Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2017 Mothers Day WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I was the opposite... I liked 4 because it had some humour in it, but 3 seemed kind of flat. Still, love all things Alien/Geiger.

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to turn this into Reacher thread but who voices the audio books? The only audio books I've ever listened to are Adam Carolla's.

Blackheart rum is pretty tasty, not as good as Captain but that is most likely my bias talking.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It varies but the most common is a guy named Jack Hill... they all do a great job of voicing the different characters.

I highly recommend all of them (I'm up to book 12 so far).

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Honestly, the audiobooks I have all sound like they're from the same guy... but Google says that there are a few different readers that share the duty.

Still, they are all very well done in my opinion.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Albeit the booze thermos that turns into a shotgun was pretty rad, the sets (to me) all seemed to be faceless, cavernous sections of generic spaceship.

But Geiger is the star. There is no artist like him, Geiger's art is unmistakable and totally original. Fun fact: James Cameron designed the alien queen, not Geiger. I want to go to Switzerland specifically to see his bars.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That didn't annoy me until the director's/final cut version with the robot sentinels. They show the same three aliens getting annihilated twenty times. I GET it. You need to sell DVDs.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don't forget they also gave us "aliens swimming" for the first time.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean the fourth film was just way too mainstream as far as action movies at the time. Joss Whedon claims the director complete changed the tone of his script with the execution you saw. Whedon wanted it more like his later work Firefly.

10. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hope everyone has a good mother's day and appreciates the day and their family.

I will be drinking this afternoon, or who knows, morning drinking sounds decent, maybe I'll wait till 11 to start.

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The clerk made me stand and wait for 15 minutes before she would let me buy my beer, I'll never understand blue laws.

12. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently in Minneapolis you plan ahead or drive 20 minutes to Wisconsin

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to post this in the serious thread, but it's probably more of a drunk thread video.

I don't understand how people like this can be so lacking in self awareness they make these videos and don't realize it's them that looks like a jackass. I love how the guy just stares at her while she has the break down in the parking lot. The employees got placed on leave. Sigh.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Sorry random check in, but thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Fluid has started to drain back down normally, they think maybe it was a cyst from the concussions that went away. That can happen sometimes. And sometimes, when the pressure builds up, in certain areas of the brain because of the fluid, you start acting crazy. I now completely understand why former football players kill themselves. It drives you literally insane when your body is failing in front of you and you don't know why. Fortunately, it's looking like I'm a little better now. It's still gonna suck for a bit, but there's a path outta here. I'll take that.

Unfortunately, I got better just in time to help write a eulogy for my grandfather who is now on end of life care. But we're having some fun with it. Him and I were always the two who made the "too soon" jokes in the family. There's a cemetery on the property and while I was recovering from brain surgery, he was fighting parkinson's. So we both had to rehab with walking. We'd walk to the cemetery and back, laughing the whole way saying "I beat you to the grave." And at the time, I didn't know whether I was gonna live or die, and he didn't either (this was almost 10 years ago), so the joke was funny because it had such immediate truth behind it. And then we'd laugh and drink a beer when his wife and my mother weren't watching because that's how alcoholism starts!

What's especially funny is -- brief back story -- him and I had the same brain surgeon. In the early 2000's he had brain surgery to install something called a "shunt" which drains fluid from the brain when it doesn't circulate naturally. Same crap I was dealing with a week ago basically. When I was at the hospital for my brain tumor, during all that commotion of doctors coming in and out and nurses running IVs and brain scans and beeping computers all that shit, my grandfather comes in (he'd learned of my decision on surgeons prior to his arrival) and instead of doing the standard greeting for me -- which was, at that time, bawling your eyes out -- my grandfather said "Damn Sam now we get to be shunt brothers!!" And it was too soon for the rest of my family, because at that time my brain surgeon was talking about taking basically a surgical drill and creating a hole in my head to release the fluid, and then installing the shunt. So yeah, open brain surgery was gonna happen. And this old motherfucker mocked me about it!!

Accordingly, I'm getting him back. I already have approval for the opening eulogy line "Paw and I have the privilege of having the same man inside of both of us."

Oh, and the other surgeon I had to chose from? I had two choices based upon their availability. It was basically a toss up, like you want strong offense or strong defense? The one I didn't pick, he shot himself in the face a few years later. Turns out, he had a brain tumor.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

And regarding the ducks, sorry double post, their numbers are dwindling due to hawk attacks. However, I got my geese in on Monday and they are now 6 days old today.

They just shit all over my sister and my pregnant wife laughed so hard at the sight that she peed all over herself, down her legs and I had to get her a towel.

After I shot the hose at her. Because that fucker isn't gonna track piss on my floors damnit!!!

So yes, the geese are great and the ducks will be eliminated by nature in due time.

16. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This is what happens when everyone gets a participation trophy and told how great and special they are for there whole life and then enter the real world. We are not doing our children any favours by keeping this up. Children need to be taught how to be good losers because they will lose a whole hell of a lot more than they will win in their life.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That bitch is a retarded attention whore in need of lithium. There should be a law against letting her reproduce.

18. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

To answer several reps at once, yes, it does look like I will be fine for now. Like water in a bathtub, the fluid in my head just has to drain now. Except the only drain-o, liquid plumber solution, is time.

Not to get too political in the wdt, but from the last time I visited my brain surgeon, I was not, in fact, allowed to "keep [my] doctor." I am fortunate to be of the capability to pay out of pocket for him, which I am now having to do. However, there is a financial limit on how often I can see him. I hope this insurance mess gets turned around before then.

In the meantime, I'm working on a backup trade in case my brain does truly give out at some point. Trying to teach myself blacksmithing. I already taught myself welding, and practice makes perfect over the years, but I want the safety net of knowing I have a skill to provide for my family.

Like an insurance policy. Except I can keep it, no matter what.

20. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Dear RotN,

Hanging around the forge is a bad idea for a dude that falls over too much. Literally everything in a smith shop can kill you.

Please consider birdwatching, or philately. Meanwhile, I am pleased to hear that your pressure subsides. Take better care of your head man.

Regards,

Improper

#80 Improper, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.