Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] HAPPY FATHER'S DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jun 16, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Holding your breath simulates ~8-9 bars. The Titantic is at… 400 bars. Yikes.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Surely windows could never be a structural weak point, and say the aerospace industry would never invest decades of engineering into understanding the load distribution around windows in order to prevent accidents at a mere 0.5 bar of difference. An untested off-the-shelf solution should be totally fine for 400 bar.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Oh yeah. You go out like Michael Biehn in “The Abyss”. The ultimate implosion.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I don't know much about calculating loads or what the exact pressure at certain depths is....

But to me and my dumb brain, deep sea is about equal to deep space and you better be prepared. What they did sounds a lot like winging it.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

400 bar is 5800 psi. So for every square in is about 3 tons of pressure. So if your window was 12" by 12" is almost 835,000 pounds of pressure that is a fuck ton trying to seal it

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Well fuck, that's a lot.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Deep space is only 1 bar (one atmosphere, 14psi) difference from what we walk around at, and it's a vacuum.

Deep sea is 400 bar... 400 times that pressure difference... and it's trying to crush you.

The silly comments that CEO was making around some of the silly technical standards and stuff around this kind of submersible was absolutely criminal.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I meant more in terms of inhospitability (did I just make up a word? Yeah probably ) to humans.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I hope, for the sake of the families, that it was a quick implosion. The idea that they are still alive somewhere is really hard to fathom. It honestly makes me anxious just thinking about it, and my brain is not normally capable of much sympathy and empathy and related emotions after the surgery. Realistically, the only rescue that will happen at this point is a body retrieval, unless they just happen to be found floating on the ocean within the next like 24 hours and whomever finds them happens to have the tools necessary to open the damn thing.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Only 2 final outcomes I see. One is something happens and they get squished by almost 1 million pounds of force, or something happens and they suffocate. I pick the quick death.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

“Sorry for your loss, ma’am. Here’s a Ziplock baggie of shark shit that used to be your husband. Our condolences.”

14. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder in an adrift situation how long I would last before I beat the CEO to death with a pipe wrench to conserve oxygen.

15. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

just choke him. If you’re going down too, might as well feel his dying breaths against your hands

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If those idiots didn’t bang out the s-o-s distress call instead of random banging every 30 minutes they deserved to die.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They did a "validation dive" in 2018 down to 4000 meters with this Titan sub, and then were supposed to have done another Titanic dive in 2019 or 2020? Did they swap out or change the viewport? It seems weird that they'd do a validation dive to prove it works and then after it works, change something.

Based on some of the reporting, I thought this was like their first trip, first time in this sub. But, the company has been doing other submersible dives and expeditions since 2011. (Including one in Seattle / Elliot Bay with Ben Haggerty (aka rapper Macklemore), featured on Discovery Channel in 2014.) In hindsight, it certainly seems like there were some rescue planning errors, but otherwise, this was just a tragic accident.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like the implication here that the recovery teams searching for a tin can full of people deep in the ocean are going to disregard metallic banging since they didn't spell out "SOS."

"Hey Joe, did you hear that? Sounds like a wrench hitting a metal wall."

"Yeah, I heard it. Didn't use morse code, though. Must be some other metallic object being pounded by a living being down at 14,000 feet. Maybe it's a squid playing drums."

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.