Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Great Resignation or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love No Job

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimmy James, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think people will figure it out. More importantly, I think companies will be forced to figure it out, in the sense that they pay a living wage for even menial service jobs.

You can only automate so much, and I think it will cause people to innovate and create new jobs for a newly freed up labour force.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There is absolutely no friendly answer or happy solution to this issue, sorry.

I was put in that position, so I went to school at night while working full time to get skilled. This is an industry being replaced by automation whether people like it or not. Either become that ten percent like I did or you’re fucked, period. And you have to go somewhere else and start over.

3. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To add to this: certain jobs will have very low application/hiring rates, until the majority of the people who are qualified for them are no longer afraid that any customer interaction will likely lead to illness/death of themselves or a loved one.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are not talking about changing skillsets.

We're talking about simply eliminating major sections of the labor market. It's not a question of buggy whip makers (or blacksmiths) having to move to another segment of industry, it's a question or what happens when most assembly and raw material transformation simply doesn't require human beings? Or the only human beings it does require are a small handful of highly skilled and trained computer and electronics engineers?

By and large, this kind of automation is not creating a new industry for people to move into. It's simply replacing skill sets that used to employ people.

I'm not saying we should slow down or stop it, but it is going to require a different view into how we view the labor market, and what it means to "earn a living."

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

That has happened, though, even if on a smaller scale. NASA and some companies used to employ “human computers.” Those were groups of people that worked out complex math problems. Now we have real computers for that. And entire labor fields have been completely eliminated over time. The blacksmith example wasn’t to show that skills are entirely transferable. The point is that there aren’t anymore commercial blacksmiths. But the alarmism on this concept assumes that the change will be immediate. Unless we remove the air gap from some game-changing AI, the economy will adjust* toward it in whatever way it needs to, otherwise what would be the point? Without consumers with disposable income, it won’t matter anyway. At some point, the dust will settle on it.

(*This refers to all applicable mechanisms, not some Adam Smith dogmatic finger-crossing.)

That said, to your last point, I agree, we need a new lens to even conceptualize it. I’m not sure what a post-scarcity/post-capitalist society would even look like or that our political climate could realistically adjust to it, regardless of employment levels.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not trying to be alarmist; this will be a slow process and we will, by necessity, have to navigate it.

But your points about NASA or blacksmiths are missing what is happening - individual fields always have skills come and go.

Robotics are reaching a point, though, where the very idea of human beings doing repetitive, dextrous tasks may become obsolete. That's not a field or skillset changing; that's a basic way a large portion of humans have "earned a living" for as long as earning a living was a thing humans did.

7. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A big part of the jobs discussion isn't necessarily what but where. If you're automating a plant in Boston or Chicago, yeah it sucks, but chances are there's enough opportunity to find something else to do. In Kentucky? In Oklahoma? You're forced to scrape by. Labor monopsony is a big issue here and it's kept wages down artificially for decades, it's one of the dirty secrets to the US' economic success.

I also think we'll see a resurgence in trades, and that can definitely put people to work. The "lifelong, living wage, union manufacturing job" is dead for most folks, and has been for decades. We haven't significantly changed our labor practices to acknowledge that, and we're overdue. Labor-intensive gigs abound in construction and residential trades, and they are hurting for labor. It might not be "learn to code", but "lay a brick" can be a viable path to a middle class life with some adjustments to our labor practices. Some independent contractors can make well over 6 figures, in a job that has some serious appeal to folks not interested in an office life or for whom book learnin ain't their thing.

I think what we're seeing is "fuck this" as a response to front-line staff interacting with the public being required to enforce new standards of behavior, like mask mandates, on a public that isn't exactly enthused. The shitheads are the minority, but it doesn't take many to ruin your day. Jobs that have no future, no living wage, and don't build more valuable skills simply have to compensate better. I also think we're seeing the outing of some bad bosses, folks who feel entitled to labor.

In my sphere, a lot of loud assholes are threatening to quit over the vaccine mandate, but I suspect a tiny minority will actually do so.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I wasn't accusing you specifically of being alarmist, just that there seems to be a general (perhaps unfounded) alarmist about the issue. I agree that entire swaths of manual laborers will be out of work (permanently) in ways that have never been seen. I'm saying that it won't be as immediately critical as it's made out to be as an argument for something like UBI. I think UBI will eventually be necessary, but my main point is that the market tends to correct itself given a long enough period of time.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Well, I hope the job seeker job market helps out with hub's job search because he's about to lose it at his current one. Too bad he can't just quit because of, you know, money.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That might have something to do with it...burnout is definitely a reason people say "fuck this" and walk off.

11. greybeard

greybeard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Most work/jobs are like a set of balance scales, on one side is money and on the other is bullshit. It tends to be the bullshit side that loads up faster than the money side till either the balance tilts or breaks.

12. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

6 months ago, both me and my co-worker got surprise "Reviews". Later on we both realized it was a "OH SHIT, we can't lose these guys" review. Which is fine, I appreciate that someone looked at what we were doing and wanted to make us at least "Seen". The raise for me put me at the $20.00/Hr mark, but I routinely clock 18-20 hours of overtime(which for my region is a decent wage). I know I'm using a lot of Quotes there, but honestly, I'm not sure what my prospects, out in the market, would look like.

