Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The sixth time's the charm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lust4life, Dec 15, 2011.

1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[post deleted]

2. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Local law enforcement in the DFW area is enforcing mandatory breathalyzer test for anyone pulled over this weekend. A guy who was at lunch with us today told us about a friend who just got out of prison after serving 8 of his 10 year sentence for multiple DWIs. He got busted in less than a week on another DWI. He's back in prison. Fr the next 25 years. No possibility of parole. No injuries in any of his DWIs.

3. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, this doesn't make sense to me. What was going through his mind?

"Hmm, I've spent the last eight years behind bars, and am on parole for the next two years. Let's go celebrate!"

If I was in his situation, I'd probably set my car on fire and never get behind the wheel again. Either the booze or the car has got to go. Some people just don't learn...

4. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What I'd bet was going through his mind was, "Well, I quit for 8 years, so I've proven I can control it.". Delusional, alcoholic thinking.

5. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

But I don't know that I agree that prison is the answer. He hasn't hurt anyone in any of his DWIs. He obviously has a problem, and if he's allowed out it really is only a matter of time before he DOES hurt or kill someone. But how is throwing his sorry ass in prison for another 25 years helping?

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Part of the logical reason why prisons exist is to remove a threat from society. If you prove, time and time again, that you are willing to put yourself in a position that could really do damage or hurt someone, maybe it's time that society puts you in a safe place. This is especially true if you have multiple DWIs and can't seem to learn your lesson after probationary periods, therapy, counseling, whatever. At some point, the people in charge have the say "ok, you fuck up repeatedly and can't change your behavior. Into jail you go."

I wish there was a way to get people to change their minds on a subject and change their behavior, but what is left to do when they don't?

7. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Additionally, another reason we have harsh laws for repeat offenders is deterrence.

The fact that someone gets 25 years for repeat DUIs means that other people will decide that their behavior WILL land them in prison for a long-ass time if they don't change it. As a result, that guy gets nailed to the wall, but other people change their behavior and stop being threats on the road.

It seems heavy-handed to put someone in jail for 25 years without killing anyone. But think about it this way - this guy got so many DUIs that he was sentenced to prison for ten years. How many is that, exactly? Let's see - the first one usually ends up with probation; the second one is minor jail time, the third is a felony, resulting in a moderate sentence. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was on his fourth or fifth CONVICTION. That's not even counting the number of times that he's managed to escape getting caught and the times that he's managed to plead with the officer to avoid getting taken in, along with the times that he's managed to get the charges thrown out due to officer mistakes or whatever. Add in the rehab, the sobriety programs, and so on - this guy's past second and third chances; he was probably on #8 or #9. Finally, they have him do hard time as punishment... and as soon as he gets out, what does he do? He gets another DUI. He's completely irredeemable. And what do you say to the family when he runs over some kid at a crosswalk? "Well, he got five DUIs, but he never hurt anyone. Sorry." Yeah, I'd love to be the person making THAT argument to the kid's dad.

The guy's irredeemable. You can't kill him, but you can remove him from society so that he can't hurt anyone. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets out of the joint after 25 years and immediately gets another one. I hope to God that he doesn't kill anyone then, either.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

For every time a drunk driver gets pinched, there's probably anywhere from 10 to 500 times they DIDN'T get pinched. That's when it gets frightening.

You are driving a 5000 pound wrecking ball in a place where you threaten people you don't know every single second. As soon as you drive drunk it doesn't matter "how good/experienced" you are at it, you are rolling the fucking dice and you need to be PUT DOWN HARD.

And I love the goddamn excuses you hear when you take somebody's keys from them:

--"I actually drive BETTER drunk. The thought of being caught by the police forces me to pay attention to the road better and be more careful."
    --"I'll just blast the tunes and air conditioning to keep me lucid."
    --"I'll just pull over and nap if it gets too hairy."
    --"I'll grab some drive-thru to sponge the booze."
    --"I took a power nap and slept the booze off."

and my absolute favourite:

--"There's no fucking way I'm leaving my car parked here overnight."

Fuck you. Fuck you very much.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This.

A thousand times.

Fuck you people right in the eye who think that you shouldn't be punished because you haven't hurt anyone yet.

You are putting everyone around you in immediate and grave physical danger. I don't give a shit about your transportation problems. If you don't live in a city with good public transportation, you need to take that into account when you go out drinking.

Yes, .08 is an inexact number but without an objective way to quickly measure actual impairment, it's a damn good starting point. Few people are severely impaired under .08.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate to bring up an old thread, but this article fits the focus.

Texas officers face harder line on drunken driving

The gist is that the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education is now requiring that cops convicted of DUI lose their peace officers' license for awhile (how long "awhile" is isn't specified).

Sounds kosher to me, but some cops are complaining. Here are some choice quotes:

AUSTIN OFFERS SECOND CHANCES FOR COPS BUSTED ON DUIS?! Austin, the home of MADD, and the city in Texas most notorious for throwing the book at DUI offenders.
    My first conviction was in Austin, and I had to serve jail time! And I didn't hurt anyone! I got pulled over because there was a tail light out on my car and I refused the breathalyzer.

Anyone who has ever doubted me when I say that cops get preferential in the eyes of the law can read that quote again... and kiss my ass.

File that one in the "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!" category. Cops are supposed to be leading by example. This "Do as I say, not as I do (or I will bust your ass)" attitude from cops has got to go.

Message to cops: YOU'RE BEING PAID TO ENFORCE THE LAW, SO YOU GODDAM WELL BETTER FOLLOW IT.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Why do cops like to drive drunk? Because it's their fellow workers who would pull them over, who will then promptly let them continue their murderous drive home.

You say this as if this should surprise you in any way. Cops. Are. ABOVE. The law. Somthing cops don't like to let the public in on: Police play by a secret code of conduct they hammer in to your heads the minute you start training for police: The Code Of Silence. This states that no matter what an officer does, you WILL NOT RAT HIM OUT. Even if they D get in trouble "Well, he's a service to this community...blah blah blah won't happen again." It's the same everywhere. Here in town, one cop was suspended for three months WITH PAY for beating a man he pulled over after the man wouldn't give a breathalizer....because he was having an asthma attack. For beating up a man who could have been dying right in front of him, he was given 14 weeks of paid vacation with no demotion whatsoever as "punishment".

That, is how it works for police. You cannot do what you want, but they can and that's just how it is. If you don't believe me, ask the cop who nearly hit me only two days ago because he was talking on his cell phone (illegal in Ontario).

12. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'M NOT surprised by it. I've seen it in practice for years. What surprises me is all the people on this board* and in the real world who think the policeman is their friend (and therefore above reproach), but want DUI offenders crucified.

*A site where there is a running laissez faire attitude regarding the law.

13. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now that might actually convince people not to do it. I like it.