Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by $100T2, Sep 1, 2012.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

C'mon, dude. SEC football scores are feast or famine, or am I the only one who remembers Bama/LSU games that looked like 13-7? For me, this is a crazy, unusual year with high scoring games. Anyway, Tennessee with Dooley as a head coach is a crazy game for us, and no conference game is a guaranteed win. Some teams are just able to hang and show up, and I would hate a schedule of nothing but 44-3 wins, because it's a boring, offensive circle-jerk.

Bottom line: win is a win, even a non-convincing win.

2. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also Stanford beat Oregon. And they play football very similar to what Notre Dame plays. Lock down defense and long drives. As others have said a win is a win. Is Notre Dame unquestionably better than any other team out there? Hell no. But they have won ever game they have played thus far. Can any team you've mentioned say the same. In the case of Oregon there is an opponent in common. Both were close games decided in overtime. The only difference is Notre Dame won.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stanford could have won that ND game in overtime too if the officials would have let them...

[​IMG]

4. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be fair, if Notre Dame's schedule this year was a conference, it would be a pretty good conference.

5. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm nervous for this ND game tomorrow. USC has nothing to lose and they are always a tough game.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

My husband isn't a USC fan, but he IS from California. He loves to taunt me when those two teams go head to head. Unfortunately USC usually wins so his taunting gets cranked up even more.

7. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tell him that a random person on the internet thinks he's an asshat.

8. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well its my one game a year to root for Michigan. Fuck Ohio State.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Ohio St finished undefeated. Would they be in the title game if not for the ban? Normally I would say of course, because a one loss team from any conference would never jump them, but the big ten was unusually bad this season. That, and Ohio St's wins aren't all that impressive.

10. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know, they seriously kicked the shit out of Nebraska. But they're only third in the two main polls that include them, and their strength of schedule falls below the top 9 BCS teams. It's at a minimum non-obvious that they'd displace Notre Dame and/or the SEC champion.

As a Michigan fan, I'd like it to be noted that OSU still only managed to barely beat a limping Michigan squad.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kind of feel bad for the gators' defense. They've gift wrapped wins all year, but the offense is practically impotent. Even today they've forced 4 turnovers, but they're losing because the offense gives the seminoles the ball right next to the end zone and have less than 100 yards all day.

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was one of the top defenses in the country and Florida put up 245 yards on the ground.

I am fairly certain that if Jeff Driskel didnt lack the gene that allows a qb to THROW THE FUCKING BALL AWAY under pressure, the Gators would be playing for the National Championship.

He is physically incapable of air mailing it when the pocket collapses. He takes horrendous sacks. His 1 attempt at throwing the ball away was penalized because the dumb fuck scrambled BACK INTO THE TACKLE BOX and then tried to chuck it out of bounds.

Very frustrating.

13. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lane Kiffin can now add horrific clock management and abject failure as a crunch time playcaller to his resume of being an absolute douchebag.

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, UGA, Bama or ND?

Please, Richt....this might be your last chance. My heart can't take another 3rd place finish.

15. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was five the last time Notre Dame had a season like this. God damn I'm so stoked for the national championship game.

16. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So to you SEC fans, who do you want to see in the national title?

17. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would love to see Georgia play for and win the title. I despise Alabama and would love to see someone who hasn't won a national championship in a while play for the title. That said, I think Alabama will be the national champion.

Am I the only one here loving the demise of Auburn?

18. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't know a ton about football in the X's and O's department, but I know enough to know that Kiffin is an idiot. I don't understand how a team with as many weapons as we have can't score. We have the best receiver in the country in Lee, Woods would be the top receiver on almost any other team, the freshman Agholar will be a star next year. We also have Silas Redd and McNeal in the backfield.

On that last drive he did so many stupid things I don't know where to start. Two fades two Marqise, two PI's. What that tells me is that there is no way their DB can cover Marqise, therefore keep going there or to another receiver. Don't try to run up the middle with our shitty line against one of the best D lines in the country. Also, running a bootleg, or letting one of our backs take it outside was so painfully obvious and wide open. Then again, Brian Kelly might have worried about it if he though Kiffin had any idea what he was doing over there. And then why the fuck he didn't just kick the field goal is beyond me. We were running through the Irish defense in the middle of the field on a bunch of drives, we would just get bogged down near the goal line. Considering Marqise had gotten behind the defense three times already, probably could have gotten back down there pretty easily. (But then again I don't know that much football so if someone has an answer please share. If not I'll continue to look at almost every other team and wish we had their coach instead)

This is not to say I don't appreciate what Kiffin has done for the school. Coming in at the time he did with the sanctions, and keeping up our recruiting classes while also bringing us to a top 5 AP ranking last year, I think he should stay as head coach. But someone else should be calling plays. And whatever Monty is doing up there isn't working.

19. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Um...Rutgers seens to be tired of playing this game.

20. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stanford to the Rose Bowl. That makes three BCS Bowl Games in a row. Not bad for a program that was given up for dead about five years ago.