Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TiB's potential New Mod? [WDT 08/13/10] HOT BOSS Theme

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prefontaine, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

New site slogan is the bee's knees. With a little luck, Google will off-ramp a retard stampede into here.

2. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

C'mon, let's at least try and keep this PG. Justin Bieber fans come in all sizes and ages.

3. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actual conversation this morning:

"Have you not had coffee yet this morning? You seem a little messed up."
    "Oh, uh, actually, I'm pregnant right now and I'm not feeling too well."
    "Oh... mazel tov."
    "Umm... what's that mean?"
    "It's Hebrew for 'congratulations."
    "Oh, thank you."

And I had even been told she was pregnant. Smooth.

4. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But doesn't it have to be in one of the Google-recognized fonts? I'm not sure which font TiB uses, but I think it has to be in Times, Ariel, Helvetica, or one other type I believe in order for google to read it.

Forget where I heard that, but if what I quoted does happen, I could see this getting interesting.

6. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Met some tourists last night, showed them the city, and somehow ended up doubling the total number of black girls I've slept with. Booyaka. Now I'm out to San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua for some surf, rum, and seafood. You idiots have fun, and my condolences? to the winner.

As for the new slogan, Dr. Frylock, you're a magnificent bastard.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't smoked anything harder than cigs in years. What the fuck? Do I have the cancer?

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Why do all huge, hairy fat-asses feel the need to mow their lawns in only black socks, flip-flops and the shorts they wore in grade ten gym class? FUCK man. There are children around and you're subjecting my entire neighbourhood to that horror. Cover the hell up because you're KILLING my property value more than you would by sticking a sailboat in your driveway.

9. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That sounds right, I copied and pasted the slogan and TIB didn't come up. At least for the first 3 pages or so.

10. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So you dated a guy for three months and you two didn't hook up? Unless you don't consider it to be "hooking up" in the context of short-term dating, shit. You should make potential suitors sign a disclaimer about that before leading them on.

Also, if you guys want to get TIB to the top of the Justin Bieber google search, you need to do what's called a google bomb. Remember how the whole "French military victories" thing worked? You need to hyperlink this website under the text of Justin Bieber, like so...

Justin Bieber

And do it a lot.

11. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Helvetica is the bee's knees of fonts.

12. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Took me about eight hours to find a new piece of ass to tap after doing the ex one last time. Man I love college.

13. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Where are you going to school that it started already? Summer courses? I think at least 90% of the schools around me don't start for another 2 weeks or so.

14. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah summer courses, but it seems like a lot of people have already come back to town. College in Oregon is on a quarter schedule so we start Fall towards the end of September.

15. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Jesus, sometimes this place is like watching Forrest Gump doing running commentary on neurosurgery. "Jenn-ay, I don't think that man in the gown should be puttin' an ice-pick into that utha man's brayans..."

The way it works is that most search engines index things that are in plain text on the page, including our slogan. For things that are in plain text, the font doesn't matter because it is just reading and parsing the HTML directly.

Google (supposedly, much of this is proprietary) has several innovations above and beyond this. They will actually lay out the page and try to parse text out of images, which is probably where you got the thing about the fonts. Since the slogan is not in a JPG file or a GIF file or something, this isn't necessary. They will also try to guess, heuristically, what text is important on the page and what is not - a bunch of keywords in 2-point font at the bottom of the page in white-on-white text (a common search-engine baiting technique of the past) will be ignored by Google, but picked up by more naive search engines. It would not surprise me if they have special filters that look for common content management systems (e.g., WordPress, phpBB, vBulletin) and use their knowledge of that to figure out "this is a forum post, this is the site's name, etc..."

The reason it's not coming up on searches yet is because it's been like TWO HOURS since it changed. Google does not magically get informed every time a website on the Internet changes. They have a crawler that goes out and crawls websites. Their crawling algorithm is also sophisticated and proprietary: in the early days, it would do a major re-crawl of the Internet every couple of months and then update the index then. After that, they started to have sites that changed more often (e.g., news sites) crawled more often. They just rolled out a yet-more sophisticated crawler that has different "shearing layers" - some layers are crawled infrequently, some more frequently, and some very, very frequently, and the index is being updated more often also. So the change will show up, but there will be a lag (although that lag will be shortened by their new crawler).

16. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I tried reading that, but all I could imagine was a retarded kid getting thrown in a pool and watching him try to swim.

17. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

It's a well known fact that the best place to diagnose something as serious as that is on a random messageboard full of idiots. I say we get a mod to slap a poll on this thread: Does iczorro have: cancer? emphysema? Those black bugs that John Coffey coughed up in The Green Mile? Something else? I'm just hear to cough on Chater.

When I hear "hooked up" I think "randomly fucked once." Have I been using that term in the wrong context? Can you actually hook up with your significant other?

18. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sure you can hook up with a SO but it has to be in a strange place, like a church confessional booth or a bar toilet.

19. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe if you're the kind of people who are bored in your relationship but afraid of being alone so you go to the same bar separately, "meet", and have sex so you can pretend to have the thrill of having a one night stand.

Counter-point: if it's your significant other, you can do whatever you want with them. But I interpreted the question to be "have any of you ever had sex with someone from the board".

20. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Great. Now I have to concede that Father Tom was significant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.