Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The F1 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Durbanite, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    That Perez is a wanker that cannot use his mirrors? Kind of. Massa always has horrible luck. Ricciardo did drive well, though. I was more angry that Vettel the cunt got 3rd. Bottas just seemed to fall away - Williams seem to do really well with fuel usage but not so great on the tyres. I knew Perez would do something stupid because he often does - I'm not sure how he keeps getting away with causing accidents. He's almost as bad as Maldonado imo. The replay will show that he moved his car towards Massa before the contact was made - Perez should get a penalty for the next race for causing an accident but I don't think it'll happen because it wasn't a Red Bull or Mercedes that got totalled. Button drove a steady race for 4th but driving steady is something he is very good at.

2. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Okay. So how many points has Massa lost? First race, fucked by Kamikaze, last race by Perez? Those are points lost.
    Agreed with your thoughts on Vettel, I've had enough of him, but was happy for Ricciardo.

3. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

He had the potential to do better at Monaco if Ericsson hasn't driven right into him at the end of qualifying. My guess would be around 30-40 points this season lost so far for Massa?

4. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That Perez is a wanker that cannot use his mirrors? Kind of. Massa always has horrible luck. Ricciardo did drive well, though. I was more angry that Vettel the cunt got 3rd. Bottas just seemed to fall away - Williams seem to do really well with fuel usage but not so great on the tyres. I knew Perez would do something stupid because he often does - I'm not sure how he keeps getting away with causing accidents. He's almost as bad as Maldonado imo. The replay will show that he moved his car towards Massa before the contact was made - Perez should get a penalty for the next race for causing an accident but I don't think it'll happen because it wasn't a Red Bull or Mercedes that got totalled. Button drove a steady race for 4th but driving steady is something he is very good at.[/quote]

Shouldn't Perez be allowed to defend his position? It was not like Massa was coming up to lap him. I kinda thought that Massa was trying an all or nothing move and was wrong in taking both of the cars out. If Massa had somehow made the corner, I think he would have taken Vettel out.

5. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Shouldn't Perez be allowed to defend his position? It was not like Massa was coming up to lap him. I kinda thought that Massa was trying an all or nothing move and was wrong in taking both of the cars out. If Massa had somehow made the corner, I think he would have taken Vettel out.[/quote]

I heard 5 spot penalty for Perez next race. I also heard there was a brake failure for Massa which is why he ran hot into that corner. I don't know but I've seen pics that Perez didn't stay on his racing line. I'm rooting for Williams this year and I think that both parties were at fault. Massa came on super quick, and although Perez could have avoided, Massa was being a bit of a madman. All in all, in this situatation, I blame Massa for not getting the points. Cooler heads prevail.

6. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How many times did Michael Schumacher run out of his racing line to defend a position? or Senna, Vettel, Hamilton. If the leaders are allowed to get away with it, so should all the drivers. I know that is not how it works in real life. I am happy to see the Force team running up front and I think that they should be allowed to be as aggressive in passing and defending their position as anyone.

7. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

In all fairness before I start in, I am rooting for Williams this year. You can defend your line, you can make 1 move to protect it, but the pictures show that Perez came off his line, and when Massa came in that fast, you don't have time to make two moves. BUT,,,,,,,,I kinda place the blame on Massa for not protecting the points. He didn't have to go into that corner hot, he could have take the points. That's what makes it racing though gents, they're going for it. I'm siding with Perez on this one, but the reason I was screaming at the TV was that I wanted Massa to finish in the top 5.

8. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Massa did go in kinda fast BUT Perez had already moved so a collision was inevitable. Perez *knew* his tyres were going off (they were around 30 laps old I think, since he had only stopped for tyres once) and he was probably also made aware of Williams' possible brake issues (the message came through via the radio from inside the pits so you know Force India knew because we all heard it too) yet Perez still chose to move in front of Massa to protect his position that late into the race? It was idiotic and cost both drivers the chance to get points for their teams.

For the record, I liked Michael in 1992-1993 as a driver but when he ran Damon Hill off the road to win the 1994 World Championship at the Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide, the final race of the season, that's when he lost me as a fan. He tried to do the same trick to Jacques Villeneuve at the last race in 1997 (might have been at Suzuka or maybe Estoril? I can't recall right now) but Schumacher DNF'd and Villeneuve rightfully got 3rd and the title. I'm pretty sure Hamilton hasn't done stuff like that. Sure, Senna did, but he mostly didn't have to due to having, for a large portion of his F1 career, one of the best cars around and Senna himself stopped driving in that way after 1992.

I have no time for Vettel and his nonsense, either. Any driver who is openly aggressive at keeping their position is basically asking for an accident, particularly with the narrow wings and DRS on the current cars. Hulkenberg isn't particularly aggressive yet he regularly keeps faster cars behind him and doesn't cause accidents, so it can't be that difficult to drive in a defensive manner and not overly offensively like his team-mate Perez often does (and has throughout his F1 career).

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Easy to say when you're watching it from your couch at home. Try competing yourself and then tell me how it's "nonsense".

I have the utmost respect for Vettel and his skill and passion. Is he pushing the boundaries of what is legal in order to win races? Yes. And I would expect nothing less from him. That's why he is where he is. All champions have that killer instinct, no exceptions. Hell, drivers like Max "The Axe" Angelelli, Dale "The Intimidator" Earnhardt, use(d) their aggressive nature to their advantage, so that they become a bit unpredictable and got in the head of their competitors.

