Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] CANADIAN THANKSGIVING [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Heads up, Amazon prime day today and tomorrow. Pray to our amazon overlords and stock up on things we’d ordinarily buy, except for much less, like k-pods. And things we’ve wanted to buy, which are now steeply discounted to the point it makes sense, like the lifestraw which is $10.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Where do you live that buying a lifestraw makes sense? Flint, MI?

Like Black Friday, there doesn't seem to be too much that appeals to me out there. I was hoping there was going to be a surprise stock of GTX 3080 video cards, but I guess not.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I just picked up a few Hue lights for my new office reno at about 30% off, which is still 50% overpriced.

I had no idea it was Prime day, so of course my new plasma cutter showed up yesterday, having bought it Friday. Not sure how deep those Prime Day deals go though... probably no difference. I refuse to look.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I've looked a few times and nothing appeals to me. It's usually stuff I wouldn't buy that is discounted. I also get the sneaking suspicion that a lot of these items are up priced before being discounted.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

It’s one of those things that will go into my emergency backpack for long road trips. If I had an immediate use for a water filter, I’d have bigger problems on my hands. It’s currently a $10 solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, but if I encounter that problem and don’t have a solution, I’d be SOL without a solution.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I checked the price on the plasma cutter I bought, and they bumped the price for Prime Day, making the final sale price (after a 25% discount) the same as I paid last week.

Go figure.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I hike in the backcountry, I prefer water purification tablets as emergency measures. Lifestraws are fine but will clog if your water source isn't clear enough. Water purification tablets will work on anything, and there's no possibility of a mechanical failure.

Yes, the water doesn't taste good, but there's virtually no possibility of a failure that will leave me without water.

They aren't unlimited, of course, but if I run into a situation where I've gone through 20 gallons or whatever of purified water, no fire to boil anything, and no end in sight? Well, I'm probably pretty fucked and a Lifestraw doesn't have an unlimited lifespan either.

Doesn't make it a bad purchase at all, they're handy little items. Just throwing it out there.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

This is my thought process as well. We keep iodine purification tablets in our emergency bag for that reason. The life straw advertises itself as able to purify a fuckton of gallons and other lofty claims but when I dug into it awhile back to determine if they were worth it, it is much as binary states.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

bleach works too. Never been in that situation, don’t wanna be. But I’ve always kept some in a cleaned out CBD bottle than has a dropper as the cap. Worth giving the lifestraw a shot for $10

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure, like I said, it's a fine, cheap purchase. And the water will taste better.

Just sharing my own risk assessment as someone who spends a lot of his life hiking pretty far from civilization. I haven't considered bleach, I guess as long as you know the ratios it would be fine.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Seems relevant with that discussion about moving from hurricane prone areas:

Sent by my sister who lives in southern Louisiana. She also hasn't ever had significant damage or had to rebuild so that might play a large part in her attitude.

Screenshot_20201013-115838_Messages.jpg

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I do really miss good food. We had 3 or 4 easy favorites in town plus breakfast and donut places we loved. There ain't shit here to eat that's good except Mexican food. The tacos are the bomb. But sometimes I crave a gyro or a donut or something else entirely.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah those FEMA rations must be delicious.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I would not live somewhere where the food is terrible. I just couldn’t.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Welp, you can kiss the entire Untied Kingdom goodbye. Every word is in their vocabulary, except for “cuisine”. Does not exist there.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I dunno man, I had some Indian food in London that was out of this world. Sure, their pub food is more or less the same, but there are some amazing restaurants there.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Indian food comes from India. You’re going to find edible food in England, you’re just going to go broke finding/eating it. I could never eat what, they as people, eat on the regular. It’s the opposite of normally arranged food. Ham, brown beans and mushrooms for a hearty breakfast? Fuck off.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

my understanding is that anything worthwhile in London is that which is imported, including the food

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well I’ll give that to you. The “Full English Breakfast” thing is garbage. I’ve had it multiple times in an attempt force myself to think it’s good and it’s not. It’s like they nationally adopted the food of the lowest rung of the socioeconomic ladder from the Victorian era. Cool. Their scullery maids and chimney sweeps can keep it.

20. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

But High Tea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.