Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] INTERNATIONAL BEER DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

so yesterday was 14 years from my brain surgery, 13 years since I met my wife, and now I'm very concerned that this friday is the 13th

2. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah we picked a good weekend to go camping. At least it will be nice and sunny as we pack up to leave

BAE68BF8-E180-4231-BB86-B6D68A6A6A56.jpeg

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oof, I don't envy the humidity.

I'm just glad we have central AC. A lot of places in the coastal parts of the state do not and were struggling with the last heat wave.

4. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had it installed this year and holy hell is it the best thing in the world. Of course with the geothermal likely going in this Fall we’ll have to sell the unit. But the cool air from 500’ below ground will do pretty much the same thing so it’s all good.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I am really tempted to see if I can get geothermal installed in my place. It just seems like the right solution, especially with our cold winters.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’d love to have central air. 20 years of installing box units in the summer and taking them out in the fall has long gotten old. Although it’s a hell of a workout twice a year. This year I did it with a recently healed busted leg, and I can hear my future hernia giggling in anticipation.

But it’s all good. My wife is saving for her retirement (she’ll far outlive me) so I suck it up.

No I’m not bitter.

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We’ve burned wood in an outdoor boiler for the past 15 years, averaging 7-8 cord of wood a year. But with one son off to college and the other a senior in high school, the days of having help are numbered. Plus, I’m getting older. So we’re looking ahead 10-15 years when this will be paid for and our heating and cooling will be “free”. And on average, the payments won’t cost too much more than what we pay to heat this place anyhow.

More companies are doing vertical drilling which makes it a better fit for the suburbs. We’re rural, but don’t have enough yard to go horizontal.

8. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Precisely why we made the leap. With all that “free” money the government was throwing at us, it was a no brainer.

Of course then three weeks later the geothermal company decided they were available in our area of the state… go figure. Oh well, my buddy who owns his own hearing and plumbing company got to make a little money.

Anyway, it’s pretty affordable depending on the size of your house and is WAY better than window units. Maybe give it a look!

9. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From my post in the Rant and Rave thread.

Going to Napa this weekend for a food event. It's described as "Heritage Fire is a live fire festival celebrating global cooking techniques. The outdoor feast offers an endless array of sustainably sourced food from the region’s top family farms, local purveyors and chefs. From whole pig, lamb and goats to responsibly raised fish, duck, chicken and locally grown heirloom vegetables, there is something for everyone. Beyond the food, the all-inclusive event includes free flowing wines, cocktails and craft beer. Come toast with us as we eat, drink and celebrate live fire cooking."

https://cochon555.com/heritage-fire/napa-valley/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46454216@N03/albums/72157709941128337

I am beyond excited for this. Staying at a nearby hotel for a couple nights and planning on a weekend of getting drunk on Napa wine, gorging myself on smoked meats and laying the wood to the wife.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Very cool! Looks like a blast.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not an avid Jeopardy watcher but not picking Levar Burton feels off. Give it to some inside producer? Ehh. Wasted opportunity.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To be fair, that "inside producer" did a REALLY good job. He deserves a shot, in my opinion.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

His asking price for syndication was probably lower.

14. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Burton was easily the worst of all the guest hosts...even worse than Dr. Oz.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Goddamn, son. My lucky ass has experienced central air at home as long as I have had memories. When wifey and I first lived together we had an apartment box unit and yeah…. It still did it’s job well but at the end the results are night and day.

You CANNOT sleep in heat unless you were born into the fire.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

BLIND VISOR, reading rainbow, Roots, COME’ON MAN!

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

His naaaaaaaame is TOBY!!!!!!

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Burton didn't do great. I thought Ken Jennings was the best, followed by Mike the Producer, then Aaron Rodgers, then Buzzy Cohen. Bill Whitaker was okay, as was most everyone else. I thought Dr. Oz was awful. Dr. Gupta was okay, but it was weird having him follow Savannah Guthrie (she was better than most) and refuse to use the little step stool that some of the shorter ones use. The podium just hits in the wrong place and it was distracting.

19. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since you brought it up:

I didn’t live anywhere with AC, of any kind, until I was 21, and then briefly. Another 7 years would go by before I lived somewhere with AC on the regular. From the age of 12 through the first two years of college I lived at home, in an attic room, with nothing but a small box fan and one window. To say it was hot would be an understatement. But you get used to it. Oh - and when I was 3 I had heatstroke from playing outside all of a hot summer day, on asphalt, and my mother was inattentive at best.

Despite my early acclimation, I’m now older, fatter, and grumpier. I want AC.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There is no sin greater
    1D08349D-12B5-4E4C-BB15-05B4237919BE.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.