Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Walking Dead: Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Oct 14, 2013.

1. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not trolling. Just my opinion.

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Walking Dead: Season 4

Yeah I agree with all this, I really should haven't of said sucks, wasted potential describes it much better. Still to many characters that get no explanation, and of course they are still in the prison which to me is going to get boring real quick if they just fend off breaches and recover ad nauseum.

3. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, it sucks. I admit I'll keep watching because I love zombie-related activities so much, but "wasted potential" is just being polite.

The dialogue is absolutely painful. Scriptwriting 101 (any story writing, really) is 'show, don't tell'. This is 100% tell. Characters just state outright what they're feeling, like robots. It's a big reason why, despite solid acting all around, no one actually gives a shit or is invested in any character.

And that's on top of the unrealistic stupidity of the characters. No night guards? It takes the fence being severely weakened for them to reinforce it? Why not put sheets or pile up crap so walkers can't see everyone who's outside all the fucking time? A trench, perhaps? Why would they leave the cell blocks unlocked AND open when they sleep? I don't care how homey and comfortable we're supposed to believe they feel in a goddamn prison, this is the actual apocalypse, and these characters have survived long enough to know that complete security does not exist.

This show is a bunch of cool zombie scenes, with semi-regular "oh shit" moments like the burnt bodies, in between long bouts of substanceless dialogue trying too hard to be dramatic. At least Dexter showed tits.

4. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try as I might, just can't help viewing this show thru the lens of World War Z (the book). Any particular reason why the zombies would pile on that side of the fence? What, the rats they're not even bothering to finish?

Hey I think Michonne has some tragic dead baby story in her past. Call it a hunch or something.

5. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah that was about as subtle as a brick to the face.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Carol killed two people to try and prevent plague. Really? Fucking really? She went from teaching kids not to be weak and use knives when necessary to proactively killing two people and burning them?

That's a bit of a character leap there. We needed some build-up there. And out of all the people, Rick just figured it was her because she cared? Come the fuck on. Also, how is Bob's alcoholism going to factor in? It has to factor in since they hinted at it right?

7. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe the spin off is a buddy comedy where Bob and Hershel fall of the wagon?

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Turning her into a stealth killer makes her look like more of a psychopath than anything else. And I'm disappointed that D'Angelo Barksdale is such a weaksauce character. There is such wasted talent on that show.

I watched a little of Talking Dead last night. Man, Marilyn Mason looks like shit. And THATS saying something.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well he was weak in The Wire. But I'm sure they have something planned for him. Like I said, you don't spend 30 seconds with him struggling with fucking wine (that breaks alcoholics these days?) for no reason.

10. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Knowing how this show is it'll most likely turn out to be nothing.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I laughed at this because I know it fucking will. So fucking sad. All I shout at my TV is "NO ONE WOULD REALLY ACT LIKE THIS IN A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE."

Still will watch every week though. BBBBRRRRRAAAAAIIIIINNNNNSSSS

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The question really is, who is going to die this Sunday? Herschel? Lizzie? Glenn? Someone is dying.

13. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'm going with d'Angelo Barksdale.

Am I the only one that is actually digging this season?

15. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been really enjoying it. A lot of people watch the show for ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE ACTION!! and they forget that the source material is more of a drama. Braining zombies is fun to watch, but the story is really about the survivors and the type of people they become because of the situation. I think Carol's arc this season has been a perfect example of that being done well.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think some of the drama still doesn't make sense either. It just seems that people are acting ways I don't believe you'd act in a zombie apocalypse. Carol's actions making a little more sense. Still don't feel the connection was there from the mystery framed aspect of who killed the sick people TIED with the who is feeding the zombies possibly conditioning them to hangout on the gate. But they totally dropped the fucking ball on the whole rat feeding thing, unless we turn around and decided it was the Governor, but why would he walk in a leave some rats on the inside of the gate then walk away? Just some logical things are full of fuck.

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, I think the rat feeder is one of the kids. Probably Lizzie's little sister. She has a hard-on for the walkers.

Did you see the Talking Dead two weeks ago? Marilyn Manson was one of the guests, and I think he drank an entire bottle of vodka before the cameras started rolling, cause he was fucking incoherant through the whole episode.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't watch Walking Dead, Chris Hardwick annoys me in his "Yay for being nerds! I'm a nerd! I do nerdy things" I saw in his stand-up that I couldn't get 10 minutes through. Marylin Manson is also hard on my eyes.

I can't buy that Lizzie's little sister or Lizzie caught rats (with what) to feed the zombies. Little girls are freaked out by rats.

Anyone else betting that Carol comes back and saves the day somehow? Is she popping up on other shows?

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not little girls growing up in the Zombie Apocalypse that treat freshly turned walkers like puppies.

20. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    OK, so, not sure what episode you guys are on there in the U.S. but the last episode that aired here ended with
    the Governor showing up just outside the prison
    . I'll leave some stuff spoiled because I don't want to ruin it for other people....

I'm still enjoying the show, but I'm wondering when the prison's perimeter fence will completely break due to massive numbers of zombies leaning/pushing it over - they already broke through before. I reckon that's how most of the remaining Woodbury people get finished off, especially now that
    the doctor they brought with them is dead.
    I'm also wondering when their water source will fail / become contaminated, since there seemed to have been shortages in the previous episodes (i.e. Carol fighting with the drums, trying to extract the last of the water and then nearly getting bitten when outside trying to clear the line). I think the water supply failing will be what gets them out of the prison...