Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association: 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be fair, the main reason no one cares about it is because the superstars refuse to be a part of it.

As for the athleticism of MJ's opponents, don't sleep on Drexler, Wilkins, Miller, Magic, young Grant Hill, and even John Starks.

2. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think that would change it. I agree that there would be a marginal improvement (although would there? Are the best players the best dunkers?), but the real issue with the dunk contest is that we reached Peak Dunk at some point around 2003. At this point, we have come pretty close to reaching the limit of how many ways a human being can dunk a basketball.

When Jordan was in it, everything was impressive, because nothing had really been tried yet. So free throw line dunks were awesome. Today? Been there, done that, no one cares. The dunks that Jordan, Nique, etc. were doing would be losing dunks today, but we haven't really progressed since Vince Carter and Steve Francis. This year's winner basically did knock offs of Vince's dunks. The limit isn't the athletes; it's that everyone is out of ideas.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The point is, everyone wants LeBron to participate. He should just do it. It's 30 minutes of his life. But he's scared, that he might lose, because there isn't any other risk. Yes, Vince Carter pretty much ended it creative wise, but even though it was shameless promotion, Blake Griffin could still have fun with it. Just give the people what they want, give the people what they need. To take your question about the best players being the best dunkers (I'd say no), I don't think people want to see the best dunkers. They want the All-Stars in the Dunk Contest. They don't want scrubs showing up to the All-Star contest just because they're the best dunkers. We want the All-Stars that can dunk, to go against each other. What it was before.

When Jordan/Kobe was in it, it wasn't the best dunkers who happened to be coming off the bench. They were the All-Stars, who dunked, then played the next day. Think if Bird or Ray Allen NEVER entered the 3 point contest, then in practice you saw all they did was the exact same thing as the 3 point contest, but didn't want to do it. It would be insane.

4. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe he's just lazy. Who gives a fuck.

5. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Who cares if Lebron enters the dunk contest? I'm pretty sure it's more important that we have Brandon Knight involved in as many all-star festivities as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On that note, Irving is likely done for the year with a shoulder injury. Three to four weeks, and why would they bother bringing him back after that?

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't stop watching this that.

In other news, as I mentioned before. Derrick Rose once again managed expectations on his return by tossing in now that he's not going to play until his hamstring is ready. Some of my friends are finally coming around to what I told them 1.5 months ago that he wasn't coming back this season. This is another nail in the coffin. I'm not mad at them slowing down this season and going for a higher draft pick. We need it, if we tanked I'd be happy. We can't make a move free-agency wise. We can't make any trades that would make sense for both sides. We need to draft a sleeper, a steal, something for a second scoring option. People keep saying Boozer, but he's an okay third option. If you look at his advanced basketball metrics, his efficiency is terrible and his defense is sad. Like it emotionally impacts me in a negative way.

8. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Agreed. Whenever one of my friends say Rose is being selective with his return date I simply point out Howard and Rubio as examples of coming back too soon and slowing your team down as a result.

Also, while we're on the subject of Boozer's defense....

<a class="postlink" href="http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/11/the-extra-pass-how-the-lakers-took-advantage-of-carlos-boozers-defense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... s-defense/</a>

9. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

The Wolves have so many injuries they were fucked with or without Rubio. This season is lost, so I'd rather him play himself back into shape and continue maturing as a player now rather than wait until next season.

10. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Oh Ricky.

#210 FreeCorps, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Boozer's defense is infuriating because there is no reason to continue being so bad given his physical talents, surrounding cast, and years of experience. It's not that I expect him to be good per se, but being THIS bad is a lack of attentiveness and/or concern. "Just be on the low end of adequate" is a perfectly reasonable expectation at this point in his career, and he consistently fails to meet it. Also, this year, he's actually been fairly uninspiring offensively and in rebounding.

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am now officially okay with the Bulls tanking for a high draft pick. Perfectly okay with it. As long as they try to beat the Heat, I'll allow them to lose to everyone else, well maybe also give Indiana some shit, but not too much shit.

13. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Boozer also has an amazing defensive coach, as well as the help of my frontrunner for DPOY. Even if we assume that defense is a skill, there's no reason he can't be better.

14. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like Kobe will have to change his nickname to KB2014.

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it was hilarious that who did ESPN have to discuss whether or not Dahntay Jones purposefully left his foot under Kobe? Mr. "Let me leave my foot right where you are about to land" himself, Bruce Bowen. And then of course they say that it was just because Bowen was always "closer" to them when they shot because of good defense. Give me a fucking break. Dude had a less than stellar reputation in the league and it wasn't just because he was a good defender. He made some good points about how refs review film after and whatnot, but it was all kind of ironic coming from him.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless Thibs and the Chicago Bulls have Michael Jordan from 96, a healthy Derrick Rose and a healthy Noah...I'm going to be watching the Miami Heat get their 28th win tonight. The only good part about this is I'll be doing it from a first level box seat. So hate me, I'll wait.

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice prognostication bro!

Line of the night, after Heinrich yanked the ball out of Bosh's hands and in the process tossed him to the ground, Stacey King yell.."Get in the weight room son!"

Huge game from my boy Jimmy Butler as well

"This is a poster right here. Chris Bosh, welcome to Jimmy Butler's House"

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pro reverse jinx I pulled right there. My hands hurt from clapping. I can't even process how great this game was. I can't wait to go talk shit to the Miami fan in my office.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

20. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who else do I know that uses that exact same phrase?