Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Shaving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rei, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any first timer advice on how to deal with the chin?

2. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nivea Sensative Skin doesn't really smell mannish or feminine. It does have a scent, but it's not what I'd call manly by any stretch. As I said earlier, avoid alcohol because it will dry the fuck out of your skin, but is unfortunatly in most aftershaves.

Merkur make good blades - I'll stand by my earlier reccomendation of Astra Platinums, as they're one of the sharpest (second pretty much only to feather) but unlike Feather they are cheap ($16 for 100 - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fendrihan.com/astra-doubleedge-safety-razor-blades-p-227.html?cPath=116_4_126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fendrihan.com/astra-doubleed ... =116_4_126</a>) and they really last - I'm not sure how long they will for you of course as you're doing your legs and not your face, but I've tried dozens of blades and Astras are the longest lasting by far.

As for chin advice for anyone asking, can't help unfortunatly. I've had a goatee for almost four years.

3. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Short short short strokes. The upside is; on most chins the hair doesn't have a grain, it just grows straight out - so it doesn't matter which direction you're pulling from.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Confidently pull downward strokes from below the bottom lip until to make it to the underside of your chin. You can even curl in your bottom lip to try to flatten out the surface. Once you have gotten a majority of cut, then pull from the side starting at the bottom of your cheek and going to the front of your chin. Do this on both sides. Once you get the side strokes done, then do the first step again but from bottom to top.

Do it slowly, but steady so the razor doesn't slip sideways and open you up.

5. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have pretty thick beard hair. The sound/feel as each hair gets popped off by the razor is just awesome.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yes! I have some vicious man hair. Look out world. I'mma have some sexy lady legs!

7. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Pics or it didn't happen.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, I totally misinterpreted this. I thought Frank was just busting her chops. You know, because she's a girl and wouldn't be shaving her chin.

Wait, is chin slang for vagina?

Anyway, I've been shaving the same way for 25 years, and now you morons have been considering trying something new. Dammit. I hate change.
    I have a question about the mustache area. With the skinny standard twin blade cartridge or disposables, I can jam that sucker up under my nose pretty good to get those hairs right under my nostrils. Is the housing of a DE razor too wide to get up in there good? Seems like I'd have to push my nose up into a pig nose to be able to get at it. Anybody have trouble getting good coverage everywhere?

As far as after-shave - I use "Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion for Men." Seems to work well, but then I'm old, and prefer the anti-aging lotion.

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

the upper lip is a bit harder to navigate but its not too bad.

I'd reccomend never doing an upward stroke though. Especially if you use a straight razor.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That spot just below my nostrils is also challenging. What I try to do is place the safety bar at the very bottom of each nostril and kind of do a curling motion with the razor and let the smooth top metal piece be a guide for how to direct it.

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any advice on how to clean an old DE safety razor?

I have my grandfather's razor. I never met him, but from the looks of it, and from what my dad knows, it was his when he was in the Pacific during WWII. The case is rusty, but the razor is only a little bit tarnished.

12. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just pull my lip over my front teeth, which should push the philtrum flush(ish) to the skin around it and decrease how acute the angle is between the bottom of your nose and the top of the philtrum.

If it's only a little bit tarnished, some Bon Ami/Barkeepers Friend should do the trick. If that doesn't work, perhaps a very fine copper wool?

13. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rubbing alcohol and a cloth will honestly probably deal with almost everything.

14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had some jewelry/metal/glasses cleaner that an ex's mother bought me, and since I had no rubbing alcohol I just used that. It cleaned off a little of the tarnish and some soap residue (not from the 40's...my dad had been using it before he passed it down to me). It's dull in color, but there's no rust, it's just old metal. Not sure if I want to use it or just get my own razor. I like getting new things for myself.

I saw the "PAT. PEND. MADE IN USA" stamp on the bottom of the razor housing, and the Gilette logo. It's this exact model, except the case is missing the "Gilette" cloth lining.

15. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Nice razor. I sometimes use a little jeweler's rouge and a felt wheel on my Dremel to clean up vintage.

If you are going vintage, it is hard to beat an old Gillette Fat Boy or Red Tip. I've got both, got 'em for less than 30 bucks each, and use them both often.

<a class="postlink" href="http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/19/how-to-buy-and-restore-vintage-shaving-gear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/19/ho ... ving-gear/</a>

Attached Files:

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Note to Safety razor users. Got to pay attention to the screw on part that releases the blade. I think I had been letting it loosen up a bit and resulted in a loose blade and subsequent razor burn.

This shaving soap I got for 1.50 is fucking dope.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, shit. Now I want a razor plated in Rhodium.

On those adjustable models - what are you adjusting when you turn that handle part? Does it change the amount of blade sticking out, or the angle or what?

18. Muley05

Muley05
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Ok, I am convinced to give the DE razor a try. I don't really want to spend a fortune since I am unsure if I will really like it. What is a recommendation for a good beginner razor and blades? Something from Amazon would be ideal as I have Amazon Prime.

Something in the $20-$30 range would be perfect. I shave my head and have a goatee. I will probably just stick to shaving my face at first while getting used to it.

Do I really need special creams and soaps, or would normal Gillete, Barbasol, Nivea, etc you buy at Target work?

Merkur 180 long handle? <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180- ... roduct_top</a>

19. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a decent razor, although 30 bucks seems a bit much for a 3-piece razor. You can buy a decent 3-piece on Ebay for half that (Used, but safety razors are pretty much impossible to damage anyway, and they clean up very well). If you're looking to buy new, then that's a perfectly good razor.

You don't need special creams or soaps; they're just something extra to make shaving even more enjoyable. Just like you can use the "nice" creams and soaps with your Mach 3, you can use standard shaving goo with your DE.

20. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How adjustable razors work.

#140 Stealth, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015