Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Upcoming Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diogenes The Cynic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah I don't know how you do it without neutering the point of the book and characters. Other shows were able to do it, the but the point of the gang, especially the Judge, is that they are violence incarnate, so who knows.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Where many trailers these days suck, the campaign of short previews and snippets for this film so far has been brilliant— they reveal nothing yet the film looks scary as hell.

3. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's no way a Blood Meridian Movie would work. I think it would have to be a mini series, and even then it would be confusing and depressing as hell to watch.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It can’t be done. You want “unfilmable”? There’s your book. And not because of it being too cosmic or difficult, but simply based on its honest horrific-ness. It’s the best, the most horrifying book you can read. Go back and read the scenes involving the judge and the idiot and tell me that can be put on film.

A book that incredible only deserves a movie/series that will be as good as it. And you can’t put that shit on film without an X-rating. That (necessary) level of violence doesn’t get the mainstream treatment.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure about McCarthy adaptations in general. I haven't read No Country yet, so I don't really know how the film compares - the film was good, but McCarthy's prose and symbolism is so integral to the books and that just can't come across in a movie; after reading half a dozen of his books, I suspect the book was a very different feel from the movie. Similarly, The Road was an okay film but just didn't feel anything like the book did. All the Pretty Horses has terrible reviews and I loved the book so I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch it.

Blood Meridian is another one. The violence is the point, but not just the blunt image of what happened - the floral and expansive descriptions of every last nuance of the environment are so integral to the experience. If some magnificent bastard of a director did do justice to the story and it got released, I think it would be sensory overload to watch. Not just in the, "extreme violence has a limited market" way, but even for people willing and braced for the violence - I just don't know that you can convey it without shutting down a lot of your audience. It's hard enough to read.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It'd have to be Quentin Tarantino, and I don't think he'd put his ego aside to do it. I don't think any film director truly gets BM well enough to do it justice, they'd have to see past their own interpretations and structures of their chosen medium.

It just wouldn't work.

Dune wasn't necessarily unfilmable, but to film it, some integral pieces needed to be chopped out. And it becomes unfilmable pretty quick. It's kind of criminal to take that approach to an opus like BM.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'll spoil it for you: none of those things translate that well to the movies. No Country kind of does, but The Road doesn't.

8. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NO. Tarantino would fuck it up.

He'd write in some snappy, fast-paced dialog, use some big name actors, and probably use some obscure songs from the '70s and completely change the tone of the story.

He might also try to throw in some kind of social commentary (in my opinion, "Death Proof," "Ingourious Basterds", and "Django " were written as ways to refute his critics who called him misogynist, anti-semitic, and racist, respectively. ).

Worst of all: he might make one of his stupid cameos.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I meant for getting the violence right. You're right he'd put his stamp on it and fuck it up.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

How to make a great trailer: ultimate edition.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Practical effects!!!

12. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I assume at some point, one of the "fun reveals" in the movie is them explaining why it's Wolfs instead of Wolves? Like "I'm a lone wolf!" "Me too!" So, they don't work together - they're both lone wolfs! Or, both their last names are Wolf? Nick Wolf and Jack Wolf - two Wolfs! Looks predictable, but fun.

The good news (for me!) is that it's an AppleTV production through Sony Pictures releasing, which is the same as "Fly Me To The Moon" in July. So, multiple successes?

14. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the trailer neither wants to work with the other. So, the title reflects the former.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks fun. Just right for a Netflix watch.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Bikeriders, from w/d Jeff Nichols. He did Mud with Matthew McConaughey and some other stuff. Tom Hardy finds interesting things.

There are a ton of reasons for studios / distributors to drop films, but Disney dropped this, so it missed its original December 2023 release date. I think it's good, because maybe it was too dark for Disney? Who knows. It'll be nice to see Norman Reedus in something besides Walking Dead that he seems made for, and maybe Jodie Comer will take all her clothes off. Plus, you know, motorcycles.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Robert Eggers FTW

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure about watching a whole movie where the camera never moves, but this looks interesting. I trust Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks working together on fantastic films in the past (and even Robin Wright on Forrest Gump, obvs) to give it a whirl.

I have not read the graphic novel it's based on.

19. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This looks all kinds of interesting.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Reeeeeeeeetarded. There is nothing that’s going to be in this quarter-billion dollar film that Spartacus: Blood and Sand didn’t already provide a hundred times over and better.

So we have for you in this sequel that nobody asked for (from a movie that has aged terribly) is Eddie Munson from Stranger Things as the emporer of Rome and Denzel as Denzel. Fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off.

I’ll give it this: at least it doesn’t look as bad as the even MORE new Hellboy reboot. Because nothing on this earth does.