Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sober Thread: Boston Marathon Tragedy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Apr 16, 2013.

1. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

#141 trojanstf, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Here's a picture of that ricin dude:

[​IMG]

Looks like Pauly D in 20 years after he's given up on the spray tan shit.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Based on their track record so far?

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Sure.

BTW, love it how the North Korea stuff just completely disappeared from any news whatsoever. I can imagine kim fat un over there just angrily pounding his fists on his little midget desk "gawd dawmit tewowists! I'm dah mean won! ME!!!"

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It's like a perfect storm of assholes when one tragedy steals the thunder of another. Fixing the Boston incident is a priority, let us not forget all those people in SK and the clueless masses in NK who could start tearing each other apart at any moment.

I have to imagine there are troops in SK saying "hey! Assholes! Still here!" Of course, they want these pricks in Boston caught as much as we do, but it sucks having to decide what festering mound of shit you should pay more attention to.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

7. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Trust me, we aren't. In fact I encourage everyone to keep on ignoring North Korea. It's highly unlikely that they do anything at this point aside from make more threats. The entire flare up of North Korean threats was mostly due to the media blowing things way out of proportion because they had nothing else to talk about.

0. Those are websites/groups filled with a bunch of self-righteous, know it alls, Reddit being the worst. Both reddit and 4chan popularized pictures of people who they thought to be suspect who turned out not to be who LE, people with actual investigative experience are saying are suspects. Those children need to leave real problems to the adults.

8. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Don't open this picture unless you want to fly into a murderous rage:

[​IMG]

That's the 8-year-old who was killed, and in the green next to him is his sister who lost her leg (not sure if that's their mom on the other side)

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yup, just posted that.

Dude was scoping out his victims apparently. And yes, the lady in blue is their mother.

Though cross your fingers sounds more likely than not that the dude just got caught tonight after killing a cop at MIT.

10. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It'll be a few hours before the dust clears and authorities release definite info, but this guy is on the scene in Cambridge
    <a class="postlink" href="https://mobile.twitter.com/sethmnookin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://mobile.twitter.com/sethmnookin</a>

Also
    <a class="postlink" href="https://mobile.twitter.com/GarrettQuinn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://mobile.twitter.com/GarrettQuinn</a>

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Second person now in custody in MIT shootings. Sounds like same descriptions as second boston bomber.

12. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't mean to be too light given the seriousness of the situation, but I'd love to spread on Twitter: "Boston PD reporting suspect in custody accidentally fell down several flights of stairs, but has refused medical treatment.#whoops #wickedbadfall"

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Turns out the bomber is a member of an unfairly stigmatized group after all....not Muslims, but Eagles fans (last picture of him from before the day of the marathon is in an Eagles beanie).

Seriously--there's a terrorist shootout going on about two miles from where I used to live in Boston, one of the suspects is from the next town over from where I grew up outside Philly, and I'm in Afghanistan with jack shit to do today except watch coverage online. How bizarre is that??

14. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I don't know why I'm trying to apply logic and reason to two maniacs, but you would think guys who are trying to get away with a terrorist attack would take a bit more care in slipping out of the city undetected rather than, you know, carjacking a Mercedes, killing an officer, scattering bombs, and having a shoot out with the police. (At least it seems like they were trying to get away and they just panicked and it went awry.)

This whole thing is surreal. I went to school and lived a few blocks from Copley Square for two years, lived a neighborhood over from Watertown, my family lives another neighborhood over from Watertown, and two of my best friends lived in Central Square. It's so fucking weird to see this all playing out in places that I considered my home and backyard and always felt very safe in.

I hope they get the second guy out alive. I want to know why, and I think if that goes unanswered the speculation will spiral out of control.

15. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My guess is they thought they were trying to lay low thinking they wouldn't be ID'd as the bombers, then decided to try to make a run for it and/or go out with a bang once they realized the cops were on to them.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

This is the way this should end, getting gunned down by the Boston PD. No trial, no speculation or debate, just fucking dead. Good.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So, I've tried to stay away from the TV about this and basically just listen to you guys now. Are you telling me these guys never even left the city?!?!?

This is getting as weird as it is enraging. Any news on the second dude or was it just one that was caught? If I watch CNN, they're going to say something along the lines of

"We can't speculate further, but we have heard truthfully confirmed rumours that the second shooter may or may not have escaped on a shimmering, reactionless drive-powered UFO. We'll be right back for the next two hours to repeat the exact same things with different reporters."

18. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So far, they took one guy into custody, haven't revealed his status so it's unknown if he was shot or not. Currently they've cut off all traffic in or out, businesses are closed, people are told to stay indoors, they're considering busing people out (?) and they're basically doing a citywide door-to-door search. They know what he looks like, so he's pretty much fucked. It's effectively unofficial martial law if this is at all accurate.

Not your usual view out the window.
    [​IMG]

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Excluding the news networks. This has been handled beautifully by all.

Especially the American people. It thrills me that in the first real test of on-soil terrorism after 9/11 they kept their cool, did not lose their shit, did not suspend the constitution and all stayed on the same supportive side the entire time. Cool heads are prevailing.

It's wonderful and also a relief to see that as bad as terrorism is, it does not control you anymore. And choosing to champion peace instead of war makes you stronger than ever.