Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where have I heard this pondering before? Oh, wait...

Obviously, they're all 3 different players, but Ochocinco has much less baggage than Moss did coming to New England. And Belichick wouldn't let Haynesworth get away with being as lazy as Shanahan let him in Washington.

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know what I love best about this? Watching all these guys sign, while the Bears front office members sit with their dicks in their hands, waiting for the chance to do jack-fucking-shit to fix all of the gaping holes on their team.

There are a number of WRs available that could be tremendously useful to Cutler, and better than the lineup they have now. Are you going to tell me that Braylon Edwards or Mike Sims-Walker won't be better than Devin "I can only run the go route" Hester or Johnny Knox? Sure, Braylon has more drops than the rest of the NFL combined, but he is certainly better than Hester.

Or, and I know this is crazy, but maybe they can find someone less, I don't know, "turnstyle-ish" to play on their offensive line, so our sulky-faced QB doesn't take more hits than a fat kid playing dodge ball.

Oh, but hey, you traded away Greg Olsen! Good for you, I bet that draft pick is going to do you a lot of good when you use it on a 3rd string safety next year, because you have an almost comical inability to draft offensive players.

Ugh, I have a sneaky feeling that even the Lions are going to outshine the Bears this year.

3. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck me, Ochocinco? I am now officially nervous. I have to think there's some theoretical limit on the amount of washed-up stars with attitude problems that Bill Belichick can rehabilitate.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=6814510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/co ... id=6814510</a>
    This strikes me as good news.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well the Bears got Roy Williams. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, he is BIG and the kind of receiver we have been lacking. On the other hand, he has done fuck all the last couple years. I'm hoping he just didn't jell with Romo and he can return to form. Martz has been calling all the fucking offensive shots, so this is his boy from Detroit, so lets not fuck this one up to.

The Olsen trade is laughable. When I originally saw Dan Connor and a 5th, I was still upset but accepted it as a decent trade. Straight up for a 3rd is a joke. How does that make us better now? This is squarely on Martz cause he doesn't like TEs doing anything more than blocking and his ego won't allow him to change even though Olsen was effective last year as Cutler's fav target.

At this point, the Bears have no 1st rd draft picks from the last 10 years, except for fucking Chris Williams, who still sucks.

5. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why am I the only one that is happy the Dolphins didn't trade for Kyle Orton?

The Broncos aren't going to keep him. And if the did, give Henne 1 more year with an OC under 70 and if he sucks, that's just a higher draft pick next year to go after a real QB.

Bringing in another Bminus QB is a waste of time. Especially overpaying for him at that. The Dolphins are the kings of wasting their 2nd round picks on retreads, hasbeens and neverwases.

6. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Word is that Denver wanted a pretty high price and Orton wanted a long term deal around $7mil. Just way too many red flags that even the dumbest GM wouldn't make that move. Best to stand pat, and if they do poorly this season maybe they'll get LUCKy in the draft. Unfortunately for the Dolphins, I think they'll have a poor season, but not poor enough to get the #1 pick.

Re: Haynesworth - I'm really interested in seeing how he does in New England's 3-4 defense. I know it's not a standard 3-4 and he could basically be considered an interior lineman on a lot of plays, but I still see it as an excuse if he winds up under-performing.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank fucking god. Jets are out of the running for Asomgha. Adam jumped on ESPN right now saying he might go to the Iggles. Holy fuck if he does.

Also Profootballtalk.com says Ty Warren was cut from the Patriots so unfortunately that line isn't going to happen. 85 on the Patriots is going to be interesting. Haynesworth is going to have a huge year.

2 players are now going to explode and rape the Bears as is history is wont to let them. Devin Aromashadu and Greg Olsen. Not sure how I feel about Roy Williams, but this was oddly predicted by my HR manager when she first read they weren't keeping him. I hope she was wrong, but we'll see how they play together.

8. mrburgundy

mrburgundy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

FUCK! My dreams of Asomugha and Revis are crushed by the Eagles, who now have the best secondary in the league.

