Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by $100T2, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure why some people aren't impressed with Notre Dame's season, aside from it not fitting their "SEC Rulez!" narrative.

Notre Dame beat 8 bowl-eligible teams this year. Alabama beat 5 and Georgia beat 4.

Notre Dame's opponents are a combined 80-62 (pending some games today)
    Alabama's opponents are a combined 70-72 (60-70 if you only count teams they beat)
    Georgia's opponents are a combined 71-71 (61-69 if you only count teams they beat)

Notre Dame beat the Pac-12 champion and the second-best team in the Big-12, who is likely BCS-bound. They've probably got the best resume of any of the national title game contenders in recent years, yet it seems like they're only allowed to be in it by default. They're the Mitt Romney to college football's Republican Primary.

2. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Clutch you can't come with logic like that. SEC fans will burn you as a witch.

On a side note I'm pulling for OU but TCU got fucking robbed of that field goal.

3. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh shit! Bama might be done.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think its cause they looked so unconvincing beating alot of mediocre teams like BYU, Purdue, and . I'll give them the Oklahoma game was a great win seeing as it was on the road, but I'm not so convinced Oklahoma is that good. They lost to the only 2 truly good teams they played. Stanford wouldn't have come close to winning the Pac-12 until they switched QBs. They lost to Washington and barely beat Arizona before the ND game. And then there is barely beating USC with Barkley out. Not to mention they only played 4 fucking road games all year cause of "road" games in Chicago and Dublin.

I'm not saying they are a bad team, I'm just saying watching ND all year, they've never looked like an undefeated #1 team. Give them credit for winning the games they had on their schedule.

Unrelated, Lacy is an animal.

5. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can I ask who this year has looked convincing in every game they "should" win?

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except for the TAMU game, Bama definitely has. Except for not showing up against SC, Georgia has as well. Except for that bizarre ULL game, Florida I would argue has as well. Its a circular argument when you get down to it. You have ND barely sneaking by inferior teams, while you have Georgia and Bama blowing teams up, but then both lost games to top 10 teams. If it was just the Pitt game, I think it wouldnt be a discussion. But it was Purdue, and Pitt, and BYU. And sneaking by an eh Michigan team at home. And fighting for their lives against a reeling USC team with the greenest of QBs. Its the volume of those kind of wins I guess that aren't impressing people. Makes for a good narrative for the media though.

Maybe its just cause I'm sick of the fact that, statistically, Manti T'eo is the most overrated player in the country.

7. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They kept showing him at the ND basketball game the other night and before I figured out who he was, I just kept thinking "Man, its fucked up to keep showing the kid with Down's Syndrome like that".

Has be been tested?

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where the hell has this Wisconsin team been all season?

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As heartbroken as I am, AGAIN, that we couldn't win the SEC title, and were achingly close to the title Richt needs, you do have a point. UGA especially dodged a few opponents that would have been much more challenging, like Arkansas or LSU, and caught Auburn, Tennessee and GT at low points in their programs. This was a weak schedule for us, and we milked it, but weren't ready for a team like Bama. I'm happy with that game, just not the fucking ending, and Richt should take a shot of Les Mile's mojo and be more aggressive when you're a shoelace away from the title, before he loses the job. I just hope Murray sticks it out for another shot.

10. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So it looks like NIU is going to take Oklahoma's spot in the BCS. Right now it's being reported that the bowl match-ups are going to be the following:

BCS Championship - Notre Dame vs Alabama
    Rose Bowl - Wisconsin vs Stanford
    Fiesta Bowl - Kansas State vs Oregon
    Sugar Bowl - Florida vs Louisville
    Orange Bowl - Florida St vs Northern Illinois

11. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The five "best" bowls and only two of them are even going to be interesting.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The fact that Florida goes and UGA doesn't can fuck a stump. How are we ranked lower than a team in our division that we beat? UGA plays Nebraska in the "Aww, Goddammit" Bowl.

Fucking nonsense, give me a playoff or give me death/hockey.

Two of those games look good, the rest look fucking awful.

13. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because you got waxed by a team that Florida beat pretty bad. Do GA fans really not remember losing to SC? Florida should be undefeated if they didnt turn the ball over 37x against GA and still only lost by 8.

You had your shot, I was even hoping you would win it all.

Now I gotta hope ND can beat Alabama because thats what its come down to. I hate ND slightly less than I hate Saban, so ND it is.

14. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck both you guys. I hear Tampa is scenic this time of year.

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But your transitive property shit doesn't work when Florida finished behind Georgia, cause Georgia fucking beat them. It doesn't matter how they did it, they did, and thats the bottom line. Its just more of the BCS's nonsense.

But lets be real, both UGA and UF belong in the BCS well before a Northern Illinois team that lost to fucking Iowa. And thats coming from someone who went to a MAC school that would have had a BCS birth if the top 16 rule existed 8-9 years ago. Kent State wouldn't have been any better. Great story, ran the table in the MAC...but they got blown out by fucking Kentucky.

I hate the way college sports is going and think its cool to have upstarts from schools in the MAC and the Sun Belt with comparatively tiny budgets, but lets stop pretending the BCS isn't a fucking joke anymore.

16. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wasnt trying to use the transitive property, just pointing out that GA has 2 loses.

If GA was undefeated and lost in the SEC Championship game and FL went to a BCS bowl ahead of them, that would suck. But 1 loss is better than 2 loses. Im sure FL would have been happy to give up their BCS Bowl for a chance to play in the SEC Championship game and have a shot at the National Title.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not even clear on why Northern Illinois is there. Being in the top 16 and getting guaranteed a spot seems silly, with only four major bowl games. But I support it, because the hurt BCS-conference feelings might be enough to make the whole thing come tumbling down.

18. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, but your homerism neglects to acknowledge that UGA's second loss came in the conference championship game. What a lot of people are saying is that it's unfair to be penalized for losing what is essentially a post-season game.

19. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If it's fair to be rewarded for winning the game, it should be fair to be penalized for losing it.

The capital one bowl is probably the best non-BCS bowl anyway. Michigan and Northwestern got more screwed by a championship game when Nebraska let Wisconsin bump all three of them down a bowl.

20. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was my point...if you dont want to be penalized, then dont go. Take the BCS Bowl and skip the SEC championship. Again, I could understand if you were comparing teams with 2 losses each, but youre not=1 loss>2 losses. Sorry that 2nd loss came in the championship game. Too bad. So sad. Call your dad.

People made the same argument when conferences like the Big10 and Pac10 didnt have championship games.

FYI: The BCS isn't fair.