Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Boys season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, they named her after a neo-Nazi message board. Ironically she comes from Portland.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just a friendly reminder to those of you have yet to read the Garth Ennis comic: don’t, repeat, DO NOT start reading it until the show is over if you’re already into this. Don’t fucking ruin things, fight your curiosity to spoil it. There’s so much potential and things to come, especially with this show’s popularity.
    The comic is a full-on male Nazi character. Which was a direct play on the message board. After episode three, her character goes for irony ON TOP of irony.

Do we all agree that THIS is as “‘real” as TV/movies gets when it comes to anything about people with super powers? If they existed, this is how the ones bestowed they would act: greedy, abuse of fame, domineering, careless and destructive. Not to mention corporate. It would be a terrifying world to live in, and they actually demonstrate on this show what happens when you cross them at simply the wrong moment.

...All the things the comics never showed us as kids.

#22 Crown Royal, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Besides the hilarious running jokes of giving marine biologists night terrors, there also seems to be a hilarious one involving how many times per season they can cover Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan’s kid in body tissue. Let’s see: his girlfriend, Translucent, Jennifer Esposito, The Whale... Hughie has been sprayed with gore more often than the cast of True Blood, and so far and it’s only episode three this season.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The Deep's body issues that he begins to comes to terms with.... then Homelander pokes at the wound so offhandedly, so piercingly. I about died.

The Homelander scenes at his kid's house terrify me and cause me deep discomfort. He is the literal fears of domestic violence victims. He will never leave, you can't hide, your kid isn't safe, you are isolated, and he has complete power. Then he threw his kid off the roof and I'm yelling 'what the FUCK' at the TV.

Antony Starr is killing it but I'll never be able to enjoy him in a non psycho role.

God this show is well written and well cast.

5. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

As a diehard fan of You’re the Worst, I was stoked to see that Aya Cash is in the second season. I can’t wait to see what kind of trouble she causes.

I really wish they’d bring The Deep out of his spiral because I enjoyed him more when he was an asshole, but that probably says more about me than the show.

6. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What are the odds Butcher refers to her as a feminazi?

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dont think that is ironic, i think that was on purpose.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I didn't know the history of that name when I watched the episode but I definitely noticed that that apartment complex was full of black people getting blasted for no reason. Then she made the racist comment to the Asian guy she was really enjoying murdering and I was like oh, she's really racist. Later I learned about the comic book villain with that name and the message board and it all made sense.

It was quite the switch though. I thought she was going to be the cool, woke superhero from Portland. Not quite...

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, first 2 eps, i was really liking her. Then ep 3 happened.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well, yeah. It can be purposeful irony. Interesting that she's a psychopath in a completely different way than Homelander.

Massive spoilers below for anyone who hasn't read the comics:

Does anyone else think that Black Noir won't end up being Homelander's clone in the show? I just don't see it ending the same way (at least not yet). But I guess it would be a massive departure from the overall plot.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Don’t read unless you’ve read it:
    I don’t know. They’ve already destroyed the ENTIRE narrative and purpose of Butcher’s character: Becca was ALWAYS dead in the comic. This changes shit so much.

Id be surprised if they kept the Homelander Clone reveal. It is the shocking twist to end them all, but it’s been so spread around by assholes on social media so much since the show started I wouldn’t be surprised if a Butcher clone somehow turns out to be Black Noir at this point. Don’t forget Black Noir RAPES Hughie in “Herogasm”.

Whatever it maybe, SOMETHING has to be done with Black Noir’s reveal. It’s too huge to just throw in the trash.

12. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice little trick they pulled, giving her lightning powers. If you didn't know any better you'd think the name was a perfect fit and nothing else.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Episode 4 was exceptionally solid.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I swear to God, nobody who acted in “The Karate Kid” has aged since that movie was released in 1984. They HAD to have joined a Satanic cult. They say that Homelander’s powers slow his aging, what about real-life Elizabeth Shue?

Mother’s Milk is an awesome character with an awesome actor playing him. He always considers options, every angle is his concern. He was always the most likeable character in the comics, but the show runners exceeded themselves with both him and Homelander.

15. Smatek1001

Smatek1001
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'll grant you that she looks good for a woman in her early 50s, but she does look at least late 40s.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I really thought Homelander was going to blow himself.

17. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah, he thought about it there for sure

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Go see how Kelly Mcgillis aged. Bring bleach.

This show is probably the first post-Game Of Thrones show that seems to borrow from its influence of REALLY trying to get the viewers to care both about the characters AND their interactions. Tarantino did this with his early movies— you actually get drawn into these red herring side conversations that the characters have, rather than waiting for them to use lines that advance the plot.

Also, the actress playing Mallory (another make character made female for the show) is lowkey killing it. She doesn’t have to try hard or appear for long stretches to really make you feel her pain.

I’m also excited to see how far the Showrunners will try to take it. The comic makes “Blood Meridian” look like Sesame Street, and it doesn’t have the dreaded “TV-14” treatment they gave Preacher.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I was starting to think that The Female was not going to be as horrifying as her comic counterpart.

This episode solved that question. Yikes, that was sweet.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I don't know why there is criticism for this season, I'm really enjoying it. Mother's Milk is by far my favorite character. He always looks like he's seconds away from delivering an epic ass-kicking. The scene with Homelander lasering the protestors was really well done. The top-down view was pretty terrifying.