Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You calling anybody narcissistic breaks my irony meter, but I agree with you 100%.

I'm happy that we'll get to see football again, but I'm angry that Seattle is going to bent over a rape stand this season, at the least. I really want Hasselbeck to go to Tennesee, just so I can root for 3-13 and Andrew Luck. The holes on this team are many. I think the only thing that I can look forward to is a young, nasty offensive line, BEAST MODE, and a quarterback that looks remarkably like Jesus. Seattle's defense is going to get shredded. The cornerstones of the defense are a second year safety and a semi-retarded weakside linebacker. Aaron Curry is like Michael Clarke Duncan from The Green Mile, but dumber, if that were possible.

Still, the season is decided on the field and not by armchair internet GMs who don't know shit about football.

Idiotic playoff predictions:

NFC:
    West: St. Louis
    North: Green Bay
    East: Philly
    South: Tampa
    Wildcard: Detroit
    Wildcard: Atlanta

AFC:
    West: Kansas City
    North: Baltimore
    South: Indianapolis
    East: New England
    Wildcard: New York
    Wildcard: Pittsburgh

NFC Championship:
    Philly over Green Bay

AFC Championship:
    Baltimore over New England

Super Bowl:
    Baltimore over Philly

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Too early for me to make predictions. I just have the feeling the teams that practiced mostly together during the off-season are going to Boomrape® the first few weeks. I can't wait until we review who did and who didn't. Green Bay didn't, the Saints did, the Buccanneers did, the Eagles did, and I'm not sure who else.

Also I think its so funny how ESPN is like "These guys haven't talked to their coaches since the lockout!" I really can't buy that. With all the technology out there, they haven't talked to these guys at all. I mean there are some serious mentorship and/or father-son relationships going on. I don't believe these guys went radio silent completely.

3. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

All I know is I dug out all my Packer gear last night and brought it to the office. My "Packer Fan Parking Only" sign will go up in front of my spot. I fully expect one of the other agents, who is a Seachicken fan (HA! You are fucked buddy!) to hide it from me daily.

As for all the Favre bullshit, he'd be an idiot to come back and ride the bench. Based on that alone I don't see it happening and really hope it does not.

I am so happy the lockout is over and we can move on to counting down the days until we can see a game on TV. SO FUCKING STOKED. It's about time.

4. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know, back before the Super Bowl, I hoped against hope Green Bay would win. You know, Pittsburgh hate, and the fact that your general manager came from the Seattle organization shortly after our Super Bowl run. The nice old lady that happens to be my landlord is from Wisconsin and is a diehard fan. I figured you were all nice like that.

After your particular post, I can only hope Aaron Rodgers caught syphilis from all that post Super Bowl ass he was getting.

The season needs to start already.

5. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking sigh...McNabb to the Vikes.

6. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Carson Palmer is officially retired, and our numbskull owner was too proud to give in and deal Palmer for some draft picks. Yeah, he sucked a lot the last couple seasons, but he still had some trade value. Lots of money to spend in free agency, but why should anyone sign with the Bengals anymore?

7. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The idea of someone inviting the Favre circus upon their team merely for the purpose of having a backup QB with system familiarity boggles my mind. There's a million different QBs with a decent working knowledge of the West Coast offense, and they don't come with Favre's distracting baggage.

Sure, Andy Reid made a similar bet with Vick and it worked, but Vick had much greater upside (age, unique skills that could be used in the Wildcat).

I don't really know how upset you can be with that. Consider the alternatives. You clearly can't throw Ponder in at this point, as a rookie who has been deprived of prep time. Hasselback was the only other credible option, and I assume the Vikings made a play at him and failed. After that, you get into Bulger, Gradkowski, etc. Not exactly heartening.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, we doing money/free leagues again this year? Sign me up for both...

9. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Does this mean you're going to start posting again? I can think of several threads where your input would be most appreciated.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The Vikes at best will contend for a playoff seed this year, and McNabb is as good as any temporary improvement over what they have until they figure out if Ponder pans out or not.

10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be enjoying Sidney Rice too. Woohoo!

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After hearing what a dick Jerry Richardson was during the lockout, I am taking particular joy in seeing the Panthers over spend like drunken sailors. $125m on Charles Johnson, Deangelo Williams, and Olindo Mare? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Meanwhile the Bears are in no meaningful talks except with Brad Smith, whoopdee do. Now that Durant reupped with the Jags, thats another hopeful signing off the board. Praying for Sims-Walker and some OL help at this point.

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Albert Haynesworth to the Patriots. For a fifth-round draft pick in 2013. A Philly sports radio host said it best: "The Patriots front office is the gold standard of the league. The cup of coffee in my hand is worth more than that draft pick in two years. Why couldn't the Eagles have done that???"

I fucking love our front office.

13. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Say what?

14. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My bad, I was thinking of someone else reupping. I basically meant he was now off the board, probably to smack Cutler while running through our still unaddressed OL.

15. mrburgundy

mrburgundy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Looks like Brad Smith is off to the Bills, who were clearly one kick returner/decent wideout away from competing. I would have liked to see him come back to the Jets, but they just didn't have the cap space.

Also, I'm trying really hard to not get caught up in the Asomugha hype here but my blind faith in Mike Tannenbaum is making that impossible. Pairing him with Revis would take an already top 3 defense to a new level; anytime you can eliminate WR 1 and 2, that's a damn good start.

16. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry to burst your bubble, I've been reading that Houston is the front runner for Asomugha.

17. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reggie Bush to Miami, Albert Haynesworth to the Pats, Sidney Rice inks with Seattle for 5 years, and the Eagles deal Kolb for Rodgers-Cromartie. My friends, welcome back to the NFL.

I'm going to go on record now and say that the Haynesworth trade will go down as the most lopsided in the NFL since New England got Randy Moss for - wait for it - a 5th-round pick. Pats Pulpit had this to say:

I also can't help but feel that the Eagles got the much better end of the deal. A #2 corner to pair with Samuel AND a second-round pick, for Kevin Kolb? Someone must have forgotten to tell Arizona's front office that Kolb really sucks.

18. mrburgundy

mrburgundy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've heard the same thing. Apparently the Jets (according to a mix of Twitter rumors and frantic blog comments) are offering something in the 10-12 range, while Houston is upping it to 12-14. If they can't get Asomugha, ideally the Jets could resign Edwards and either Jonathan Joseph/Cromartie.

19. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

20. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.