Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2016 (fake) Thanksgiving WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok I made that joke because I have a lofted bed. But then again I kind of live in a well nice dorm.

2. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to defend those assholes, but it was pretty standard drunk frat idiot behavior, the bigger problem was the greek organization that chose to have their formal at a fucking National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati. You give a bunch of 18-22 college kids and their dates alcohol and a venue, they are going to get inappropriately drunk and try to fuck, regardless of where they are, and thats exactly what happened. Doesn't matter if its at a conference center, an empty polka hall, a zoo, or a museum that has a restored former slave house (where a drunk couple was found banging), its going to happen. Of course it was then spun as more than what it was. Its cyclical, any school with a large Greek population (Miami's hovers near 50-60%) has these issues.

The funny thing about Miami for me. I loved the school, the campus is gorgeous, I donate annually and take a lot of pride in my degree...but I couldn't wait to leave most of the kids I went to school with. The spoiled rich kid narrative is overplayed, same with J Crew U. Its nothing compared to any East Coast school, but its definitely a stark contrast to a lot of public schools in the Midwest, so I see where it comes from. It was more the attractive girls wanting to become conservative Stepford Wives and dudes going into full middle aged dad mode immediately after college that made me seek out different circles once I moved to Chicago.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A Miami grad that moved to Chicago?! Shocking. Way to break from the herd.*

*Had I actually given a shit about going to college when I was in high school I'd have tried to go to Miami.

#363 Kubla Kahn, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had to transfer to a cheaper college because I didn't want to be paying loans off into my 40s. There is so much ass rape in university fees that go well beyond tuition I'll never donate a cent as an alumni. Despite my efforts and despite having moved an inordinate number of times before turning 30 they sometimes still manage to find me and ask me to 'give back'.

It must be nice to have parents that pay the full ride, or being minority/correct income bracket to get the big scholarships. I had multiple scholarships throughout, worked all summer and on/off throughout the school year. My parents did help out some, and that helped, but I'm shooting for 35ish to have it wiped out.

I would contemplate shooting myself if I had the debt some of the people I know do.

5. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

I just added up how much money I spent on books this year.

That was a bad idea.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I have one..... ONE more bloody class to go and I'm done after five long years.

Book are a ripoff artist's dream using got-you-by-the-balls tactics. Since you have no choice, you have to pay $600 for two pounds of wood. Hell, one of my books was hole-punched photocopies in a binder and cost me two hundred fucking dollars. They could write corner stores a clinic on how to gouge people.

7. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You really need to get help with your 50 shades obsession

8. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

1.) I've never read those books. I downloaded the sample out of curiosity and couldn't get past the terrible writing to even attempt to get hooked on the story. 2.) I'm pretty sure there are only three or four 50 Shades books. $40 is nothing, son. 3.) I've read a handful of romance books this year. What of it? I've read 53 books so far. My favorite book this year was God Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo followed closely by You by Caroline Kepnes. I wouldn't call either of them a romance. That's not counting the reread of The Dark Tower series that I'm in the middle of right now. My tastes are nothing if not eclectic.

#368 abneretta, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  9. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have yet to read a book I wasn't required to read this year. Have a hard time recalling the last book I read for leisure...

I was watching The Graduate last night and for some reason I was reminded of you. Obviously you're too young to be Mrs. Robinson but still

10. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

For someone who claims to have a pretty good grip on pop culture, I've never seen The Graduate. I generally get all the references but I've never actually seen it.

I do have a friend who's never seen The Princess Bride though. How does that even happen?

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The Graduate was before my time, pretty well, so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

12. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

I don't feel bad about it, per say, I've just never got around to watching it. Apparently I'd rather rewatch Tarantino movies.

13. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was lucky enough to have my parents pay for my undergrad, but I took loans to pay for my MBA. Ive been paying it off for 2-3 years and I JUST started cracking into the principal, which is absurd. I gained a lot of respect for my Dad realizing that he took out loans to pay for the tuitions of me and my 3 sisters. 2 of them went to in state schools, and I ended up getting in state tuition at Miami my last 2 years due to scholarships, but the debt load he still carries as a result is ridiculous. And this is someone who has been making well over a $250K for the last decade. Which just puts into perspective how crazy tuition has gotten.

I went to grad school part time while working, and even then, I dropped out of consideration for Kellogg at Northwestern during the interview process cause the extra $40K over my time, I couldn't justify. One of my best friends went to USC, full time, and took out loans for his entire tuition and living. And he wasn't eating ramen. He had some savings, but the thought of what his debt load is like gives me hives.

14. Malignity

Malignity
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

How does the college debt system work in the US?

In the UK we pay it back through PAYE mainly which is done through your employer and the amount you pay is in relation to your salary.

For example, I earn approx £2000.00 per month before tax and I pay £53 a month for student loan.

You also need to earn a certain amount before tax, £17000.00 per year I think, before any deductions are paid. Plus at a certain age, maybe retirement, the debt is cancelled off.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well you go to college and then the day after you graduate, a big, brolic black man named Requis storms into your house, pulls the bed sheet over your head, and violently rapes you until you pay your loan back.

16. Malignity

Malignity
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Now I see why it's such a popular option

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to toss that into the void of the internet. Children should know the truth.

[​IMG]

18. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love and hate flying. Flew back from San Diego, and while its way more convenient than driving a car, its a germophobes worst nightmare and feels like a waste of time sometimes. I planned on doing some work during the leg to St. Louis. Unfortunately there was some huge person in the middle seat so wide it made working impossible without jabbing Jabba.

At least I've stopped getting fondled at security, that I can be thankful for.

19. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On the one hand, I grew up poor white trash, attended the 11th best public college in Ohio, yet still cleared six figures this year in my 20s (despite being unemployed for 2 months).

On the other hand, I've gotten laid less often than that guy that Requis raped.

I guess there is a trade-off.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is that the one where the somali immigrants go on stabbing sprees with safety scissors because that's what the school orders for you guys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.