Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association 2012

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Parker, Dec 25, 2011.

1. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Parker-
    You say that next season is for watching the development of Taj...but what more is there to develop? A mid-range jumper? I just don't see how he can be more than a Joakim Noah clone at the 4. That being said, I will watch him posterize Wade every day of the week.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well he has a better jump shot then Noah, better dunker and athlete. I'm more thinking along the lines of mindset and basketball IQ. He could also learn some more post-up moves. Be a better version of Carlos Boozer is what I'm hoping for. And for the record, I'm reaching for the light of hope here. There are people telling me I should be super excited about Jimmy Butler, but I just don't know about that.

3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is this really the case? It sounds very counter-intuitive. However, if true, it completely alters the way I view the NBA.

Completely agree. However, these are actually two of Grantland's better writers.

The vast majority of their articles are written by those trying to impersonate Simmons, Klosterman, et al with their styles...with even less talent, humor, and writing ability.

4. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I actually can't find an in-depth article about the mechanics of it, but this espn article casually mentions it in graf 7:

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8179984/nba-jeremy-lin-six-degrees-separation-financials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81799 ... financials</a>

5. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks. However, like you said above, I would have liked a more in-depth examination of this.

While merchandising revenue might be shared, I highly doubt it's split 30 ways in a completely even, equal manner. Most likely, the team whose jersey is sold gets a much higher percentage.

6. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

...Yeeeeah...we're fucked...

Apparently Reinsdorf's plan is to coast through this year(read: throw in the fucking towel) so he can make one or two insanely big moves when Rose is healthy. All the "talent" they've been signing have deals that expire at 2014 or before. Why you would blow up a team that has had the best record in basketball for the last two years AND the best bench in the league is beyond me...actually, no, its not. I know exactly why they doing this: Because Jerry is a cheap prick and is terrified of going over the luxury tax for the first time ever. Never mind the fact that they've been selling out stadiums for 20 years and had this Jordan character I keep hearing about that evidently was pretty good. Time to break out the Scotch of Downheartedness...

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh no, not just any bench, a bench that had a brand name associated to it. Can anyone tell me another team that had a bench with a brand name like the Bench Mob? I mean come on. We gave away 5 pieces, and our Miami killer JL3. Absolutely fucking ridiculous. I can't even process this logically. I just...I just...

8. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's like theyre lining up to make a push for a bigtime FA. But whom?

Besides Dwight Coward, who else is out there?

9. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

UFA: CP3, Bynum, Iggy, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Millsap, Manu, Monta Ellis, David West, RFA: Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, James Harden, Serge Ibaka.

In 2014: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki, Amar’e Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce, Danny Granger, Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph and Andrew Bogut.

Harden is the big Chicago target, I think.They might also take a swing at West, Smith, Millsap, Granger, and Zbo.

10. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of all those names on that list, how many are worth tanking an entire season? Maybe Bynum and Harden. Ibaka isnt going to cost that much that you would need to clear that much cap space. They dont need Paul, and the rest of those guys are on the downslope.

They should look at amnestying Boozer's contract next year. I think he has 3 years left.

(Factoring in that guys like Lebron and Kobe and Wade and Nowitzki arent going anywhere)

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chicago needs a two with range to go with Derrick Rose's drive/shot, drive/dish game. So this would be the best acquisition. Problem with that is that OKC has a ton of contract flexibility so one year Westbrook gets a huge pay, next year Durant, and then another year can be someone like Harden. So everyone is getting paid throughout their contract just not all in the same year so no cap issues. Don't quote me, but Sam Presti might be a genius. I just think the Bulls are fucked overall. Boozer is not who we want him to be.

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To quote Dennis Green: Boozer is who they thought he was.

They just paid him too much. Boozer and Joe Johnson and Bosh were/are not max contract guys. Neither is Brooke Lopez.

But desperation makes for some shitty decisions.

OKC's cap is staggered, but not enough to sign Harden and Ibaka. To me, Ibaka is more valuable because he will be cheaper and he anchors their defense. Harden is a nice player, but I smell a future Boozer overpayment.

Curry would be nice for the Bulls, but who would guessed a guy weighing 135# would have so many ankle injuries?

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know where you got that idea about OKC. Both KD and Westbrook have fairly standard increasing contracts. And contract restructuring is basically a non-entity in the NBA.

You may be thinking of Nick Collison. They paid him a whole shit ton of money up front in a long term deal to avoid him being a cap liability later.

I wouldn't rule out OKC amnestying Perkins (dude is making $9m a year) to retain Serge and Harden. Especially if PJIII develops. The ball might be in Harden's court there as far as money and being The Man versus being a championship contender in OKC.

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I might have pulled that out my ass. I think I heard someone talking something about staggering contracts, good link sir. Yeah, Harden will be an overpay. Boozer needs to be more consistent and fucking dunk the ball, I said WANT, not THOUGHT. I want to know how many points Boozer left on the table because he didn't jump and dunk. I'm going to say 100 points over the course of this last year (once again pulled out my ass).

Only this makes my outlook on basketball not suck as much.
    [​IMG]

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should probably toss in, that was created by Justin Halpern, the guy that started "Shit My Dad Says" twitter. He's actually a funny guy apparently. Too bad his show didn't make it.

16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At this point, I would absolutely love to see the Magic call Dwight Howard's bluff and dare him to walk away from ~$25 million. Even better if Mark Cuban realizes he's bidding against Houston, Cleveland and Atlanta and gives him a low-ball offer. Honestly, none of rumored deals have been any better than what they could probably get in a sign-and-trade next year anyway.

17. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder how his teammates and then the facts will react if Orlando keeps him for this year?

Id love to see the Magic keep him and make him inactive every game and then cut him the day after playoff rosters have to be set.

18. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'd rather they play him 40 a night and surround him with god awful players. Have fun playing 1 on 5 for the next year Dwight, can't wiat to use the cap room from your expiring deal.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bull's just picked up Nate Robinson. Seriously, fuck this shit. This isn't funny anymore.

20. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't care how hard they try for Thibs, we are watching the JV take on the varsity with this current crop. It might be bearable if there was second person to run this offense through and/or a PG to run it, but I don't see how da Boo can win 40 games. Maybe Reinsdorf can replace his try hard GM(Paxson) with a talented GM(Forman) that is actually empowered and not a talking head for dealing with the media. Talent on and off the court is what wins, not just effort