Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association: 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Avery Johnson - NBE Eastern Conf coach of the month for Oct & Nov '12

Fired in December.

2. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

JR don't hurt them.

#142 MoreCowbell, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tonight will be a great night of Basketball. Bulls - Heat, then Lob City - Lakers. I swear to god though, If Tom Thibodeau doesn't get coach of the year this year, I don't know who should. He doesn't have half of the pieces, but has Nate Robinson, Carlos Boozer, and Joakim Noah playing out of their minds. I can't believe they're in third place.

4. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

So I was clearly wrong about the Lakers, maybe even more wrong than most (since I was more bullish). I was too optimistic about Dwight's ability to be 100%, didn't really pay attention to the redundancies created by Pau and Dwight, and didn't really think about how goddamn awful their bench is. Especially for an old team, that's not a recipe for success. I now fully expect them to lose in 5 games in the first round...

Parker - I found a really good article about Thibs' D against the Heat, when I find it again I'll link it here.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't have any serious commentary to provide about either of the games last night as I was quickly sauced and the host kept going back to the stupid football game. But, that game last night was absolutely ridiculous for the Bulls to win on the road in Miami. I'd love to see that article because what they were pulling off was insane. And I think its funny that Miami wants to play small ball, then has Nate Robinson fuck them in the ass. I. Loved. It.

So if I was casually going to have a second favorite team it is definitely the Lakers because of Kobe. I'm not jumping to Lob City but holy fuck Chris Paul would be the best player in the league if he was bigger. If he gets a rebound ever from a stray bounce or something, that is a monster. Actually that's exactly what I said quietly to myself before the first lob to DeAndre Jordan that they didn't replay fast enough. They are so goddamn fun to watch because you know something filthy could happen any given play. The Kobe dunk was also fucking sick and unexpected. I'm not even sure he wanted the points, he just needed to get that "Fuck You" out his system. Dwight looked pretty fucking good though. I was watching that game and thought he was moving better than he was at the beginning of the year for sure. I haven't seen any crazy hop moves, or the doomed "He now has to crouch to jump" signs but wow. Just wow.

6. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Here's the article I was talking about:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nba.com/heat/news_recap/when-chicago-cut-corner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nba.com/heat/news_recap/when ... cut-corner</a>

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey 'Sack, your wife tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios.

8. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have now subscribed fully to the Heat/Popovich philosophy.

If the players and coaches dont give a shit about the regular season, why should I?

See you in May.

9. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Random question:

Harden or Westbrook, in a vaccum?

Go.

10. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great question. In a vacuum is tough.

Harden. I think he can play better with others than Westbrook does.

If Westbrook would be OK with being a #2, he would be a better compliment.

11. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of hijacked Seattle players, it looks like the Kings have been sold and will be moved to Seattle.

12. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a vacuum, Harden and I don't even think it's a very difficult choice. If I have a player to complement, it gets tough.

"THEY STOLE OUR FRANCHISE, NOW GIMME!"

13. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Well this is boring.

I probably take Harden too, with the knowledge that Westbrook has a higher physical ceiling but isn't as effective of a player.

Fun fact: James Harden has a 6'11 wingspan, and had a higher vert than Westbrook at predraft camps. I assume it's because they only measure standing/one-step jump.

14. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This question would have been interesting had it been asked in, say, March or even July. The problem is that now Harden has demonstrated that he can capably be The Man. That Houston squad is kind of an island of misfit toys, and yet it's the most prolific offense in the league and almost a lock for the playoffs. He's a legitimate MVP contender this year (albeit not a leading one).

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Harden. Westbrook gives off those weird moody vibes. You won't get those cool dunks, but you're usually not looking for those from your PG.

16. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

And by that you mean not make the playoffs? Because that's where they are heading.

I live in LA now so it's hilarious to hear the sports talk show hosts trying to convince themselves that the Lakers are still title contenders this year.

I also wonder about D'Antoni, because after what Woodson has done with the Knicks and this performance he is having with the lakers his stock is going down quickly. There are mitigating factors with both teams when we we coaching so it is hard to separate blame but still doesn't look great for him.

And with Chris Paul, you really have to be there in person to appreciate how good he is. If he wanted to score 30 a game he could with ease. He can get to the basket at will, just has unreal control of the ball. I would say pretty close to Durant for second best player in the league.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Luol Deng just told Carmelo Anthony his wife tastes like Garrett's Chicagomix Popcorn. Beasting by 20, I love it.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Spurs just signed this guy from Europe.

Aron Baynes. 6'11" of pure Aussie redneck strength. Could get interesting if he skills translate.

#158 Revengeofthenerds, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

More Dwight Howard drama!

Lord I'm having fun watching the Lakers crash and burn, especially with that petulant asshole at center.

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ballsack throws around the word petulant a lot, recently about Aaron Rodgers - it doesn't fit, but wow, Dwight Howard actually might be textbook definition of petulant at this point. If that All-Star game story has any merit, that's some bitch shit.