Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

This world is on fire...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, May 5, 2016.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That has to be the lowest-paying job in town by a HUGE margin.

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Before it burned down, yes.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Striding Man

Striding Man
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

As someone who has had a run in with fire, I feel for all the people affected by this awful situation. Thankfully it seems as though the worst is passed.

Two days before Christmas in 2008, we had a fire in an apartment we we're renting in Chicago, in Wrigleyville. It was an old, oddly designed brick building in which all four of the outer walls of our unit were brick, limiting the actual fire damage to just our unit and the garage below (only unit in the building without upstairs neighbors). Long story short, several water lines froze. My wife and I both had to work that evening so we called maintenance told them we needed it fixed ASAP and left. Fuckers burned that bitch to the ground. About 2 hours after I left, I get a call from our neighbor saying our place was engulfed in flames and the fire dept was on site. Both bedrooms, bathroom and living room were entirely engulfed, too the point that the floors collapsed into the garage below destroying 2 cars (not ours) and burned through everything. Its a miracle the fuel in the cars didn't ignite.

Total Loss.The only things that weren't destroyed in that fire we're our cars and the clothes on our backs. No one was injured, no one died, no pets lost. For what it was we we're very fortunate. But, it's a very weird feeling (numb? stunned? disassociated?) waking up and realizing that you can't even brush your teeth or change your underwear because you literally have nothing else to wear. We had renters insurance thankfully, but nowhere near enough. We were thinking about valuable stuff being stolen, not every single thing, down to socks & razors being gone.

We ultimately saw at it as a test of our resolution in the face of adversity as a couple, as this was 7 months before our wedding. I can honestly say that if it had to happen, we had the best possible outcome, as I said no injuries or fatalities resulted from the fire.

And we learned our lesson, definitely overinsure yourself on personal property replacement costs. The difference in premiums between $25K (what we had) & $250K (what we now have) was less than $200/year.

I hope the people of Ft. McMurray are able to find their way back to normal life as soon as possible, and wish them all the best.