Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2017 Eclipse WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Mazel Tov.

One of these 12 year old "video games are art tooooo" armchair philosophers who cries themselves to sleep every night because they can't find CGP Grey to analingus him made an indie (read: shitty) game once where you go through as a little stick figure, and if you take one path you get a baby and if you go the other path you get 4 bags of money, and you have to take either one path or the other. This was mildly clever and your situation reminded me of this.

Fuck, Nettdata shadowbanned me, didn't he. Goddamn it, I know he did.

Fuck.

2. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's much, much worse. Nett edited your posts so you sound totally crazy pants.

Welcome back.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice to have you back Drfrylock

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Good. That guy is a douchebag and I strongly dislike him.

LeBatard and Stugotz is entertaining radio.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nope... your comments are kind of like that crazy, drunk guy in the back alley... when you happen run into them, you just slowly back away and try not to engage.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

While I'm not a follower of theirs, Ethan and Fila started off as just a couple of people posting random thoughts on YouTube in a rather genuine, non-gimmicky way. Their demeanor and presentation resonated with people, and their following grew and they were able to monetize their popularity using YouTube.

This lawsuit that they just went through is a pretty big deal for the YouTube crowd, as too many ego-driven YouTubers were using the DMCA, improperly, to take down things that they didn't like or made them look bad.

Ethan and Fila were threatened and bullied by the guy to take down a critical video they made of him, and they didn't back down, and paid to defend themselves in the lawsuit, successfully. It's been ongoing for almost a year and a half, and has been incredibly stressful for them.

Can't say as I blame them for wanting to celebrate.

I do find it funny how you just dismiss YouTubers in general. Hell, I subscribe to and watch quite a few very interesting and informative channels, some of whom provide content daily. I'm a Patreon to a few of them, and am quite glad that they are making enough off of the platform and their channel that they can run it full-time and make content for me to enjoy.

I get where you're coming from with respect to bullshit "kids" who do nothing but spew attitude and get millions of school kids as followers, but hey, good for them if they've figured out how to game the system.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable MTV "where are they now" for YouTube celebrities, where their only skill was being an online celebrity.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My son is in the NICU, just a cough basically but better safe than sorry and he'll likely be out by this evening. The hospital he's at is one of the best in Texas and if it was anywhere else they'd likely just send him home.... point is, the NICU here, being so big, is now getting a bunch of babies from the Texas coast. Apparently they're expecting this shit to be really really bad.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

One of the few Youtubers I subscribe too is Primitive Technology, mostly because its really cool and the guy has never said a word in any of his videos. Ever. Its refreshing that every one of his videos doesnt end with "Hey y'all, hit like and subscribe." Fuck you. The only other one I routinely pay attention to is Kurzgesagt, again because they are very well made.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That guy is amazing. He passes on on these incredible and useful skills just because they are his to share, and his how-to viewing method is second to none.

#191 Crown Royal, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And it cant be overstated either. He builds stone tools and a furnace from scratch then forges iron. Its awesome.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That's a skill? I do find it funny that these no-talent youtubers think they're entitled to money for their awful content. Your payment is attention, which is what you wanted in the first place. Netflix are content creators.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Word. The one where he crafted tiles on a open fire was astonishing.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Actually, it is. If you think that online celebs with a few million subscribers just happened by mistake, then you're delusional.

Editing, pacing, content, etc., all take some sort of skill... don't kid yourself.

Go look at someone like Marques Brownlee, or Alec Steele, or even Jimmy Diresta, and you'll see that they all have honed excellent online skills to bring their talent to bear.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

(Loaded) question for you... do you think being a DJ is skilled work?

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm concerned about flooding. It really depends on the rate at which the rain comes down. If we get 20 inches over 3-4 days, we might be...ok. But if it dumps like 10 inches the first day, we're fucked.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It's practically the opposite. A musician is skilled work. A DJ is a medium. The only "skill" is learning to mix songs seamlessly and using the right music for the right songs. Which doesn't qualify as hard work.

19. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I think it is one of those things where there is absolutely skill involved but the connection between skill and success is frequently weak. Same with most YouTubers. Or photographers. Or Kardashians. Or Rich Housewives.

Some people have a tendency to see success and attribute it to skill where I'd attribute it to far more accidental factors. True in lots of professions where success = fame.

Just because the market loves something (sometimes for 10 seconds) doesn't make it good, or turn a no-talent assclown into some kind of misunderstood genius.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You sound jealous. Which part of this career arc are you in at the moment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.