating employee excuses, but it has curtailed excessive absences by at least 50% in my store.

I have yet to ask for an obituary, though. Only a completely worthless person would lie about family dying, right? Wait, there are LOTS of worthless bastards out there...

17. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow until 8:30. Oh my! So much freedom! I don't know what to do with myself. I may stay up til midnight.

I once rescheduled a flight due to a death in the family, and American Airlines requested proof in order to waive the fee. I thought that was kinda shitty.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck all that noise. I had a professor that asked me for proof of my grandmother's death and I replied, "What, you want her finger or something?" He looked at me like I had just slapped him. I showed him a picture some asshole took of me comforting my crying grandfather and gave him a program to the funeral.

All of this shit is a symptom of being a human resource vs. an employee. Employee: "Oh, so sorry to hear. Please take care of your family, we'll handle things until you get back." Human resource (ie, something they can't train a monkey or program a Xerox machine to do yet): "I'll need copies of the death certificate, obituary and autopsy report, and you will still use a vacation day."

Those are the kinds of jobs you quit with an ax.

Also, that's what good management does: cuts through the bullshit and determines prudent use and flagrant abuse. Some twat loses a family member every time there's a special on Beer-ritas, cut her loose and hire someone with more dead relatives. Don't let this cunt provide a convenient excuse to allow management to finger-bang the rest of you.

19. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, this is the problem, and I don't know what the best answer is to fix it. At both my current job, and the job where I was required to submit the obit, there was a huge problem with absenteeism. This was actually one of the reasons why I wanted to leave because I couldn't understand why the management team didn't deal with it since it leaves the remaining employees who aren't as "sick" to pick up the slack, which is infuriating. Now if people are genuinely ill, have a legit family tragedy, whatever... and need off, that is just fine. But if the management is allowing people to get away with endless excuses (to the extent that a normal week is these select employees calling out on average once per week), that is another thing. On the flip side you have somebody that averages about 2-3 sick days per year (like me). How do you differentiate? I don't know, maybe X number of days no questions asked, no proof required, but if you get over 4 times X, maybe you need to start to provide some documentation.

Anyway, I hope my next job is better.

And cheers!

20. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell yeah cheers! It's been a good month, but holy shit work tomorrow will be agonizing.

Tomorrow night is my 5-year high school reunion. Who knows how that'll go...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.