Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pre-Thanksgiving WDT...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That sounds very similar to what I've gone through before.

Question: What's a "Tire mount?"

2. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's advisable to wear a mask while doing it, in case there are cameras.

What? Just doing a public service here.

I think he's talking about lug nuts. Which would be hilarious, as I definitely don't check my lug nuts before driving off.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The nuts that hold the tire on. Three of them pulled out of the parking spaces and the tires simply fell off their cars. It was fucking hilarious.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The club life/industry is one that is so alternatively interesting and obnoxious. I know most people here hate clubs because of a few bad experiences or stereotypes, but I like them, if only for the spectacle of it. Some of the best clubs I've been to have some of the most impressive aesthetics and vibe of any commercial space I've ever been in. I don't have any problem with thumping bass and loud music and appreciate the eye candy. However, I'm fully onboard with the hatred of club skanks with horrible attitudes and intentions as well as most of the slimy fucking dudes involved, club promoters included. I've known some really cool/genuine club managers/hosts, and I've known some that were elevated former promoters and genuine scumbags.

I dated a girl for a few months who was, for lack of a better term, a club rat. She and most of her friends were gorgeous and club hopped on the weekends, knew the promoters, door guys, etc... My time with her taught me everything Crown mentioned about most promoters. Despite having a rolodex of girls, they are the most insecure greedy fucks ever. I'd enter a club with her and from that moment on, I'd usually have to deal with attempted separation and hassling or straight up bait and switches to get me away from tables. It was ridiculous. Luckily most were 5'6 and pathetic or I would have been intimidated when they got angry as hell when she would pull in managers or bouncers to have my back and stop their shit.

Semi-related, Pasquale Rotella may be a promoter, but he's responsible for Electric Daisy Carnival which is basically a debaucherous wonderland, so he can knock up whatever former Playmates he wants.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Working at a bar/club I think the funniest thing I was witnessed to was the time when someone, the club promotor swore it was someone from the rival clubs in town, broke a few of those stink bombs that smell like wicked farts right in the middle of the rush. Basically just a little glass vial you step on and the whole area clears out. I mean it cut into the tips we got that night but the simple genius of it made me tip my cap. Funny seeing dolled up girls and greasy dudes react to the smell.

The promotor wasn't a total sleaze ball but was a mama's boy rich kid who's parents got him the job and paid for his plush apartment he proceeded to wreck in coke fueled rages.

6. Sully

Sully
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I hate Sunday. May as well call it "Monday Eve".

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Ha! I've seen that, but usually it was just bored idiots who wanted to get a crowd reaction. They didn't use the vials, though. They use the flat ones that you press the button on and they inflate and inflate and *BANG* smell like skunk diarrhea five seconds after exploding (great for sliding under bathroom doors).

On occasion, I would bring one to an outdoor concert and drop one it the ground in between bands. A fifteen-foot radius of emptiness would materialize around me as soon as that rank odour came out.

"Liquid Ass" is the worst, though. The absolutely worst thing I've smelled. It feels like it attacks the pain receptors in your nose.

8. Pussy Galore

Pussy Galore
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Not to rain on the promoter hating, but I just got some bad news and am not sure how to proceed. The mother of one of my dearest friends passed a couple hours ago after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. I'm currently house/babysitting while she and her husband are at her parents' house. What I need to know is how to act for my friend beyond giving my obvious sympathies. I've never seen someone go through this kind of turmoil. What do you say? What do you do?

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my experience, with events of such a magnitude, the best move is to just be available and flexible. Sometimes people want to talk, sometimes people want to be alone, there is no script of what to say, no blueprint of what to do. Everyone is different and reacts differently. Sometimes people go overboard with the empathy/sympathy. Just be there for her and be prepared to give her space if she wants it. Thats your best bet and your obvious concern will show through whatever you do.

10. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1. Be sure not to say, "I know what you're going through." That is one of the most common things people say in those situations, and it happens to be one of the worst things a person can hear.

2. Sounds like you are already doing this, but provide basic support when possible. Take out the trash, do the dishes, cook, etc. Taking off that layer of stress is helpful.

3. Run interference for her when necessary. The well-wishers can be overwhelming at times and she will probably need some breaks.

Other than that, it's different for everyone I think. Even the above might not apply.

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Three simple things: food, flowers and a phone charger. Food in the fridge, flowers at the service and a phone charger in her purse (aspirin and tissue's not a bad idea either). Plant some spare shit that you know she'll need, but forget as she rambles around dealing with this. Do your best to make sure they come home to a clean house, take care of as much basic shit as you can, and if there's no one there, go away. Stop in as you can, and if there are people there, stay. When it's just your friend and her husband, go away again. If you can maintain constant communication with her, give your number to the funeral home guys in case they can't reach her, maybe you can.

If there's family drama, bounce. If her family is like mine, every funeral is an opportunity for combat, and God help the well-intentioned friend stuck in the middle of that pack of wolves. Don't be lunch for the family's latest battle. Good luck.

12. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Call me crazy but I have not met nearly so many attractive hostellers as I have in Morocco. Something about the country that attracts certain people? Everyone looks hot compared to the locals? I've spent too much time in German farm country?

13. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The hashish?

And just when I thought "reality TV" couldn't get any more ridiculous comes "Amish Mafia.". Do they run a black market for mirrors and zippers? Use getaway carriages?

14. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How does everyone but me know that Morocco was famous for its hash? I just thought, "ooh, desert, mountains, I can speak the language, sounds like a good time". These Australians are more on the ball than they seem.

15. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's one of te largest exporters of hash in the world. One of my drug professors told me it was sold openly in the markets, but that westerners had to be careful as to the amount they purchased.

16. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having gone through something similar with my father earlier this year and with one of my best friend's mother last year, I can say that all have given good suggestions so far. My favorite thus far is providing basic support as during grief you really have trouble connecting the dots on certain things.

You would be amazed how much food is sent so I'm on the fence whether this is a good idea or not. I'd suggest paper plates, flatware and plastic cups as it seems (at least in my case) that no one thinks of that.

In my case, I would certainly say that support was the biggest thing that was done for me.

I had to go and pack up my father's house after the funeral in a city about 3 hours away. I called one of my friends to help and he showed up with 3 of our other friends and they did most, if not all of the work, as I was largely moving around without a direction that weekend. I certainly could not have done it without them. They would not let me pay them or even reimburse them for gas/food/etc. As such, they did not pay for a beer in my presence for a long time.

I think in your case, it sounds like you are doing a lot already. My suggestion would be to just be there for your friend in whatever capacity that you think is needed. A shoulder to cry on, a hand to keep her standing, whatever it takes. As suggested, grief affects everyone differently, so in my opinion, letting your friend know that you are there to help is probably the best thing you can do.

17. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is a trick question, obviously you dump her as soon as something even modestly superficially damaging happens to her.

18. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't seen it sold openly but it is stupid easy to get from dealers everywhere. You'll be walking around the market and a guy will walk into your group, say "hashish" and just as soon disappear.

19. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Not to reiterate rei's R&R, but the mayor of Toronto was just kicked out of office for breaking the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act. Happy dance commences NOW.

20. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While driving north on the 400 last year, I saw a sign saying "now leaving Ford country, home of respect for taxpayers" as I crossed the border into York. Couldn't figure out if it was serious or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.