Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] HAPPY HOLIDAYS [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Nov 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use these on my helmet to cover my ears in the winter. I can still hear with those, and with a neck gaiter, and helmet rain cover to block the wind from coming in the vents I'm usually warm enough without overheating.

My eyes also tear up when it's really cold like when I took that photo so I'll add the goggles as well as a balaclava.

A lot of people use ski goggles, but make sure you find a pair designed to fit with a helmet. Otherwise they're too tall and your helmet will push them down.

Edit: fixed the link

#21 AFHokie, Nov 18, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Had my dinner party tonight. It was a bit nuts, but man the food was amazing. I was quite happy with how everything turned out.

Was super happy with this Mediterranean Salmon recipe. Didn’t get an after pic, but there was none left.

The seafood chowder and rib roast and roasted tomatoes and mashed potatoes were all perfect.

IMG_3291.jpeg

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

For anyone curious... that had sardines, olives, capers, chili pepper, rosemary, lemon zest/juice, and italian parsley.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rager Sat night at the GTE household. Got a new Miele vacuum (other 20 year old one still works, just giving it to one of the kids)

Attached Files:

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha... I think I have that same one... bagless, does a killer job. Highly recommended.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had salmon last night as well, with white wine, lemon juice and capers. It was fine, but yours looks amazing. I’m going to give your recipe a try.

Thanksgiving will be at our house this year, for the 23rd year in a row. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls and a variety of pies are all on the menu.

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We're having dinner at my parents' house this year so it'll be the usual favorites: turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing. And our sons' girlfriends are coming as well, which is gonna be a culture shock for all parties involved.

One has celiac disease and therefore gluten-free. The other will only eat chicken, no other meat. Both of them eat very little any given time, so that'll be a blessing.

My family can be a little... less genteel than the Waltons, let's say. There will be f-bombs from one brother and probably inappropriate jokes from the other, and one sister in law whose volume is always at "11". Of course my brothers could be on their best behavior, we'll see.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Turkey is about as close to chicken as you can get, excepting those ground fowl you need to pull some Danny-The-Champion-of-the-World-ass poaching maneuvers to get. If she insists on chicken and nothing but chicken, grabbing a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from Costco or other grocery store is a dead simple solution.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude I know and I’ve pointed out that they are almost identical.

The rotisserie chicken is a good idea. I’ll tell our son to go buy one this week.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Swanson frozen chicken dinner... just peel off the lid and drop it in front of her.

11. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Exactly.

13. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That’s pretty funny. I might do that as a joke.

Shes a great kid though, so we’ll get her some chicken.

14. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Sister and her wife clean houses for a living. They swear by Miele vacuums and will fight anyone who says otherwise lol

15. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the first year I'll be in charge of the turkey for Thanksgiving and I'm fairly nervous about it. My plan is to smoke it, which should be tasty. I'm going to be watching it like a hawk to make sure I don't overcook it (any recs for internal temps to pull are gladly welcomed). Wife's gonna have do the driving as I plan on starting early (~7 AM) and you gotta have drinks while your sitting outside watching a bird cook.

BTW here's my plan for seasoning the bird.
    • rub in the salt under the skin the night before for a semi dry brine (I go easy on salt these days)
    • chop up rosemary & thyme and mix that in with soft butter and get that under the skin the morning of
    • Throw some poultry rub on the skin (let me know if you have a good recipe/brand)

16. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you're someone that likes really crispy skin on a turkey, mix in some baking powder with the salt and salt the outside of the bird as well, not just under the skin.

As far as a poultry rub, I've been using this recently and really am enjoying the flavor it puts out.

Regarding temps, I try and pull mine when the breast is right around 150 and the thighs are around 160, because you're going to have carry-over cook that will keep you out of the danger zone as far as salmonella is concerned. Once it's done, I just foil it and let it rest for at least an hour so the juices can redistribute, then carve.

Also, depending on your smoker, if you have the ability, it's actually easier if you're able to use a vertical roasting rack like this, (just don't put an actual beer can in your turkey) as it works similar to an induction oven and allows the turkey to cook from both the inside and the outside, which will make it both cook faster, and more evenly throughout the whole bird.

And for anyone that's worried about the whole "cook to 165" thing for turkey, here's the actual chart directly from the USDA on how long at what temperature you should maintain to completely remove any threat of salmonella.

Times for given temperature, fat level, and species needed to obtain 7-log10 lethality of Salmonella*

----------------------------------- fat%=12 ------------------------------------

Temperature (°F)
    Time for Chicken Time for Turkey
    136 81.4min 70.8 min
    137 65.5min 58.5 min
    138 52.9min 48.5 min
    139 43min 40.4min
    140 35min 33.7min
    141 28.7min 28.2 min
    142 23.5min 23.7 min
    143 19.3 min 19.8 min
    144 15.9 min 16.6 min
    145 13 min 13.8 min
    146 10.6 min 11.5 min
    147 8.6 min 9.4 min
    148 6.8 min 7.7 min
    149 5.4 min 6.2 min
    150 4.2 min 4.9 min
    151 3.1 min 3.8 min
    152 2.3 min 2.8 min
    153 1.6 min 2.1 min
    154 1.1 min 1.6 min
    155 54.4 sec 1.3 min
    156 43 sec 1 min
    157 34 sec 50.4 sec
    158 26.9 sec 40.9 sec
    159 21.3 sec 33.2 sec
    160 16.9 sec 26.9 sec
    161 13.3 sec 21.9 sec
    162 10.5 sec 17.7 sec
    163 <10.0 sec 14.4 sec
    164 <10.0 sec 11.7 sec
    165 <10.0 sec <10.0 sec
    * The required lethalities are achieved instantly at the internal temperature in which the holding time is <10 seconds.

17. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just did a "test" turkey for my wife to take to her work last night using the above, and here's how it turned out. (Yes this post is part bragging, but part showing my bonafides.)
    IMG-20231120-WA0006.jpeg

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That turkey has its hands on its hips saying, "I can't believe you did this to me."

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Very moist. Assuming lots of foreplay ahead of the cook?

20. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I told my wife it looks like it wants to speak to my manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.