Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I saw it. One of my friends is a super nerd and insists on seeing every comic book movie. It was as terrible as the critics are saying. A courtroom drama musical where the Joker gets raped at the end, or at least implied. Plus,

He's not the real Joker.

I get that it was a meta-criticism on nutbag fans, but it just wasn't fun to watch. Neither was the first one for that matter.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Circling back to this. I think because of the extremely heightened tensions in the United States right now, when people heard they were making a movie called "Civil War," they expected it to be a commentary on those tensions, when it's really not. It's a movie that tries to make us care about the wars we see on television, by transposing those conflicts to our own backyard to try to make us empathize with what it must be like. To show us what these people are living through by presenting what it would be like if it happened to us. To put it succinctly, it's not a movie about Americans, it's a movie for Americans.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah they clearly went out of their way to not make it about blue vs. red states.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anybody seen Brothers yet, on Amazon? Josh Brolin, Peter Dinklage

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry, still think this is bullshit.

They needed to create some kind of connection to the actual country other than blowing up recognizable memorials.

There was no story, so empathy is impossible. If they had swapped the scenery for another English-speaking country, it would have felt like the same movie.

I still think there was a better story that got cut out. Surely they didn't skip filming literally every single indicator or explanation of conflict. But regardless - all that was presented was a cynical mentor trope and a coming of age/loss of innocence story against a distracting backdrop. They just missed. It either needed to focus more directly on the 3-4 characters so that I would give a shit when someone died, or it needed to focus more on the war so I would feel more involved.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, Marissa Tomei, Glenn Close, Brendan Fraser, M Emmet Walsh are also in this.

It won't win any awards, but it's 90 minutes of entertainment. I thought it was funny and different. Amd there's a big monkey.