Brief back-story; I was head-hunted by HR(I worked with him at a local Grocery chain) to be the "shop assistant". It paid what I made as a Dept-manager, and I had evenings/weekends off. Sold. Literally the day I started, another employee announced her brain-surgery, and was leaving for 6-8 weeks. I stepped in to learn, and do her job. I spent 3-4 months working 12-14 hr days, and eventually just flipped to coming in on Sat. to catch up. Apparently I impressed enough people that I was offered, out of the blue, to be the Logistics Manager, despite having no previous experience. I've figured it out as I go, but I'm constantly out of my element and training new hires is taking up more of my time than I ever anticipated.

I know that when it comes to "hard work", I can excel, but to this day there are areas that I constantly struggle with, and moving on from here; I fell like other companies will expect a proficiency at least, and be disappointed when they realize the skills I lack.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not one of those "I plan to retire at 40 even if I have to live in a shoebox to do it" but I'm definitely making my long term plans with the idea that I could walk off a job at any point, and having enough savings to stop working if I had to. Mostly that's in the form of avoiding lifestyle inflation and socking away what I can.

14. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

1st off; Who plans at retiring at 40? I mean, I WISH i could, but unless you got in on the ground-floor of a VC/Won the lotto, who's doing that?

2nd off; there's still a large population that feels like "work" and "identity" are commingled. Grocery store days, I had at least 3-4 older duded who would apply, "just for general stuff", who had been retired less than 6 months. They had nothing to wake up and get outta bed for. Some of those guys put in another 15 years at a grocery store, just cause they were valued.
    Retirement sounds nice, only if you have enough hobbies to fill the gaps. Alot of people haven't thought that far out...

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

To someone working somewhere that makes them want to punch someone or break down.... a job that is affecting their health and making even their free time bitter....retirement sounds like permanent vacation.

There are definitely some people who live on ramen and budget to the penny to max out all possible retirement funds possible, with the plan of retiring early and continuing the lifestyle. You will find many on the FIRE subreddit.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FI/RE

I would certainly do something, but I'd like to avoid having to work and having to prioritize salary.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The FI/RE concept is intriguing, but I don’t know if living on a shoestring budget for the rest of my life is worth not making any money at all.

18. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Machinist here, at least for the time being.

We have already what's called "lights out manufacturing", machines left to feed and run themselves during off hours, with just the one person who comes in if there's an alarm on their phone. But this is limited to small parts, the sort you carve out of simple bar stock (hence automated bar feeders, part catchers, etc). And these runs go into the thousands of parts, any errors are made up in sheer volume. For bigger stuff, especially the stuff you have to load with a 2-ton hoist, there's no automating that. Or in the case of a job shop, small runs of custom work, you need someone there who can adjust on the fly.

I'm less worried about automation, more worried about my particular industry disappearing eventually. We make the stuff you'd use to dig for oil, or water. When either of those stops being a thing, interesting times.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well Im going to be 37 in a few weeks and it seems Im way behind the 8 ball just glancing at that subreddit. Makes more sense if you got out of college with a good paying job and career field and just banked for 23-40. I did not do that. Also assume it's mostly childless people given the amount of question of how to achieve it with them. Depending on where you live banking 75-100k for 10-15 years with decent investments you could switch to some low stress part time job a few days a week.

Some big corps were already trending towards flex time and unlimited pto. A career as an identity is not what it used to be. I know seeing my dad die at 52 after decades of 3rd shift overtime (he lived to work) didnt pay off since he missed the time he could have been spending with his family.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My work did something similar for me. They shoved through a promotion that usually takes a while, and threw a bonus at me. They like me there, but it's a big enough company that that kind of HR stuff doesn't usually happen fast and the bonus was out of the blue. Clearly they're panicking a little.

I'm in the same boat. I don't know exactly when retirement is for me, but I know I won't be working when I'm 60. This is partly for real retirement purposes, and partly to ensure that I always maintain the ability to tell a shitty job to fuck off.

If you hang around those communities at all, you'll find a whole spectrum of people. They range from: "I live in my Honda Civic in the work parking lot and eat their free ramen noodles, I will retire at 30 and live on $21k/year for the rest of my life," (I mean, yay, but that hardly seems like a life?) to "I got a $400k/year job out of college and will retire at 35 with $4 million in the bank," (and again, yay, but that's not a plan most people can work with).

I'm moderate about it. I spend on things that bring happiness into my life (travel, photography), but I'm very careful to avoid sinking money into stuff outside of categories that make me happy. I've driven high mileage cars for a couple decades because I know a car is an appliance to me, not a source of enjoyment. When I get a raise, I usually reward myself with something, and then just bump up my savings percentage; my yearly expenses haven't changed much in 10 years despite 3 promotions and regular raises.

I have my own FI/RE plans but the point is that it's less about living on a shoestring and retiring before 40, and more about shifting your priorities to knock some years off your working life. Some people are more extreme than others, but man does it sound bleak to me to continue spending half or more of my available time working - and nearly all of my daylight hours - until I'm sixty-freaking-seven.