Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just finished our final day fishing. Ended early as the harbour is closing due to the hurricane coming in.

In total we’ve caught 12 marlin and 4 mahi mahi.

The mahi mahi I caught today was about 2-3 times bigger than the others. It put up a hell of a fight.

My buddy caught a good sized marlin today.

All in all we’re wiped out and have absolutely no complaints.

IMG_3169.jpeg IMG_3163.jpeg

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That marlin was going ape shit on deck. Almost stabbed a deck hand in the nuts, almost slapped me upside the head.

Hell of a fight.

IMG_3166.jpeg

3. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice. I'd sell a kidney for fresh off the boat mahi.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Things were getting spicy out there.

Huge swells. Enough that 40’ sailboats about 500 yards from us were almost completely disappearing from view, except the very tip of their masts.

Crazy.

IMG_3177.png

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'd sell a kidney for one of them fresh off the boat deck hands. Don't you know how hard they work?

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How bout fresh ON the boat mahi. Less than 15 minutes from the sea to the pan, a delicious breakfast just after sunrise. Reeled in by hand on a Cuban yoyo, no rod and reel.

Screenshot_20221024-102315-383.png

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.wfmj.com/story/49887639...ed-in-tournament-now-accused-of-poaching-deer

One the guys from the big walleye tournament cheating scandal just keeps sinking lower. His hunting license was suspended since 2008 for violations. He killed at least three trophy bucks during that time, tagging them with his wife's license tags. And gave his children counterfeit $100 bills to use at a bowling, or something like that. Lock this shithead away so he can't keep fucking over people an animals.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

normally I'm very pro rehabilitation rather than punishment. Exceptions prove the rule though. Sue this fucker for all he's worth in order to compensate society for the damage he has done (I'm thinking he owes the fish and game dept a good bit specifically), then lock him up and throw away the key

9. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think they seized his boat, and the team of cheaters got fined a small amount compared to their winnings during the questionable tournament winning streak.

He's obviously a career criminal. A thief, fraud, cheat, conman, counterfeiter, toxic father and husband... no telling how long the list actually is.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A buddy and I are entering our first fishing tournament. For catfish. You weigh one fish, it has to swim away after weigh-in. The weather is supposed to be kinda crappy, might work to our advantage if that means less competition. Been a couple of years with some truly massive winners, 112 and 141 pounds.

Wish me luck.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

you should put weights in them. Heard that helps.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Those guys ended up getting some serious charges against themselves. It was hilarious watching all of that unfold.

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not nearly enough punishment for those two, IMO. Did you see the post a little higher in this thread about the deer?

My buddy's kid tested positive for covid this morning. I told him I wasn't scared to fish with him, but understand if he needs to stay home. I'm excited, if he backs out, I'm going to unwinterize our pontoon and go alone.

14. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Friend finally confirmed he couldn't make it. I went and signed myself up. I have, at most, a couple hours to try and ready my boat.

Think I might sign up for Seatow in case it fucks up out there. I usually don't in the summer because most of our neighbors will come out and tow me home, same as I would and have done for them. But I don’t expect any of them to do it in the winter.

I just have a feeling. Maybe it's because I feel rushed to do something I usually spend a couple days doing, going over it and making sure its good.

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Didn't win. Not even close. Little over 80# took it this year. Just a couple of friends, not a sponsored team.

Boat didn't break, and I ended up towing another broke down boat, so did my good deed for the day.

It was cold with thick, patchy fog for the first couple of hours. Midday was beautiful and mild, and rain didn't start until after I got home.

Had fun, might do it again next year. That particular boat is not set up for fishing. No rod holders, bait or live wells, no fish or depth finder. Literally just went out and blindly threw baited hooks in the water. Tried all the spots I caught big fish before, but just didn't work for me. Hopefully I'm a little better equipped next time.

Screenshot_20240128_064821_Photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240128_064620_Photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240128_064648_Photos~2.jpg

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

my worst day fishing was still a great day

17. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Fiveslide bummer you didn't catch anything but great pics. I think I could get down with lake living,

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Looks like a great time regardless. Nice pics!

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a man that knows fishing code, LOL. I never said I didn't catch anything, just that I didn't get close to winning. But I posted sunrise pics instead of fish pics. You'd fit in at the lake.

I wasn't the only entrant to get skunked. There were many of us out of 230+ boats.

There aren't many places I'd choose to live over this area.

20. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was definitely worth waking up at 3am for the views and the peace before the start time. I typically don't do that in the winter.