Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association 2012

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Parker, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jamison can't play the 3 anymore. They'll probably try to use him like Odom with a three man big rotation. This is going to be a team that gives up a lot of points with Gasol at center.

2. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, over Jamison. Neither is a great player on the offensive end, so Jamison's edge there is only slight. Artest has a sizable advantage on defense, and the Lakers coaching staff seemed to indicate via their lineups last year (repeatedly starting MWP over Matt Barnes) that they place high value on Artest's defensive contributions and physicality.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jamison has a huge edge over Artest, he hasn't scored less than 15 points in the last 5 years. He averages 18. That's huge. Yeah its been on shitty teams, but he can score.

4. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jamison is a nice pickup, but he scored 15ppg as the #1 option on a shitty team. Where are his shots gonna come from? Rebounds and fast breaks?

Can he spot up on the outside and hit the open shot?

Will be interesting.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could give a fuck less about Jamison, but a lot of his points come from cuts to the rim. He has better ball handling skills than Artest and I'm sure can finish a few of those off. He'll bring lower PPG to the team, but that's more than Artest has done. That's all I gotta say about that.

I am going to be on the Laker's Bandwagon this year, as the Bulls gave away their entire Bench Mob and brought in nothing to be excited about. Radmonovich? If that's not how you spell his name, ask me if I give a fuck. There was talk about Darko. MOTHERFUCKING DARKO! *Breaks down into wordless sobs*

6. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Heat will sign Darko, remember where you heard it first.

That will give them 4 of the top 5 picks in the draft that year.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless the Bulls pull off some crazy shit next year, we're going to be a middle of the road team which fucking sucks. We can't win with our negative bench unless Marcus Teague and Kirk Hinrich channel the power of Jordan and Pippen. Or Noah becomes some offensive beast. Which won't happen. Hopefully they tank so they can get a high draft pick. We need more scoring with a touch of defense. Boozer can't cut it, Rip Hamilton is a smidge better than Keith Bogans, but can't guard anyone.

8. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should be bitching about Dolan and his undiagnosed personality disorder. You own a team in New York City, the rule is, you pay your star player whatever the fuck he wants. ESPECIALLY if he can sell jerseys in motherfucking CHINA.

Can't believe this hasn't been linked, but maybe I'm just bad at reading.

What happened (pure speculation here) is that Dolan thought he could cheap out on his pet ATM and everything would be A-OK and Lin would just take it. And Lin said, "Fuck that shit." And you know what? Good for him. Fuck that shit indeed.

9. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, this is a pretty good article, which is surprising, because quality writing on Grantland is as rare as finding pandas outside of Asia. I guess Bill Barnwell and Jay Caspian Kang slipped through the cracks.

Anywho, is anyone outside of ballsack really giving Lin shit for his decision or statements? Of course he wanted to stay in New York, but he went out and made the best deal for himself, as anyone should. It's funny; Lin is probably one of the best and most decent professional athletes one will ever come across. But nowadays, you can be a good person who gives honest answers, and a sizable portion of people on the Internet will still call you an "asshole".

10. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think he did what he figured would benefit him in the long term, why people are calling him out I don't know, if any of us had the same situation why not take the money?

11. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I've come to realize that once you know something about the sport being discussed, Grantland can be very hit-or-miss. Speaking of people giving Lin shit, can't find it at the moment, but the comments on Lin's Facebook post announcing the move have been hilarious yet sad in their ignorance and blind delusion. Even for homerism, it's just pathetic. I'll keep Googling, but if anyone else has a screenshot, please post it.

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most of Grantland's writers are super young guys no one knows a ton about pulled from New York or L.A. with the exception of Chuck, Bill Barnwell, and Simmon's himself. Everyone else just has a unique take on what they're writing about. Even though they have slowed on the content they pump out every day, that website has definitely made life at work 10x better. Also, you two must not read Sebastian Pruiti's play breakdowns, I haven't see anyone else on the internet consistently break down why certain plays worked and how they were supposed to work. Its brilliant and simple writing. Especially when it comes to basketball, because everyone just says things like "He beat him off the dribble" or "got a screen" this base line stuff.

13. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, they've got some great stuff. Brian Phillips for example - fantastic soccer writer and really knows his shit. All their pop-culture meta shit can go jump off a cliff though.

14. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sebastian Pruiti is indeed excellent. Forgot about him.

However, for every young guy like Sebastian Pruiti, there are 20 fucking morons fresh out of college who can't write to save their lives and have nothing insightful or funny to say. Like this blithering, dishonest idiocy from someone who knows nothing about the sport. Or anything they have on pop culture, like this confusing mess of barely coherent thoughts.

As for Chuck Klosterman, does anyone here seriously like that guy's writing? He is a typical stoner who greatly over-exaggerates his own insight; his thoughts probably seem like Earth-shattering revelations when one is high, but sober? Pretty basic and dull.

The premise for the site was a good one, and they have a few good writers. (Simmons, Barnwell, Kang, and Pruiti) Unfortunately, the quality is buried underneath so much shit I don't bother with the site most times.

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It took you almost 2 days to think of that? Anyways, I think you serve a more important role; reminding us every day that lawyers are balding, racist, crackhead, hairbrush ass-rapists.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As great as the exchange just was, I think we need a group therapy session for Bull's fans righr now (me). Kyle Korver, CJ Watson, Omer Asik, John Lucas the Third, and unless Ronnie Brewer takes less money, he's gone also. Now Nazr Mohammad is getting talked about, I'm sorry, I've never seen this guy on national TV. I have no idea what the fuck Jerry Reinsdorf is doing, but it is negatively impacting my health. The Bulls are going to suck and blow the first half against any team with a competent coach and decent players. *runs off to cry more*

17. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To me, it just screams "Lost Season" with Rose out at least half the year.

Could they be just clearing cap space for free agents in 2013?

18. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

And that's the last time I was allowed to advocate for myself in traffic court.

Anyway, Lin is only a golden ticket (golden child?) if he's good, and starting. Merchandise is split among all the teams, so really what matters is gate/concession/media sales. None of that is really going to change much if Lin is a middling back up.

Now, is there a chance Lin really is a solid starter? Quite possibly, and if Dolan or his basketball people dropped the ball on that, then he totally fucked up. But let's not say that simply having a decent Chinese player is a license to print money, because nobody is lining up to see Yi Jianlian.

Re: Grantland...it's hard for me to deal with people who write with no trace of humility on things that are obviously out of their depths. Whenever Bill goes into VP of Common Sense mode or Chuck goes into This is the Most Interesting Important Connection Mode...I kinda go glassy eyed.

19. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Just because I know it's going to make Parker well up a little bit --

(I know he's actually pretty nice, but I will never be able to hear Goran's name without thinking, WHAT ARE YOU DOING DRAGIC??)

I love everything about this dunk. Dragic going for the block, the Rose cock back, the call..

#999 Nom Chompsky, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stacey King has ruined color commentary for me. He is so biased it isn't even funny. Especially when you get calls like that. It takes like 10 minutes into a national broadcast to realize get back used to it. If a Bull's game is broadcast on ESPN or TNT I get mad at the announcers like "WHO'S FUCKING SIDE ARE YOU GUYS ON!?!?! Oh right, you're not being biased in my favor, that's cool...I guess." But most of the time, CSN is doing a simultaneous-broadcast so I can get my Stacey King on.

Thanks for that Nom, but this will actually depress me in the long term as I will remember how Derrick Rose injured himself, how I was 50 feet away, and how we are in fact looking at a lost 2012-2013 season. I hope they're clearing cap space and preparing for something major. Only downside is Dwight Howard WILL NOT sign in Chicago under any circumstance even though it would be a great idea. I'll be damned if he doesn't stay in L.A.

While watching the Bulls out of loyalty and the development of Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson, I'm going to jump on the Lakers wagon, while also whole-heartedly supporting OKC. That's my basketball plan to make this year okay.