Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by $100T2, Sep 1, 2012.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8819392/georgia-bulldogs-aaron-murray-return-senior-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ior-season</a>

Thank God.

Also: <a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8818277/florida-gators-qb-jacoby-brissett-rb-chris-johnson-transfer-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ansfer-out</a>

2. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't be too excited. He's staying too:
    [​IMG]

3. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't really get this, as he had a good shot at being the first QB drafted. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Leinart and just take a ballroom dancing class. Maybe he just wants to hear the talking heads start coming up with reasons that Barkley isn't so bad after all.

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He has almost no chance of being the first QB drafted. I don't say that out of disdain for his talent: it's just on pretty much no one's draft board. Smith, Barkley, and Wilson are almost universally expected to go before Murray, with many putting Mike Glennon of NC State ahead of him as well. The NFL advisory committee informed him that he was likely to go in the second or third round.

He's likely to be a first rounder next year, with a significantly better shot at being the first QB taken (he'll be competing with Teddy Bridgewater, with Manziel and Bray behind them).

5. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Go Bison! They just won their second straight FCS championship and had two top 10 plays on Sportcenter!

6. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, the last time Notre Dame got killed this bad on the football field, at least they could blame it on the scissor lift and bad weather reports.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, that got ugly in a hurry. I thought we'd see better from Notre Dame after the rest of the SEC fell short of expectations.

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow. That whoosh sound you heard is a bandwagon emptying.

Murray is shooting for a TON of SEC/UGA records if he stays another year, and he's not projected very high in the draft due to his height (I've seen both 6' and 6'1"). I'm just happy because Murray is a huge part of the best UGA offense I've seen in a long time. I can hope for a title run again, which is nice considering we got left out of the BCS (and UF got smoked).

9. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Finally, a rape Notre Dame can't cover up and pretend never happened

10. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow. Homerism fully acknowledged. But I must admit in addition to being wrong about both the closeness of the game and the victor, I was wrong about one more thing...I'm sure the line of board members calling me a deluded dumbass starts here.

11. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Erin Murray? Never heard of her.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I just want to say that this whole thing with Musburger and the QB's beauty qeeen girlfriend is so overblown it's ridiclous. They issued an apology? Really ESPN? If she's OK with it, leave it be and move on. It's not like there aren't a billion other sports stories going on right now.

WAIT! You guys! I've got it!!! He and Costas should do a special on hot bitches and guns!!!

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been holding off on posting because I've been an Alabama fan for a quarter decade.

1) Notre Dame was hideously, ridiculously over-rated. I even started to believe some of the talk that Notre Dame could handle them, until I watched the first drive where 'Bama took the fresh fish into the prison showers.

2) The BCS sucks. Think about it... We could have had an Ohio State - Notre Dame final if OSU wasn't on sanctions. It would have been just as fucking ugly as this game was. Again, Notre Dame is hideously, ridiculously over-rated.

3) Considering that 'Bama lost a SHITLOAD of talent, this was technically a Saban "rebuilding year". I expect them to be better next year. Now, as a true Alabama fan, all I can think of is when Saban eventually leaves and we get ass-fucked with multiple "rebuilding years", but for now, I'm going to enjoy it.

4) That game sucked. When my 8-year old son says (at 14-0), "This game is over, I'm going to bed", you know it's bad. I think to bring any sort of parity to the game, the NCAA needs to randomly assign schedules, do a play-off, etc. Notre Dame had NO business being there. At all. In any way, shape or form.

EDIT: SORRY, BUT MS. ALABAMA HAS A KURT RUSSELL JAW. She's pretty, sure. I would pound her if she spread her legs, but she's not that pretty. There are a lot of girls modeling in Los Angeles that are at least as good looking as her. Just sayin'.

14. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

It is no secret the way it works is broken and has been for a long time. Didn't I read something that they are going to re do all of it next year or the year after? God I hope so. It's a joke and almost sets teams up for failure. It needs revamping.

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, absolutely. Any system (including the Presidency) that allows votes/opinion to determine the winner is hopelessly, tragically flawed. I promise you, every college football fan preferred 'Bama-LSU from last year over 'Bama-Notre Dame. Sorry, but when the #2 team is an 11 point favorite over the #1 team, you have a giant fucking problem.

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I see why you say this. It's crazy to think that Lacy, who will likely be the first running back taken, was their second best running back this year. Yeldon might run for a million yards next year.

But Alabama has to replace most of their line. They'll be losing one of if not the best guards in recent CFB memory, the best center since Pouncey, and Fluker, who is "only" a low first rounder. Their starting TE is graduating, too. That'll be a tough bunch to replace, especially since the line was the most dominant part of their play on Monday.

Also, I imagine Alabama would have kicked OSU's ass whistle to whistle as well. OSU barely got by a limping Michigan squad, so I doubt the end result would have been any different. Hell, I'm still not convinced that OSU could beat Notre Dame: if you look at shared opponents, ND had better margins of victory.

With the way Alabama played on Monday, they were kicking ANYONE's ass.

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, exactly. Lacy was good, no doubt, but imagine Trent Richardson getting all those carries.

I think Barrett Jones is the biggest loss, but some of their line is returning, and they say Kouandjio is the best lineman they've got... If he sticks around, they should be OK.

As far as I know, McCarron is coming back, Yeldon is coming back... If Amari Cooper stays another year, then 'Bama is in good shape.

ETA: Here's the 'Bama roster. I don't see too many seniors on there, although the seniors listed leaving will definitely hurt (i.e. Jones, Lester, Jesse Williams, Chance Warmack).

18. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thought I would post this article about Johnny Manziel and his meeting with the Texas A&M A.D. who is concerned about his behavior. My brother just happened to sit next to Manziel in class last year at A&M and said he was really nice and friendly. I hope it stays that way, although I have my doubts. Manziel hasn't done anything shocking yet (besides win the Heisman as a freshman), but I can't help but wonder what else is going on with him after this quick rise to fame. Clearly Texas A&M is concerned.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_s..._parents_about_post_heisman_behavior/12658690

19. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

McSmallstuff, thoughts?

<a class="postlink" href="http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- ... -is-a-hoax</a>

This is fucking despicable. And Notre Dame's statement is such a load of complete horseshit that it makes him look even worse.

Interesting comments on the article propose it was a cover story when Te'o is actually gay. If so, that's sad and says something terrible about the state of homophobia in athletics. But still, the media sympathy and coverage and warrior cred he got for playing after her death is fucking terrible in light of all of this. One of my ND fan friends on FB already tried to create some red herring with some statement about Lance Armstrong

20. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absolutely unreal. I wouldn't be surprised if this does have something to do with him being gay (my gay roommate calls him "suspect") and I am not at all surprised by homophobia in the sports world. I'm wondering how much this will affect his draft stock, if at all. Notre Dame's response is fucking awful. I can't help but wonder if they have some involvement in this and how deep the rabbit hole really is.