Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2017 Thanksgiving WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don't we all... it's funny how that works when you just noodle around every now and then remembering the "good old days".

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Does it have a locking nut? I've never had a problem with keeping a FR in tune.

And 12's? Dude...ouch. That's what I use on acoustics. I use 10's on my electrics.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... locking nut, and full floating bridge... if you go nuts on the whammy with lighter strings, the bridge gets a bit out of whack and it goes a bit out of tune, especially noticeable with harmonics. It's because the springs pulling the bridge back to centre were a bit weak, because of the 10's I usually use. By putting 12's on it I could load in a couple more springs, and it was much stronger and better at finding it's centre again when released. Tried everything, but only the stronger springs and strings really worked.

Definitely makes it more of a positive playing experience, not as "soft", but it works.

One of my other fun guitars is an old Kramer Sustainer that I bought when I really got into Pink Floyd in the late 80's... that thing eats 9 volt batteries like crazy, but holy shit it practically plays itself.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

One of my buddies bought a Kramer back in the 80's and a 4x12 stack (I don't remember the brand, but it's what Pink Floyd used.) He had no idea how to play...I mean no idea, but he wanted to learn. He still does. Anyways, I loved playing that Kramer through his stack....it had the total Eddie Van Halen sound. Much more then my Les Paul through a Marshall, it was just a kick to do Eddie riffs on that set up.

Do you remember when Ernie Ball (I think) made the hybrid slinky strings? 48's on the bottom end and 9's on the top end. Best of both worlds right?

Meh. Not so much. I tried them and kept pulling notes on the high end when playing chords without meaning to.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My local guitar shop would let you mix and match individual strings... it was pretty cool. They included everything from huge NickelRockers to Da'Darrios. It was almost too many options.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I'm weird...I like old strings. New strings and their bright sound just don't work for me. I'll play strings until they're so gummed up that they're gross. Then I'll clean them a bit and keep using them. I've never met anyone else who likes old strings, somehow I make the sound from them work for me. It's just a bit duller and thicker.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've always found it hard to find strings that wouldn't rust out from under me... I guess I have really acidic sweat or something.

My go-to strings were always GHS Boomers... and then they came out with the "semi-coated" versions that supposedly protected against sweat, and it seemed to work for me, so I bought a case of them about 10 years ago. I think I still have more than half a case left. I really doubt I'll have to buy strings ever again for as long as I live.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I use D'Addarios for no other reason then they're cheap and so am I.

Some more Killer Malcolm guitar work:

9. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Been working on learning the guitar off and on for a year now. One of the first rhythm guitar parts I learned was Highway to Hell and it is still fun to play along. People blast AC/DC because "all their songs sound the same", but how many times do you find yourself singing along while playing air guitar? It's even more fun to play along with their songs. I regret not trying to see them live, especially at Wrigley.

Side note: I saw Green Day at Wrigley and that was a helluva show.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

After a 3 hour flight to LA with two kids my wife and I needed to mainline a beer for the next leg (flight anxiety good excuse to temporarily breach sobriety with a jackhammer). Ended up drinking with Jason Momoa who made fun of my “Dad Bod” T-shirt and the fact I was pushing a double wide stroller looking like I wanted to kill myself.

The entire bar wanted to kill us and asked us questions about him after he they left. Whatever. I still think Justic League is shit. Super nice guy though.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean I don't pretend to be the life of the party but I brought the house down with the new jalapeño Doritos and French onion dip.

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Random question, but for the other aggressive home cooks out there, what's the best way to get caked on grease off of an oven glass? I don't need one of these "all natural" home remedies. If it means I might get cancer spraying some industrial shit on it to clean it, than so be it.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Soak in dish soap and baking soda. Keep using baking soda until it all lifts off.

14. BadBrains

BadBrains
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I like them, but it depends on acoustic or electric, really. On my electric I'm the same way, mostly because I don't really play a hell of a lot of straight clean licks. Acoutic, new strings sound so bright and awesome I'll change them every few months.

15. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

For acoustic the (relatively) new Martin Monel "Retro" bluegrass strings (mostly nickel but alloyed a little bit) sound spectacular. Really nice even tone across the entire range.

I've tried just about every other kind of strings out there from El cheapos to the "nanoweb-coated" $17 Elixirs. Before the Martin Retros my favorites were the standard issue D'addario reds. Lasted the same as the expensive strings for me and the tone wore in better.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have never seen a mess that a good soak in those nasty oven cleaners wouldn't clean up. Nothing special, just the standard Easy-Off.

I've cleaned a lot of nasty ovens, and if you just coat the surfaces and close it up for 10 minutes, most of it just wipes off. If you get one layer and there's another underneath, repeat the process.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You had some decent recommendations. WD40 sprayed on a light scouring pad will take it off too, but if you have something that smells better use it first.

Hang loose:

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pshaw... if you're going to go WD40, don't be a pussy about it... Brake Clean will get it nicely degreased in no time.

19. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So... what I've gathered is to spray it down with industrial engine degreaser and turn the broiler on high. Got it.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Or Mon-O-Lube. Takes the rust off slitting blades like nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.