If you want to lose a race, be a predictable driver, because once your behaviour can be predicted, you can be taken advantage of and set up (barring any technical disadvantages). It's the predictable drivers that you have no fear of passing on the inside, because you know what they're going to do. Unpredictable drivers, like novices, are given a wide berth, and the potential passing opportunities are reduced because you don't want to stick your nose in some of those scenarios... because they are unpredictable.

But really, that's why the FIA and Race Stewards are there, to keep things in check. It's like a hockey team... they're going to push the limits as much as they can to their advantage, until the refs start calling shit. It's the job of the drivers and teams to push the limits and do everything they can to win, as they should.

It's not a "gentleman's sport", it's a cutthroat business with huge money on the line, and I like it like that. If you want "gentleman" racing, well, let me know if you find it... I've never found it in any Grassroots or Professional series I've competed in.

Sure, there are "gentlemen" drivers, but they generally don't do well. Go figure.

$0.02

That being said, it was a great race, and a lot of people are underestimating the effect of the failing brakes and other mechanical problems with those moves that were happening on the last lap. Having failing brakes and other mechanical/tire issues meant braking earlier, unexpectedly, and other drivers weren't taking that into account, and were caught out and shit happens.

As I see it, it was a racing incident, and chalk it up to "shit happens". Sure, they penalized Perez for changing his racing line, but I really wonder what the "racing line" is when you're three drivers fighting for position in cars that are falling apart from under them.

But if you want to see another great race, I highly recommend the Tudor Race that just happened in Detroit... what a great fucking last 10 laps.

All around, it was a great weekend for racing.

#49 Nettdata, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  10. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Its kinda why I was siding a little bit with Perez for the accident. Massa came into that turn where Vettel and Perez were at like they were standing still. I wonder if he had some sort of failure?

Also,,, how awesome is it to see Ricciardo win that race? That kid exudes excitement. Not just on the podium, but every time he's interviewed. If you were to look at a picture of a kid opening presents Christmas morning, and a picture of him last weekend on the podium, it would be an identical ear to ear grin. You cannot not like him.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My initial thought was that Perez was braking a bit earlier than normal because his brakes were shit, and if he didn't brake as early as he did, he wouldn't have made the corner. It would also be interesting to see if his failing brakes caused him to go off that line a bit (I've had it happen myself).

Massa then came up, faster/deeper than he normally would in hopes of getting position in the corner, fully expecting Perez to brake where he/everyone normally does. (Again with the predictability). Then Perez braked earlier, combined with his brakes being worse than he thought they were, and he adjusted his line slightly, which wasn't what Massa thought he was going to do, so Massa hit him.

It could be that there was a mechanical failure (partial or complete) that caused Perez to move off his "racing line", but maybe the Stewards didn't give a shit about the reason, just the result.

Who knows... they have access to way more data than we ever will, and I can barely remember the corner replays at all.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Wow. That was a bit of a surprising qualifying.

Love the Austrian track, but never would have called a Williams front row, never mind a Masa pole.

And Vettel not making it to q3.

And Hamilton not getting a time.

Crazy.

13. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm rooting for Williams this year, and I could not even imagined this result.... Even after both of them finishing 3rd and 4th in P2. I thought they might get one or the other on the 2nd row, but not both on the front. If they could clean their shitty mistakes up, and without some bad luck, they'd be the second lead story this year.
    I wonder if there is a chink in the armor or Mercedes? They had brake issues in Montreal which caused Hamilton to not finish, and Rosberg to get passed by Ricciardo..... And now in Q3 Hamilton locks the back up (don't know if it because he switched the bias, or it was not his fault) but it was definitely a brake issue. They say they got it solved.... Did they?

I hope not. Just for excitement's sake. Nothing would make me happier than a tight season.

BTW. Fuck F1's online shopping site. The wife roots for Force India and in particular Hulky and I wanted to buy her something, not only do they have a shit selection, I couldn't even buy something.
    So I had to spend multiple hours building her something for the living room wall. Nothing worse than trying to give someone some money, and you not being able to. #whiteguyproblems

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It wasn't so much a brake failure as an overheating engine/turbo that caused the onboard electronics that controls the KERS and other systems to melt and fail. That caused them to rely purely on mechanical braking.

The high altitude of Austria causes turbos to run hotter, so maybe McLaren has dialed back the performance to keep temps down.

Pure speculation on my part, but who knows.

The race tomorrow should be awesome!

15. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am just very happy that a new race was added in a European circuit. I would loveic to see France get a round and am hoping that Belgium can keep Spa open and an F1 date.

Nice to see Williams have a good qualifying, but everyone should remember that they also use Mercedes power plants. The tide is not completely turning yet.

16. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I would think your speculation is pretty spot on, because they aired a pretty lengthy clip of Rosberg stating almost exactly that. The KERS (or since the new tech regs,,,,ERS) gets overheated and or doesn't get charged enough, they cannot get the energy to activate the new brake by wire system in which it reverts back to more of a mechanical braking system.

If they close SPA I'm gonna be pissed. Its my favorite fucking track. Anybody know what the track in Moscow is going to be like this year?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Eau Rouge is hands down the best section of track in F1.

If they kill that, fuck F1.

18. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The coolest pass in recent history that I can think of was two years ago when Raikkonnen past Shumacher on the outside at Eau Rouge.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... that was an INSANE pass. I remember Coulthard commentating that race, and he was gobsmacked. "no way... did he just do that!?!?"

Pure awesomeness.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Martin Brundle: "Vettel should give Webber his car back"

So true.