Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] LABOR DAY WEEKEND [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Sep 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

LOL spot on. It probably is, but whoever does the marketing for their pizza is the real genius. I just don’t get it. I feel the same way about Regina. I was probably spoiled with New Haven growing up, but I have never understood the raving about those places.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I swear to god these damn holiday weekends aren't good for me.

Last holiday weekend: broken leg, tore basically everything in my left leg below the knee

Today: nephew had a seizure, instincts kicked in again and I ran over there. On a broken leg. He's fine, going to hospital just to get checked out (guessing inner ear infection, maybe febrile seizure though his temp didn't spike). But now I'm gimp walking even more because I fucking sprinted there since apparently I'm the only one with a viable first aid kit to monitor until they can go to a higher level of care

3. Wut

Wut
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Hoffa was the original “Where’s Waldo?”

4. Wut

Wut
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I’ll be doing a little hurricane prep for Larry but we’re mostly ready already. I bought a backyard weather station and though it’s not in the best location for recording high winds I’m looking forward to what it tells me if Larry comes close.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

any recommendations on a good one? My boys are starting to get into it and I have a shitty old one on a post that doesnt work. Thing is already cemented and leveled, I just wanna find a solid one to put on top and there's way too many choices that all look the same

6. Wut

Wut
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I can’t recommend any because I don’t know enough about them to do so. I bought an Acurite through Walmart and it seems good enough but it’s only been in place for two weeks. It measures temp, humidity, wind speed and direction, and rain fall, and has a color display for in the house that also shows interior temp and humidity. It gives a “feels like” temp for what that is worth and is supposed to give a short term weather forecast but from what I’ve read it’s not that accurate.

Some are connectible to WiFi, the one I got isn’t. The WiFi connectible ones can be viewed from your phone etc. though I don’t know if that is of any significant value. Some of the WiFi connectible ones can also connect to the weather channel though I don’t know what advantage that would give you. I’m also wondering if some might be able to download data, if that were possible I’d probably do so because I’m a low level geek.

Mine only measures wind speed up to 99 mph, I was looking at one that went up to 112 but that wasn’t enough of an increase to make it worth the extra $50 or so to me. The low end ones I looked at mostly only went up to 99, I wanted something much higher but I think that would have meant a much higher end one.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

yeah there looks to be some that gather data and actually send personalized weather forecasts to your phone. Something that streamed info to your phone or had a companion app would be really interesting to me, and I know there's enough smart people on this board that someone has to know something.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How much are you looking to spend?

I don't have a lot of first-hand experience but a friend has this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI/

He did a ton of research before buying. He loves it.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

something in that range. Looked at that one specifically actually, thanks! As long as it works and is functional rather than bells and whistles for the sake of making noise, anything sub $300 is more than reasonable imo

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

*Laughs in Sailboat owner*

Nothing like spending several times that for less capable gear.

Screenshot_20210905-123451-719.png

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

if I was buying a weather station for a sailboat, price would not be a consideration. Raymarine is good shit. I learned the hard way what happens when someone doesn't check the weather report. Longer story than I have time to type out right now, but suffice to say my older brother is an idiot and we ended up on the front page of the newspaper (remember those) after we navigated a westsail 42 through basiclly a microburst and a cut in the jetties going into the harbor which we couldn't see until it was too late to change course.

Of all the crazy shit I've experienced in my life, outside of the brain tumor and covid, that was the only other time I was truly terrified for my life. Also: FUCK journalists sticking a microphone and tv camera in your face when you're still trying to emotionally process what happened.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know it's a tough call when you're out in stuff like that, but going towards land is rarely the safest move, particularly on a big, tough westsail 42. Land is generally where most of the dangers are during a storm like that. Best choice, if you have one, is get the sails down and motor in a safe holding pattern until the storm lets up.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Swell over surf.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

this was about 20 years ago. Unfortunately by the time it was on us, the bay we were in was too shallow to safely navigate in those conditions and getting to deeper water was a much much more risky option (crossing shipping lanes and the like, plus zig zagging through shallow areas out the inter coastal). Only option that made remote sense was to head straight for the marina we knew well. Everything was risky, just that one had the fewest risks — saying a lot I know — as we were already well underway and a boat with that weight is about as easy to stop as the Ever Given

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Old photos that are not only colorized, but digitally brought to life. It's quite haunting.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

anyone know of a good industrial fan? Like for workshop/patio/general outdoors? I'm talking one of those big ones that has wheels, a metal housing, tilts, is at least like 2 feet tall.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bought a 24" County Line brand from tractor supply for camping about 7 years ago. It has worked flawlessly. This thing stayed outside under our awning for entire summers when I was working in the park. I'm sure it got rained on a few times, at least, in that time and still looks nearly new.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I just picked up a Dewalt 20" fan for the shop:

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=dewalt+fan&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I'm super impressed with the quality of it so far, for the price.

[​IMG]
    They make a bigger one (24") that I was contemplating, but figured it was too big for my needs.

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-Wheels...d=1&keywords=dewalt+fan&qid=1630941307&sr=8-6

[​IMG]

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Or get yourself something you could turn into an airboat from Big Ass Fans (my favourite fan company):

[​IMG]

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm a fan of a YT channel called Project Farm.

The guy does some interesting, yet not necessarily super scientific testing of various things.

Today he posted one about water filters... it was pretty interesting, really.

But what is fucking hilarious is the bullshit that are the comments. SO many people have zero fucking clue about science. "Distilled water is bad for you! It will leech all the vitamins and minerals from your body!".

"RO water is just as bad!"

"The experts all agree! Look it up!"

Fucking retards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.