Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND! [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Looks like I've come up with a new little project for the 5-day long weekend I'm taking.

Was using the BBQ last night and the shitty cast-iron grill/grate is all rusting out... it's starting to crack, and POP (what the fuck kind of metal pops like popcorn when it's heated?!?) and it's generally just a light-weight piece of shit that has outlived its usefulness.

I went online and found some replacement grills that were more in line with what I want... like the big commercial ones in a steakhouse... and they were $350 or so for 24"x18"... US... before shipping. Well, fuck that. I'll pay through the nose for hot sauce, but not a hunk of iron.

After a bit of measuring and sketching this afternoon I went out to the metal supply shop and got me about 150lbs of 2" square rod, and some angle iron. I'm making myself a big fucking replacement exactly how I want it to be.

I want it big and heavy... lots of mass to store shit-tons (well... MJ/kg, really) of thermal energy, so when you drop a steak/roast/blob-o-protein onto the grill it STAYS HOT. In the corporate rush to make stamped metal and light-weight bbqs/grills that are more affordable and cheaper to manufacture and ship, it's been a race to the bottom to see just how shitty they can make them and have people still buy them.

This one will not be of the cheap variety.

A 24"x18"x2" steel plate weights in at about 190 lbs, give or take... so I figure that using the rods as grill bars, cocked at a 45° angle so the pointy corner is facing up, and maintaining a 3/4" gap between the bars... yeah, this thing should be plenty fucking skookum.

Also picked me up some new cut-off wheels for the grinder and refilled the C-25 for the mig.

And a flat of beer.

Yeehaw, motherfuckers!

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Come Tuesday I'm going to become the most annoying person in the world to the company that's supposed to deliver my car.

Have you ever watched Better Off Dead and seen that annoying kid saying "Where's my $2?" That's going to be me except it's going to be "Where's my car?"

I paid for my Z28 in full on 7/17. Then I had to wait 21 days for paypal to release the funds. Then the seller asked me to wait a week before pick up. Finally I scheduled pick up on 8/16. It still hasn't been picked up.

The car is a couple miles off I-5. I've driven a truck and I know companies have drivers that run the I-5 corridor between Seattle and LA constantly. Worst case scenario is my car should be in LA and be waiting for them to put together a load from LA to Vegas. But no, my car is still sitting in fucking Oregon and I haven't heard a word from the shippers.

The shipper's claim the average wait time is 6 days and they aim for a 14-21 day delivery time. I seriously doubt it's going to be picked up over the Labor Day weekend or that I'll have it in their 21 day time frame, so it's time for me to annoy the hell out of them.

*Ring* Where's my car?

2 hours later:

*Ring* Where's my car?

And so on and so on until I get my damn car.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm betting Bewildered is out joyriding in it while drinking moonshine that is disguised as sangria.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I tried a lot of different crazy recipes before I realized that ultimately what tasted best was also the most basic:

2 parts vodka, 1 part peppermint schnapps, 1 part creme de cocoa

Do that and it will be delicious. But I am not responsible for any and all resulting bad decisions/injuries/jail time/kids.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Add that to hot chocolate, and you've got my favourite winter drink... the Polar Bear.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

You got that wrong. Coffee instead of hot chocolate. I make that on like the three times it gets below freezing in texas.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What the fuck does a brain-damaged Texan know about Polar Bears?

nothing

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks similar to a mudslide:
    • Vodka
    • Bailey's
    • Kahlua
    • Cream (substitute Ice Cream if you want to go heavy, half and half if you want to go light)
    • Ice
    blend and pour into a glass drizzled with chocolate syrup.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Close, for sure... it's also been a traditional Canadian Military celebratory drink for decades... long before the mudslide ever was, I'd bet.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I went to Alaska on my honeymoon and I'm going there in a few days?

Also, just a thought, but based upon how much time I spent growing up on a sailboat, especially in the new england area... I reason I could still make a good drink that warms you up.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You think Polar Bears live in Alaska? There's your first sign...

Enjoy Alaska... been on 3 cruises there... and a couple of fly fishing trips. Phenomenal times.

Can't stand the tourist-trap small towns, but absolutely loved just sitting on the balcony of our room and watching the scenery go by.

And the special coffees. HOLY SHIT the special coffees. We were so drunk and so caffeinated I don't know how we could speak. Nothing better than watching glaciers calve on deck while you're hammering back plastic yards of ale that are special coffees.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Don't lie. You know damn well the traditional Canadian drink involved sucking off moose. That's why they called them "mounties."

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

This will be my 4th cruise there. To the same ports. Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, Victoria. We got a balcony, because duh.

Royal Caribbean is doing an "all you can drink" pass that my wife and I locked in at $50/person/day. Their mistake, not our problem. So yeah... I'm gonna make up for that $50/day just with bourbon in my black coffee in the morning.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The hilarious part of the RC cruise is the servers with the "drink cart" out on deck... they're all from some Pacific Island somewhere, about 5'2", and bundled up in Arctic Expedition type clothing... freezing their asses off, looking at all the crazy tourists that are standing around out in the cold.

They do a great job keeping you buzzed though, so more power to them.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The best part though is around 8:30 when like 75% of the passengers go to sleep because they're all over 75. By 10:00, my wife and I basically had the ship to ourselves.

On this trip, there will be 92 of us. And I'm considered one of the "tame" ones by comparison, if that gives you any idea. Lord help this boat.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I did a heli-glacier trip on one of the cruises (which was pretty cool), and when we got out of the helicopter, as the last flight of the day, the guide said, "oh cool... no old people with oxygen tanks... we can actually go walk around for a while!" And we then spent about an hour crawling around the glacier. It was a blast.

17. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The return of college football means one thing .... Bourbon Saturdays. Well, that and gambling, and grilling copious amounts of meat on the grill. So that’s like three things.

.....and unfortunately right now, my Longhorns disappointing me.

Happy Saturday!

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Sort of. In actuality I was stoned eating the whole kitchen. I went to El hubs for assistance finding the bagel that I made but it turns out I already ate it. Welcome to Oregon.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It also sounds like one of my favorite drinks at McGuire's in Pensacola, the Frozen Irish coffee. Lots of variations on a theme. So good.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.