Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] COLLECTOR CAR APPRECIATION DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Jul 12, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Globally used security software for Windows pushed out an automatic update that killed windows workstations and servers. It causes machines to blue screen on reboot, and there is no remote fix to push out to fix it. Tons of windows servers and workstations around the world were automatically killed overnight. It’s a global computer outage for a number of very large systems and services.

https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-windows-outage-crowdstrike-global-it-probems/

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nett can most definitely explain it better than me, but it's a platform that
    and most computers, tablets and other devices that use Microsoft, were facing the blue screen of death this morning. There was an update that had some faulty code in it, I think. So, lots of major corporations - airlines, banks, transit authorities, hospitals, 911 centers - were all facing major trouble, communication and security issues this morning.

And, on top of that, overnight, Microsoft had a problem with 365 stuff like Teams, that was a separate issue.

ETA: Yeah, what Nett said.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It’s one of if not the largest computer outage ever seen, all because of Crowdstrike.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So in other words, “Worst kind of disaster you can dream up.” Jesus, they poisoned the earth.

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, I work in a warehouse that runs conveyer belts of clothing in cardboard boxes, and we were dead this morning. Hearing about coworkers whose families had redirected flights due to it…just a typical Friday in 2024.

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why does it only hit some Windows computers? Both mine and my wife's are working fine this morning. Or should we just not reboot?

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's ironic is software designed to defend, essentially carried out the biggest network attack ever.
    Screenshot_20240719_105819_X.jpg

#89 AFHokie, Jul 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
  10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Glad I'm on vacation this week. We have CS deployed across all of our servers. Got a page at 2 AM, turned my phone off and went back to sleep. Felt good.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know nothing about tech but I read this morning it was more a server/database level issue and not the individual personal computer level issue?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's a paid-for commercial add-on for Windows, by a non-MS company... so it only affects Windows OS, but not everyone uses or pays for the security software that caused it. Lots do, though... lots of big companies.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nope... tons of end-user workstations at work are down. Half my team (the part that runs Windows) woke up to their dev boxes rebooting over and over again.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Crowdstrike runs at kernel level, or at least requires access to it. Basically it's the lowest level of a system that allows hardware to talk to software, etc. It requires that access so it can start monitoring before malware in the OS starts to function. When something fucks up at that layer, it takes everything with it.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... our company also uses Bitlocker, so in order to do the fix, they first had to unfuck the Bitlocker servers to get individual overrides for everyone affected, then they had to boot into safe mode... so much fun. While a bunch of us running Mac and Linux just went on about our day.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is workstation just a fancy word for personal computer? Aren’t work computers normally run through company servers unlike a home computer that wouldn’t be? Generally curious. I might as well be a boomer with my level of computer knowledge.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Workstation is just a generic term for a computer/laptop used to do work, as opposed to a server. It's usually a standalone computer running its own OS, with software to try and keep it secure, such as VPNs, or Crowdstrike. It usually is at a desk with a monitor, keyboard, mouse (or laptop in a home office), as opposed to a server that sits in a rack or in the cloud, without monitors, keyboards, mice, etc.

18. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is one of the biggest reason I've always wondered why governments don't use Mac & Linux as a standard instead of the exception.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Our CSIS (cia/fbi) run Mac for exactly that reason.

20. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is a wise security choice to put things on a system that the average user isn't using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.