Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND! [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Time to see how easily everyone gets offended:

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you're interested in a more geeky, in-depth discussion about rockets, this video on his 2nd channel is a longer discussion with the CEO/Owner of the rocket-making company... pretty interesting stuff... like did you know that a lot of rockets use cork (as in the same shit that stoppers a wine bottle) as an insulator? Neither did I.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was fucking epic.

4. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The kind that gets clapped out to the point that it gets water trapped in little crevices inside it.

I spent the day with my nieces, which means I am exhausted and my back hurts. I had to watch this video at least a dozen times today, so now you guys have to watch it at least once.

5. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damnit. Just reading the words “baby shark” means that song will be stuck in my head for days.

In other news, I made almond granita and ate it with chocolate chip brioche and it was delightful, but certainly not as good as the granita and brioche I had in Bologna. From my house, I can walk to a gelato place, a DQ, and a froyo place with one million toppings, but I can’t find granitas to save my life (tummy).

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Labor day is rolling in!

I have drunk watermelon in the fridge, a case of Heffe downstairs, homemade cookie dough ready to bake, 2 batches of pizza dough made with another being kneaded. I love the dough setting on my bread machine. I am going to made pudding cups with ganache on top but only just now came up with a solution on containers for individual portion cups. I have sangria in the fridge also but we will probably not drink that today. I hate having to do a Walmart run for a few items but I also need to finish weed-eating the front and ran out of string halfway through.

I am really looking forward to our party today! It is ridiculous good luck that el hubs already knew people from his military background at this job. We are basically being plopped into a semi familiar social group, which is nice when you're so far from home and family.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have unfrozen my pellet grill auger, just need to get it all back together (GMG are not user friendly in this regard) then Ill be smoking brisket and chicken.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sounds like fun.

In other news, I fucking hate my 10 year old, $200 MIG welder... I really think it's time to upgrade to a more modern, hobbyist multi-process machine.

When I was welding roll cages back in the day I got to use the shop's $10k Space Age, state-of-the-art welder and materials, but my home box is a Princess Auto special from, literally, 10 years ago.

I have cut and welded the main frame for my new bbq grill, and while my welds have hints of normalcy, my grinder just sits in the corner chuckling to itself knowing that it's going to be in heavy use shortly.

Tomorrow is going to be a few hours of cutting the remaining bars to length... I don't have a metal band saw, so am using a big 14" abrasive saw... which is messy, noisy, and takes a long time... but it's cheap and it works.

It also sucks welding and grinding and cutting when it's crazy hot and humid out. Not fun.

But at least now it's drink-o-clock.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Damn dude just 10 years??

I have super basic harbor freight flux core welder that I’ve beat to hell and it’s still going strong on about 12-14 years. Way I figured, it was so cheap, and it’s what I got when I taught myself to weld, that if lasted even 3 years I was cool with it.

Probably use it once a week. Eventually I’ll upgrade, but it hasn’t died yet so I’m not gonna replace it. And a buddy has a MIG welder I can use when appropriate.... guess I just got lucky.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It was literally the cheapest MIG welder that Princess Auto had on sale that came out to about $140 Canadian.

It's a giant piece of shit.

It "works", but has like a 10% duty cycle, and does not lay down a pretty weld.

Doesn't matter whether I put flux core through it, or use C-25, it lays down a shit weld. It'll be somewhat structural, but I would not want to cut and etch those welds to see just how bad they are.

BBQ grill? Perfectly fine.

Roll cage in a car? FUCK NO.

11. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Lincoln 200 or 250 amp with digital voltage and wire speed. Tweco gun. 35 wire with 45 tips. 75/25 gas. It won't be cheap, but for the money it's as reliable and versatile as it gets and you'll probably never need another welder again.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, depending on the type of bbq grill, you could likely just use a heat gun and a pair of lineman's pliers to make the fix.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Ok Internet, you win tonight.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"Fix"? I'm making a new one from 2" square bar. It's already motherfucking heavy, and everything I want in a bbq grill. It might take 2 of us to haul it up to the bbq when it's done.

#74 Nettdata, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To be clear.. this grill will outlast the BBQ... and I fully expect to replace the BBQ and keep the grill.

Part of that is because I've drilled out the pilot holes in the burners and it easily goes North of 900°F, which is what I want when searing/charring a sous-vide prepared roast/stead... just give me the max heat for a short period of time.

Needless to say that is NOT what cheap-ass Chinesium cast iron grills are meant to support/sustain.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Well fuck. It never rains in texas. Or at least it hasn't in like 2 months. And now we're looking at a week of monsoon rain, and I gotta drive to the airport tomorrow.

Besides the emergency tarp and bungee cord method, any other quick remedies for keeping a shitload of suitcases dry in a truck bed?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Remember that taneau on my truck that you made fun of?

Ironic, huh?

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I figured you’d all just use Piggly Wiggly bags anyway, so water wouldn’t be an issue.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yup. Sure is.

I use my truck bed too much for stuff that wouldn’t fit in it with a taneau cover. When we went skiing and it started snowing on our bags, I just wrapped them in a tarp like a burrito. But these rains are monsoon style and I have a feeling that won’t work this time.

20. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Go get some extra large lawn bags and put you suitcases in them. If you tie them up right and don't drag them across your driveway, it should keep them water tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.