Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not the Bees!, Jun 12, 2014.

1. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why should Germany do that for USA? They'll want another win under their belts before the knockout stage.

2. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Because for both teams, not losing is much more important than winning? Why wouldn't each team roll out a conservative game plan since for both a draw guarantees they advance? It's not Germany doing the US a favor, it's ensuring they get to the next round. Unless Germany's just so much better than the US that they can be aggressive offensively without compromising anything defensively (which they very well may be), wouldn't the better strategy be the one that gives them the greatest chance of advancement? They'll still be the top team from the group because of point differential.

3. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, they are. Germany are one of the favourites to win the World Cup. All they'll be thinking of with be beating USA by 2-3 goals so they can gain some momentum before going into the knockout stages. Another draw at this stage of the competition, after their disappointing performance against Ghana, wouldn't be viewed as a positive result (even though it would guarentee that they'd advance)

4. jrm

jrm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

You really want to finish first in Group G. The difference between getting Algeria/Russia or Belgium in the next round is pretty huge. Belgium will most likely be the weakest of the group winners, but you'd still much rather play the 25th or 23rd ranked team at the competition than the ninth. That's the motivation for the US to go out for the win.

5. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Germany draws with us they still get first because of the goal differential. The United States would have to play a stronger team in the next round, but Belgium still isn't as tough as Germany and that's preferable to risking getting knocked out. Besides, just getting out of the group would be huge for us. With all that in mind you almost never see sports teams do this. They don't want to piss off fans with a lackluster game and it goes against the mentality of the sport.

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't be shocked to see Germany go easy. Not "sit starters and play backups" kind of easy, but for those saying "why should Germany play to a draw" are also underestimating the conditions down there. The heat and humidity is absolutely contributing to injuries and exacerbating fatigue, so the opportunity to still win the group, but not kill themselves and save some energy? I think it's very likely you see both teams come out in a defensive arrangement. The dream of course is this playing out and Germany making a mistake late that the US capitalizes on for a late winner.

7. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the first time in my life I'm really hoping to see a boring 0-0 draw. I don't want any drama this game, I don't want anything interesting to happen. If they could sit there and pass the ball between two guys for 90 mins that'd be great.

8. Vorticon

Vorticon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Hah, the biggest complaint Americans have about soccer, and suddenly it's all you want.

What you guys are suggesting about collusion between the teams has happened before and is apparently the reason why the last games in each pool are played simultaneously. Amazing really given that they hate having games at the same time because of TV rights, and usually this would be the first and last consideration for FIFA.

9. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, its what I want, but don't be a moron and think my opinion is representative of all Americans. I hate when people bash on the US by using one persons opinion as a representation for the whole country,

10. Vorticon

Vorticon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Steady on, that's not what I was going for at all.

Back on topic: The worst [actual] injury of the world cup so far.

11. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll gladly change my problems if it means the great old United States of America succeeding.

12. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

FINALLY, an incident where that action is appropriate.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

USA USA USA USA

Through to the second round! I'm not saying we're a power house, but it's about time our team started getting some respect. We just got out of arguably the toughest group in the tournament. I know the Brits can't talk shit any more.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

At least they didn't kill six million fans resulting in everybody hating France.

Seriously, what the fuck IS that shit? Do these morons really think the way of life is driving every non-white or gay person into the sea? What YEAR is this again? Anybody who talks down about Yankees and Sox fans should take a gander at that bullshit.

As a fan you should be representing your country, not making absurd fools out of it.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are a lot of people in Europe on the far, far right. They think there is some kind of grand conspiracy to raze their societies to the ground and transform them into a communist union. Some of these stupid fucks think the nazis saved Europe from allowing this to happen 70 years ago.

Anyway... assuming Belgium wins their group, which probably has at least a 90% chance of happening that really isn't that bad a draw for the American side. We haven't made a semi-final since 1930 or whenever the fuck the world cup where like only 8 teams showed up was. Call me overly optimistic and I might just be riding the high of today's advance, but I am really liking our chances at making a deep run.

18. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the US has learned how to survive, thats a hugely important thing, obviously you won't have your best every day so its a necessary skill. I also think the US learned they are dangerous, its important to have that confidence. So now the US team is flexible and dangerous, for a short tourney thats a dangerous thing. I'll keep the faith and keep hoping the win the World Cup. As well, they survived the Group of Death, and not only that but they should've won it outright it it wasn't for a fluke play at the end of the game. The American team is dangerous. I think the rest of the world should take a peak at the same and see how the offense is highly opportunistic.

I think Americans need to stop caring that the rest of the world discounts the team and the fan base. Things are what they are, the team and fans need to do the best we can. We aren't trying to impress the soccer powers, we're trying win every game against them. Soccer in a lot of way reflects a European aristocracy with the teams in that upper echelon getting all the credit and everyone else being dismissed. The US will never be a part of that group so we need to get over it and have pride in our team.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

[​IMG]

Is this true?
    [​IMG]

...because if it is, well, what the FUCKING FUCK.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

According to the official website, yes.