Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] FISH FRIDAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Mar 22, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not terribly complex, but more complex than usual. I lived in two states, so I had to track how much DIV/INT income was made while a resident of each state in order to avoid paying state tax on income I didn't have to, and I had a big capital gain in the latter half of the year, so I had to annualize income to avoid an underpayment penalty. It was more terrifying just the sheer size of that red number when I entered everything in.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I had a $5k refund last year. This year I paid $6k. Bummersville.

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think our CPA charged us about $6k to do our taxes in '22 & '23. Guy before him charged us $2500 and he SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Federal raids in several houses in several different states means they're bringing the heat. If I was worth about a billion, had a private plane and my houses were raided, I'd get the hell outta Dodge also

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It's spring here, but I drove up a mountain for a water sample and it was still goddamn winter.

IMG_20240326_144014_(2000_x_2500_pixel).jpg

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks miserable. Sorry.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

YOU LOOK MISERABLE WITH YOUR STUPID BOOGERY EYES

8. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I, too, paid someone this year to do my taxes. Was a lot cheaper than this though! 66,000 JPY

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

We did soda/pop last week, with your permission and help I need to start up a Grest American Fast Food Debate.

Friday we’re driving to Florida, probably the way of the eastern coastal plain (I77, I95) out of Detroit. Vacation is when we eat guilt free and the family is excited to try a couple fast food places they’ve only seen on TV commercials before. Some of the questions include:

Are Rally’s and Checker’s the same place (they both look like Canada’s “Fast Eddie’s” drive-thru)?

Carl’s Jr or Sonic?

Whataburger or Fatburger?

Hardee’s or White Castle?

Church’s or Popeyes?

Many questions, many debates to be had.

10. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rally's and Checkers are essentially the same thing. One of them bought out the other, but they kept the original names as they were already established in their respective markets. They have the same menu, same ingredients, same everything else.

Carl's Jr AINEC

I prefer Whataburger, but both are meh.

Hardee's and White Castle are completely different types of burgers so a comparison is difficult. Hardee's is my go to fast food place in the south. White Castle is more nostalgia for me, but some people seem to enjoy their offerings.

Popeye's is the best fried chicken fast food place in the country. I don't care what anyone else says about this somewhat local franchise or this regional franchise, Popeye's is better than all of them.

11. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Assuming you're taking 26 from 77 to 95. If so look up Sweatmans BBQ. it's about 15 minutes off 26 with a way to loop back further down the highway. Rural Americana BBQ joint.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are no Carl's Jr on the East coast. Same menu / company, but those are Hardee's.

Most White Castle's are in the midwest. Typically, the similar thing you'll find are Krystal's. There are a few White Castle's in Florida, because it has so many yankees.

Popeye's is definitely better than Church's, but I've also found, after having a Popeye's near me, that the local management can turn it into shit. I normally really like it, though.

Try out Chicken Salad Chick, but you won't get one of those on I-95 until you get to Georgia. And, if you haven't stopped at a Buc-ees, that's a whole experience, cheap gas, and lots of food, including fresh brisket. You won't hit one of those until around Florence, SC.

Zaxby's is a good call for chicken fingers and fries, Five Guys Burgers & Fries has good burgers and excellent french fries, but they aren't fast food per se, as they don't have drive thru, and I guess you didn't ask about Chick-Fil-A because you're already familiar with it? Definitely a good chicken sandwich.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I drove through the South once and was shocked to walk into a KFC and realize it was an all you can eat buffet. It explains so much.

14. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got five words for you. Bojangles is better, you nut!

Unless you catch them when they're fresh, you could cut glass with Popeyes biscuits.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I've only had Popeyes on that list and I threw up at a rest stop on I-95 near Portland, ME because of it.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We haven’t had a Hardee’s around us in a long time. As I remember it nothing to really differentiate itself from Burger King or Wendy’s so I’d say White Castle since its offerings are a thing of its own.

I’ve been meaning to try zaxbys. Bojangles is good and the last few Popeyes I’ve been to were both dingy and poorly run. Dry old food, apathetic workers. Raising Caines is the newish chicken hotness around here. Kind of expensive for what it is but the sauce is the bomb.

One of these road trips I’m going to find out what the hell a Shoney’s is and stop in. Have seen the signs since I was a kid on trips to Florida but we never stopped and ate at one.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have fond memories of Shoney's breakfast, but I haven't been to one in over 30 years. I don't think we ever ate any other meal, just breakfast before church.

18. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't eat Shoney's. It is Golden Corral with a bear mascot.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

unfortunately we live near a tesla "dealership" and cybertrucks are starting to pop up on the roads. Not hyperbole -- those are literally the ugliest vehicle I have ever seen. They don't even look like a real car. They don't even look "finished." It's like someone slapped some sheet metal on a lego car and called it a day.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this is one of the reasons chains like Chipotle, Five Guys, In-N-Out etc have really blossomed. It feels like the employees actually give a shit. CA has just passed a new law/bill/whatever that fast food workers min wage is $20/hour but I think there will be stigma for working at McDs, BK, Taco Bell etc. I'd take a $2/3 an hour pay cut to work at a "quick food" place instead of a fast food place. Those places will get the best $20/hour employees and the fast food places get the bottom feeders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.