Ideally, this means the Jets can sign Braylon, Cromartie, and Pool back, along with maybe (and this is homerism at its finest) swinging a trade for a pass rusher like Umenyiora, who appears ready to hold out due to his contract issues.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope you guys are all realizing that the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles is Andy Reid. Andy Reid's time management is so bad he could undercook top ramen. He hired an offensive line coach to be DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR! I bet if I made a list of 20 retarded decisions you could possibly do to ruin your franchise, Andy Reid would have made like 12 of them.

My bold prediction is that Philly will go deep into the playoffs, simply because their insanely talented group of players simply ignored the coaching staff and drew up plays on the field. And then Andy Reid will use two timeouts in the third quarter and ruin everything.

10. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

AKA the last 10 years of my life. If we could just hire someone to coach the 4th quarter and handle all the timeouts we'd be golden.

11. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NY Jets sign Plaxico Burress - LINK

As a Steelers fan, I'm ok with this. Aside from being a cancer, who knows whether he's in gameday shape. I still wish the Steelers would get a big, physical receiver though. Ward is getting old and losing a step. Wallace is more of a deep threat, and Grisham, Battle, Brown and Sanders are all under 6ft 1inches. They still have Sweed but that asshole has hands of stone.

12. JeffPrevails

JeffPrevails
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Noooot really sure what the 49ers' plan is for this free agency.
    -Release Nate Clements- okay, I understand he burned you with a big contract and didn't live up to it. But that leaves the already porous secondary...porouser?
    -Don't resign Aubrayo Frankin(sp)- Sure, we don't need a solid NT for our 3-4 defense.
    -Resign Alex Smith- Okay, I can justify this one with saying the new QB needs a year to grow.
    -Don't sign any available free agents at spots that are weaknesses(nameless CB and QB.)

I can only hope that the Niners are more talented than they performed up to last year, and Harbaugh is going to right the ship through better play and solid drafting.

13. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's rather damning that Patrick Willis straight up begged the FO to resign Franklin and he's still a free agent. Not that I'm complaining. Franklin does a pretty good job of drawing double teams and letting Willis be as amazing as he is.

If I were you, I'd stand outside of the 49ers complex and yell at anybody that goes in or out to sign Franklin.

14. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly. That's the other thing people down here don't understand. The Fins front office is working on 1 year contracts. Even if they tank the season in purpose, the team won't be the worst around and they GM/coach won't be around to pick a new QB anyways!

15. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

??

The Vikes traded a couple of 6th round picks for him. Doesn't seem like a retarded amount to me.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Moss retires as, statistically, the second best WR ever.

17. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got mixed feelings on Moss, simply because I believe he had the most talent I had ever seen a wideout ever having. I imagine that if he wasn't such a primadonna headcase, Jerry Rice's records would have been obliterated.

18. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Moss is one of, if not my favorite football players ever. Watching him play was simply amazing. Even though he's only 33, I'm not surprised he's retiring, since having watched him since he was a rookie it was obvious a few years into his career that football simply wasn't a true passion for him.

I also agree with you that if he had been motivated he absolutely could've broken all of Rice's records. He has the type of game that would translate into playing at a high level even into his late 30's & early 40's.

19. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everyone has a hard-on for his intangibles. You can firmly put me not in that category. I have a little more faith (ha!) in him than I did when he was drafted, but anyone can see that his mechanics are at least a year or two away from being un-shitty.

With Elway at the helm, I trust that the decisions of all things QB won't be made in haste. Only time will tell.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One line of thinking I've never ever understood was how just because executive played position "A", he was suddenly qualified to be a personnel manager. Was John Elway a terrific QB? Absolutely. But being able to huck a ball 60 yards downfield across your body doesn't make you smart when it comes to picking QB's. In fact, I would go so far as to argue that Elway has done a pretty lousy job with the QB situation.

Tebow, like him or not, does not project into a good QB. His weird throwing motion, questionable arm strength, and reading an NFL defense are pretty significant marks against him. And yet Elway wants a guy like that to start over a guy like Kyle Orton, who was projected to hit over 4000 yards passing until he got injured last year. Really? And then you want to trade him to Miami?

I'm trying to figure out the logic here, but I'm not seeing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.