Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pre-Thanksgiving WDT...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm about to see Social Distortion! Again!

2. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our DMV situation is so bad that the state is spending ridiculous money building a DMV SUPER CENTER in North Dallas. I went to change my name after my divorce - 4 hours of my day gone.
    Then, I went to another location after I remarried, changed my name again, 1.5 hours.
    I'm not sure about whether they have to "take you" or not here, but FML that shit was AWFUL.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Shit, I had issues with my Alabama license being expired, so I went to the DMV here. They were going to require that I redo the whole thing, complete with a driving test. I could either A) schedule an appointment for a driver's test (5 month backup with appointments) or B) show up at 4-5am to get in line and hope that they take you.

Fuck. That.

I instead renewed by mail with no problem, even with my name being changed. I just photocopied all my documents and sent it that way. The signature on my license is still my old name and doesn't match the typed name on the license, but it's valid so I don't care.

4. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Oh, yeah. BIG thing. People get confused/out of their heads for a bit. There was an old lady who wrapped her IV lines around her neck and yelled, "RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! SHE'S TRYING TO KILL ME!" True story.

One lady said she wanted to get a knife and cut me up "just a little bit". Maybe that's like just being a little pregnant.

Another lady used to respond to every question with, "Oh, honey-child. I've already been there. I've done that." To every. single. thing. you asked.

I unabashedly hit on an ortho surgery fellow when I was coming out. Hospital gown, no makeup, no-slip socks didn't slow this bitch down from making it known I wanted to be wined and dined! In my defense, he was hot so I'm sure that happened pretty frequently with patients.

5. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Coming out of her hip surgery, my grandma was transported back in time to her 1930's childhood and couldn't get over the fact that she had a "negro nurse."

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here was my favorite that I heard....

After ripping off the oxygen mask like she had something so important to say...

"why are there never any pickles in here?"

7. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus, I've heard the DMV horror stories, but I guess I'm lucky we don't have those issues.

We bought a new car a while ago and had to register it and get the plates. We went to the BMV (Here it is the Bureau of Motor Vehicles) and were in and out in 15 minutes. The only minor hold up was that I forgot the insurance cards, but otherwise there was no line and no wait. More often than not I hate this state, but sometimes it is really nice. I can do virtually everything vehicle related online, so I almost never have to go in there.

So today I finally bit the bullet and decided to go for a promotion at my video store job. In other words, I officially gave up hope on a teaching job, and I figured why not go full time (plus raise!) at a job where I spend the vast majority of my time watching movies.

So screw it. I'm turning 30, working full time at a video store, and giving up on my dream of actually being a teacher. Time to get drunk.

8. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

9. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why can't you be a teacher? Is it difficult to find a job? Or difficult to coordinate your wife's schedule, a new baby, and teaching/homework grading/lesson planning, etc?

Man if it is the first, how shitty is the world we live in that people who have studied education with the thought of molding the little minds of the future can't find employment. I guess nursing is super competitive too....sad.

10. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Should be the latter. Rural schools always need qualified people.

Sincerely,

Teacher who is extremely unqualified yet was hired

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is most definitely the former.

I live in Indiana, the state where education is considered one of those things they have zero desire to pay for. Literally just over the border in Illinois, teachers make twice the salary they do in Indiana. Long story short: every school district in this county and the next two are cutting jobs like it is going out of style. Over the course of the last year, about 40 teachers were cut from the schools within driving distance of where I live. When I applied for the two job openings there were for Social Studies teachers over the summer, I was one of 34 applicants. Of the 12 people who graduated with me in social studies education, exactly zero of them currently have teaching jobs, and there will be more of them graduating in December, then more in May.

The only place I might get a teaching job is in Gary, Indiana. The problem is that those schools are exceptionally low-achieving, and the turnover is high. Then, once a teacher leaves there, they can't find a job elsewhere, because clearly the teachers who teach in Gary just suck and THAT is why the test scores are so low. There can't possibly be ANY other explanation for the low test scores in that particular city, no siree. It is those lazy good-for-nothing teachers. In other words, if you do teach up there, you'll be unable to get a job anyplace else ever.

Our only other options would be relocating to Indianapolis to teach down there, but that is off the table. In response to a rep (that I PMed, but I'll post here anyway), moving is out. We live close to babysitting and my wife has her job up here that she has no desire to leave.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Teachers deserve to be paid more. With good pay comes competence and job enjoyment, and maybe that can fend off the hilarious, creepy horror that is home schooling.

It is cool to smoke the weed you grew in your own backyard. Suck on that, Johnny Law.

13. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, my bad. I was tying location into the wife/family needs bit. The jobs are out there. You would just have to move somewhere shitty like I did. I advocate not doing that. It's not worth it.

Also, I hope you are coming up with a different plan than video store owner for the long term. As the downside to that is fairly obvious.

14. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Arm candy for his wife is a legit plan. I would be up for being a kept man if I was pretty enough for that shit.

On an unrelated note. Someone needs to start a hang out so wildered can talk me into drinking again.

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, yeah. It certainly isn't a "career," as that would imply working in a field that won't cease to exist within the next 10 years. It'd be nice to find a teaching job eventually, but I have little hope. I guess it'll just be a "We'll cross that bridge when we get there" kind of thing. Luckily, my wife makes enough money that we don't have to worry too much.

The other main thing is that if I go full time, my wife can go to 30 hours a week. Yes, that means that even at a full time, 40 hour a week job, I'll be making exactly 1/4th of her salary.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I need to put some clothes on but if we've got some willing victims, I can start 'er up.

17. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Will not swing at the low hanging pervy fruit. Will not swing at the low hanging pervy fruit. Will not...

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Came home early today. I got work in the morning plus I need to conserve money for going out tomorrow and Wednesday. Yay me.

My boss threatened to fight me today. Long story short, we were having a north vs south debate, and I was winning by a lot. Then, the pink floyd, "We don't need no education." song came on the radio, leading to many easy jokes from me and him imploding. He apologized, but I still found the situation very amusing.

Maybe a bit more, but why? They get about 8x the vacation time most people do. If they're strapped for cash they can work all year around like the rest of us. I really don't think teaching is that hard of a job after the first few years. A good teacher helps, but you get out of school what you put into it. It's not totally on them to make kids give a shit.

I honestly don't want to waste our best and brightest on teaching 10th grade math, but that's just me. Also, the last thing my country needs is more reasons to spend money.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Sorry, it's the truth though. I also need to take the dog outside before I don't feel like it anymore.

20. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just gonna slide this into the thread slow and easy.......

Attached Files:

• Jack.jpg
      Jack.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
    #40 Nitwit, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.