Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association 2012

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Parker, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, there is basketball on ESPN2 right now. Brazil has been leading the entire time, Nene has been meanmugging Melo the entire game. But I just saw LeBron post up, pass to Kobe, Kobe miss, run out tip the rebound to LeBron, who passed it back to Kobe who alley-ooped it to Durant for a dunk. I just came.

2. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe he will improve, but in this game against Brazil, USA would be doing a lot better without Kobe. He is 3-10 from the field with several awful-looking turnovers.

LeBron, Durant, and Paul are all unquestionably better offensive options than him.

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The USA players appear to think they are better shooters than they are.

4. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So the Nets gave him a 2-year deal for more per year. How hard is he going to get booed by Brooklyn fans as the guy that (allegedly) kept them from getting Dwight Howard?

Side note, the only member of Brooklyn's starting five that doesn't have a notably terrible contract just signed a max deal.

5. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Humphries is an odd case. Every Nets game I've watched, I tend to forget that he's even there. Then you look up his stats one day, and holy shit, this guy has been averaging a double double for the last two years? And for his career, if you look at per 36 minutes. There's a disconnect somewhere between how good he seems statistically and what the eye test is telling me.

I didn't think it was possible, but I am somehow equally as Lin-fatigued as I was in March.

6. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You have to factor in that most of any Nets game is "garbage time". It's easy to put up stats when youre playing most of the 2nd half against a teams 3rd string.

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So in the discussion of the potential Howard to the Lakers trade, I was talking to a friend of mine who is a huge Cavs fan and he called Bynum a "bona-fide superstar". I thought that was incredibly rash. He's still very young and has a huge ceiling, but I think for a guy who has battled injury problems and has averaged over 15 once in his career, that label is a bit premature. Either way, if the Cavs could pair him with Irving, thats a really nice core to build on.

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: The Association 2012

Read that this morning too, what a dick, also read a few days ago that he was actually healthy enough to play at the end of the season but refused because he didn't want to get exposed as a mediocre player against top talent and lose his payday.

But if your him that might have been the way to go, man got paid didn't he?

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

'Sack just hates minorities that make money. Have you been to Houston? Have you been to New York? Have you seen the differences in women? Yeah, I would rather be in NYC also, and I hate NYC. Plus he would have played with Amar'e and Melo. Better than playing with...uh...fuck...who is on the Rockets still? Yeah, I don't know either.

Bynum is not a star yet. The guy needs to play games without having such an attitude. Dwight Howard put up those same numbers consistently without having feeling, emotion, hating his coach or caring for his team. Bynum has a high and a low, stars don't. They're consistent all the time unless they get specifically shut down by a defense or are injured. You can't be a start when you haven't made it through a majority of a season yet.

10. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: The Association 2012

I'm not gonna bother arguing with Sack cause he's been bringing angry fire on this thread lately. But I think its being taken a bit out of context. I love my current coworkers and my company, but if another company is going to pay me, say 50% more and my current company wont match, then yeah I'm gonna leave, but I would have preferred to stay. That doesn't make me an ungrateful bastard. He had an awesome time with the Knicks, became a cult hero, and was able to break into the league after struggling a few years, give the dude a break without nitpicking the phrasing.

Oh and this?

You drive a BMW because you got paid your worth for doing your job. Don't be a hypocrite.

11. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The weird thing about that comment to me was who says that when moving to a new city? You haven't even arrived in town, and you've already insulted the Houston fan base.

There are a million ways he could have worded that would not have been backhanded slights at his new team (i.e. "I would have loved to stay in New York" or "I tried to reach an agreement with the Knicks" or "I've enjoyed my time in New York and was definitely interested in staying...").

OK, this is true, but if you walked into your new office and on day 1 announced that you would have preferred to be working at your old job, wouldn't it seem a bit uncouth?

12. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You make a good point. I don't think the comment itself was smart or PR polished. But at the worst I think it was too honest. I don't think it was entitled or malicious. People are making it out to sound like when Sprewell said $8mm a year wasn't enough to feed his kids.

13. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with Wags. The Knicks are a better team, but the Rockets are a better franchise.

Plus, he played for Houston. He knows what it's like.

How many times do you think that Lin, as a Knick, was greeted by a fan with: "Hey...you that oriental boy, aint ya? Woowee...i never seen me a live Chinaman before. Go on...say something chinky"

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, it wouldn't. Pretty sure he was doing his PR job on his way out so New Yorkers wouldn't hate him. Don't forget Houston is the team that waived him in the first place. He was just working this contract so New York would pay him more and it backfired. For all the money he made NYC last year, saved their playoff chances, helped MSG's stock prices skyrocket AND became a negotiating chip in their TV network contract with Time Warner, he made just over 700k. If you were getting paid 50k a year, but your company made 100m off you, you'd do something similar.

15. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Off-topic, but this might be the most audacious in-game dunk I've ever seen.

And I've seen a lot.

Euro step writ large.

#975 Nom Chompsky, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another interesting point is that any bad contract the Cleveland takes on as part of the deal would still be the best player the Cavs have at their position*. Turkoglu, Richardson, and Big Baby would all be the second-best player on the Cavs' current roster.

*except Chris Duhon. Fuck him.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a hunch they start MWP.

18. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know he was bitching about having to go to Houston, right?

He shouldnt have signed the offer sheet. The Knicks called his bruff.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah he's not bitching about the money, he's bitching about the situation. He tried to make a play and it failed. If you're going to be a racist hateful fuck, at least be funny about it.

Though, it is a better situation for him. Melo and Amar'e would have thrown him under the bus if anything went wrong, bitching about touches and what not. Completely ignoring the fact neither of them can (or are willing to) play a lick of defense. The real loser here is Tyson Chandler, who won't be getting that juicy pick and roll action he was getting with Lin.

20. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Better long term, but not better short term.

Rockets are a better franchise, but who can name any of their other players? Yao? Scola? Pippen? Barkley? I think even Buddinger is gone.