Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] APRIL FOOLS [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Apr 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ended up going down a bit of a YouTube rabbit hole this morning with a few "vocal coach reacts" type videos... watch an opera singer introduce herself to Ozzy via Randy's Crazy Train, and Rush via Spirit of the Radio... and it's hilarious how she's surprised "oh, these are good!". Welcome to what most of us learned 30 years ago.

Finished it off with some "drum critic" who reviewed a Neil Peart solo for the first time.

It was pretty funny watching his mind melt for 10 minutes.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At our farm the ones mocking me and then eating my tomatoes got the bullet. The ones bullying my bird feeder at home are scaring everything off.

3. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You have to leave a corpse as a warning.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

if the animal is smart, this isn't a bad idea actually. I did this with hogs around the house and it was effective. If I shot one in our yard, I moved it to the other side of the road to feed the vultures, and their friends would stay away for a good six months or so.

I can only imagine birds are idiots with their smaller brains, but I'm not an expert. I guess it never hurts to place a head on a pike and see?

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the same way I keep the neighborhood kids out of my yard.

6. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Tweeder, do you think you'll enjoy jail?"

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crows are super smart and remember a lot. Not sure about mockingbirds. There is a disembodied wing about 10 feet from my feeder a cat must have gotten. Hasnt phased the birds yet.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

How is a drum critic not aware of Neil Peart?

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’m not pointing fingers at the guy in this video, bur Quite a few of those music reaction videos have to be fake because they’re probably made by click-chasers. I can buy a vocal coach listening to something like Type O Negative for the first time. But “Hotel California”? No, you cannot be in your forties, professionally tied to music and never have heard that song once.

11. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To continue on with the topic of “celebrities do some shitty things sometimes,” did you hear about this?
    Eric Church cancels a concert in Texas because it conflicts with his desire to be at the Duke/NC game.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news...ert-ncaa-game-unc-san-antonio-1235218562/amp/

I give him credit for honestly admitting the reason. But damn, three days before the concert? That’s just shitty.
    But if I know anything about the average bro-country fan, the outrage will last about three days anyway.

So will he have to cancel another concert to watch UNC play Monday?

12. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I checked. No schedule conflict that day.

I was hoping Duke would win. But if there had been a concert on the same night as the championship, I would’ve rooted for UNC - so that he would “have to” cancel another show.
    Or, put on the show, which basically would’ve been an admission that it wasn’t supporting UNC that made him do it, but rather hating Duke.

But I think we can all agree that the true losers tonight are all the children in each fanbase whose parents made the choice to honor prior commitments and not cancel them last minute, thus robbing them of priceless memories and happiness that can never ever be attained otherwise.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He's now come out and said he knows it's selfish, and he's putting on a free show as compensation.

I'd say this is pure damage control at this point, otherwise that would have been the message from the start.

14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it was a plan that was probably in the works from the start.

In my theory, the first few days were:
    -scoring tickets to the game
    -trying to smooth things over with the venue people - which I’m guessing were super pissed, as they couldn’t schedule anything that quickly to make up that loss of revenue, and probably told him to shove it on rescheduling.

Then there was the cancellation announcement with no reschedule and immediate refund, and after that trying to find a venue for a free show.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if some fallout with the venue was a wrench in his plan.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, but I bet the first layer were his managers. His Road manager, etc, would have freaked out because they live day-to-day with the logistics, cancellation policies, people, etc. This kind of a bullshit cancellation will probably do their name in the industry more damage than the artist's. The artist just fucking shows up... he's led to the green room, fed some lunch meat and a beer, then led on stage to do his thing. That is all made possible by the road manager and production crew hired by the artist, and they've been around much, much longer than that artist. And they will carry on doing the same thing for the next artist. And so on, for decades.

I can only imagine how much beer they owe people as they apologize profusely for their fucktard of an employer.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And also, at least one of these guys was probably already at the venue, or at least in town.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Usually a whole whack of Production people with a fleet of vehicles running around setting up hotels, setting up the venue, doing pre-logistics.

When I was involved with Lilith Fair, we had 2 full buses (12+ people) show up at least a week in advance as the scout crew who would meet the local staff, get everything set up, so that when the "real" crew showed up (28 buses at the height of the tour), they knew where to go and what to do. Never mind the per-artist roadies who were there to support their specific artists.

Those were 12+ hour days put in by those people.

I don't think most people truly understand the amount of work that goes into doing a major artist tour.

For a festival like Lilith Fair, we did 2 years of pre-production work before we hit the road. 1 year of that was renting out the PNE grounds/stadium in order to get the sound/light shit all sorted out. We were different in that we owned all the sound/light/stage gear, and had 18 semi's that would pull up and unload and set up 3 stages at a venue. Every major artist was flown in for a week or so to the pre-production to get them sorted out with sound/lights for their part of the act. (Dixie Chicks to Erica Badu to Tracy Chapman to you name it). We had 2 buses that were just rolling accounting offices. Every night was run under it's own LLC, and every bill/invoice/band was paid out and closed by the end of that show. There were 6 accountants doing the books in real time at the venue... paying every expense by the time we were packed up and on our way to the next one. Some venues, like The Gorge in George Washington, was a 2-3 day event, others were a single day. The year end books for the last one I did was 198 venues/shows, so 198 sets of books that all rolled up under Lilith Fair.

My gig was to have a team that ensured every venue had internet, wireless, and that all the digital aspects of the show (from laptops to digital recording gear) all was supported and working.

Some great experiences came as a result... like the time we did tech support for Bif Naked and her band in the green room, got them all sorted out... only to be recognized by her 4 years later in a Vancouver strip club. I was in line with some friends were in from out of town at a place called Brandi's. Bif was a VIP who had a permanently reserved table. She came in, saw me in line, did the big "OH my god, it's Nettdata!!! what are you doing here? You have to join me!" Needless to say my out of town friends were 1000% beyond impressed, I felt like a rock star, and we got to drink and party on Bif's tab all night.

I also got to be the backup guitar player for Sarah so that when her 2 other guitarists had to fuck off from tour for some reason (vacation, family emergency, etc), I got to fill in and play. As a hack guitar player, it was beyond cool... and landed me a Diamond Record award from Sarah.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And say what you want about Bif... she knows how to party.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Those were fun times.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So what your saying is there are dozens, hundreds, thousands(?) of people that owe their livelihood to Church touring? He could have pulled an Axel Rose and left two minutes into the first song or OD'd cancelling all foreseeable shows while robbing his fans of the memories and traumatising his wife and children with his death. In terms of canceling a show this is still low on the scale of selfish reasons in my mind. There was never not going to be a makeup date, the only damage control is that it will be free.

#40 Kubla Kahn, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.