Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Too late. Franklin just signed with the Saints.

Seattle just picked up Zach Miller. Woohoo! A 25 year old receiving TE that was just named to the Pro Bowl as an alternate with nobody throwing to him? Yes, please.

2. aotke1110

aotke1110
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This is part of it. The other part is that no one expects the Broncos to do anything worthwhile for at least two years if not longer. The fan logic around Denver is to just let Tebow start and see what he has. If he does well, great! If not, no one was expecting to win more than 4 games anyway and now you can draft Luck/Barkley/whatever other pro style QB that is coming out next year. In addition, Orton will walks next year when his contract is up anyway, so why not try and get something for him while he still has some perceived value (obviously not much seeing how free agency has gone so far). At the end of the day they make money off of Tebow and have an idea if he is the future or not.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best summation of the Tebow situation came from Dilfer in a BS Report. Simmons got all fanboy and was talking about the Mic'd up episode where it showed Tebow yelling at one of his coaches "Give me the ball! I'll get it done!" And Simmons all giddy like "How can you not love that, its awesome!" And Dilfer's deadpan response was "Yeah...until it doesn't work",

Tebow fans get all giddy about his inflated numbers from the end of last year. Once he runs into a wall, hopefully it dissipates.

4. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll concede that trading Orton makes sense in the long-term, but barely. I don't buy for a second that Denver's front office wants to tank an entire season for the chance at a player in the draft. The goal of every franchise is to put out the best team you can possibly field and play out each game. If you don't, you alienate your fanbase, your players, and sponsors who don't want to be associated with losers. No matter how.much it's perceived as being helpful in the long term.

Not only that, the AFC West isn't exactly the toughest division in football right now. Jesus, look at Seattle last year. If they stayed hot after that Saints game, who knows what could have happened.

5. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy fuck you have no idea what you're talking about. Orton looks pretty when it doesn't matter. He'll look good between the 20's and practice. But don't count on him in the fourth quarter and don't expect him to avoid the rush. Let me tell you, there's nothing better than watching your quarterback going in the fetal position every time a big man gets near him. Did you not watch the 17 point comeback against Houston? Or that near comeback against SD? The only reason We were even competitive in those games was because of Tebos. If you couldn't see the difference in energy in the team between Tebow and Orton then I don't know what to tell you. I don't give a shit about the numbers, give me a QB that doesn't cave under pressure and actually leads the team.

6. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What does it mean when players on the team you're rooting for want Orton over Tebow? I read a report saying that Tebow is getting outplayed by not only Orton but Quinn as well.

7. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One who doesn't cry after every loss would be nice, too.

Merril Hoge gets it.

Attached Files:

8. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Somebody go wake up Jerry Reese and tell him that the lockout is over. I think the man forgot to set his alarm clock or something.

9. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Andy Reid is denying claims that he's coaching a "Dream Team." I'd say it has something to do with realizing that he's not a "Dream Team"-caliber coach, but I doubt it.

10. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81d3b7b5/Week-16-Tim-Tebow-highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights</a>

Those look like NFL skills to me.

11. zwtipp05

zwtipp05
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Funny, that also looks like the worst pass defense in the NFL (Yd/game, TD allowed, most 40+ yd plays allowed and 2nd worst in Yd/A), etc.

12. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry, I didn't know that the Houston Texans didn't count. How about this, Tim Tebow's first 3 games were: 50% cmp pct 654 yds 5tds 3ints
    Sam Bradford: 59% cmp pct 655 yds 4tds 5ints

And that's not factoring in rushing yards and touchdowns.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Tim Tebow wasn't Tim Tebow, you'd probably think he was a decent prospect with unique talents but some deficiencies. Instead, because he is Christianity's Last Hope, everyone projects their issues with his persona onto his play.

His completion percentage is poor, but other than that, he was an above average NFL quarterback when he played. And considering that he was a rookie...I have to begrudgingly admit that he's ok.

I think the preference for Tebow within the organization is largely based on an general feeling that Orton played well above his ability in Denver, and will eventually revert to mediocrity. No one thinks Orton is the quarterback of the future. They assume that Tebow has significant upside, whereas Orton has basically a 0% chance of playing as well as he played last season. When you have a team that no one thinks is a serious Super Bowl threat...

14. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a UF alumnus, I know I am a little biased on the subject, but I have seen every college game Tebow played in.

Bottom line, he is a winner. He gets the ball where it needs to be. Is it always pretty? No. Is he going to look terrific in practice? No. But when the whistle blows and the games count, he's going to get the job done.

If I were Denver, I don't know that I would be ready to dump Orton and make Tebow the fulltime starter, but I think he deserves a chance. Whether it be in a Wildcat role, or spot duty, I think he can get the job done in the NFL with his arm and his legs.

For ever Tebow there was a guy that looked great throwing the ball, but still couldn't win his way out of a paper bag.

15. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If he was just a normal guy, he wouldn't be up for discussion.

And if a frog had wings, it wouldnt bump its ass when it hopped.

16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's hard to succeed in the NFL when you cock the ball back past your waist before you throw, just ask Byron Leftwich.

Tebow could actually be a better fit for the pound-the-rock style Fox runs than the throw-it-50-times style McDaniels was doing. The problem could be that the line is built for pass protection (and they do a damn good job) instead of getting to the linebackers.

17. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Here's the thing about Tebow; he has playmaking ability with his legs at the college level. At the pro level the only QB who has made a career with his playmaking legs/feet is Michael Vick, a man who may be one of the greatest athletes of the '00s. Even then, his arm and release were superior to Tebow's (his motion is not elite, but his arm is). Tebow becomes a legitimate threat when he shortens his motion so that he can create space short field and make a play down field...and stops talking with the naivete of a 13 y/o

18. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right, I didn't mean to deny this. It's clearly true. I'm not a big fan of the guy and probably wouldn't start him right now myself.

My point is that Tebow, due to the adulation and Jesus-freak attitude, tends to produce an emotional reaction from both sides that's unwarranted given his actual statistics and demonstrated abilities.

Randall Cunningham and Steve Young would disagree. As would early career McNabb and Steve McNair. Maybe they're all better passers than Tebow, but they all were major playmaking threats.

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These are the numbers you're trying to make your case with? Those are shitty numbers. The completion percentage is way below average, it works out to just over 200 yards/game and while those are good td/int numbers for a rookie, they're fucking garbage for a real QB.

20. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're forgetting that Tebow once fed an entire crowd of onlookers with just 5 TDs and 3 INTs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.